Cottage in Brecon, Powys, Wales, UK - Located On Stunning 100 Acre Farm In Secluded Valley, Leisurely Stroll To The Picturesque Crai Rese
The riverbank barn conversion (dated 1770) offers luxury accommodation for up to 15 people. Located at the Happy Horse Retirement Home, a stunning 100 acre farm in a secluded valley in the heart of the Brecon Beacons National Park in beautiful, spectacular countryside. The barn has been thoughtfully been converted to a very high standard to provide comfortable self-catering accommodation in three separate cottages that are rented as one unit. Blue Brook- Green Gallop- Red Ridge. Blue Brook has a large glazed dinning area with an oak dining table seating 15 and open plan sitting room so that everyone can eat and socialize together. The Crai river runs along the cottages and large outdoor BBQ area. There are numerous walks from the farm The picturesque Crai reservoir with Brown Trout fly fishing is within a leisurely stroll. Brecon is 14 miles, whilst the sandy beaches of the Gower Peninsula are a 45 minute drive. The area has abundant wildlife including otters, buzzards and red kites.
Top Traveller Review
Homely and well maintained
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Lovely cottages, in a very quiet location. Enjoyed having the horses and animals close by especially Patrick and Toby. Stayed for the weekend with some girl friends and it was perfect. Warm, comfortable and clean, highly recommended
Loved this place. We search hard for a suitable weekend cottage for a group of 11 of us and this turned out to be one of the least expensive and the best. It's just as it looks in the photos and the stream running next the cottage is a nice addition It's remote, right in the middle of the Beacons, but all the luxuries and amenities are there. The owners were very helpful in directing us on walks and for other activities. Totally recommended.
Never done a review before but this place is special. Me and my friends had a great time. The area is beautiful and accomodation is charming, very clean and finished to a really high standard. Great value for a group. I will definitely go back there again.
4 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
Homely and well maintained
The Happy Horse Cottages were as described, very clean, comfortable beds and well equipped kitchens which comfortably accommodated our family gathering of 15 with ease. Nicky and her delightful dogs made us very welcome. The property was in a peaceful location with a large outside seating area and BBQ. Would have enjoyed a larger TV screen for the 6 x bed cottage lounge.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We are ideally based for an activity break with a range of activity providers who can offer exhilarating and fun experiences for all abilities.
Sennybridge (7 min drive) Spar and Garage with cafe great for large greasy breakfast and small shop Brecon There are a number of fine butchers in town who specialize in local meat. Brecon hosts one of the best farmers market in the county fishmonger and greengrocer in the market hall, several supermarkets.
The Beach We are only 45mins drive from Swansea and the Gower for superb beaches and safe surfing
Public Transport. Being a rural area public transport is limited. Rail: The nearest station is at Abergavenny. Another option is Merthyr Tydfil both stations are about 40 minutes drive from Crai. Taxis operate but can be expensive. National Rail Enquiries: 0845 7484950.
Bus: connections are available but limited. Stage Coach is the main operator in the area: 0870 6082608. Cardiff airport 1hr by car - Bristol airport 1hr 45 min
Events Happy Horse Cottages are ideally located for the following local events:
The Hay Festival - Brecon Jazz - Royal Welsh Agricultural Show.
Happy Horse Cottages are ideally placed for you to discover the area and partake in activities of your choice.
The Mountain Information Centre is just 10 mins drive away. It has spectacular views and information about the National Park, walks on its doorstep as well as a tea room / restaurant.
Brecon is our nearest town, nestled into the Usk valley at the juncture of two rivers; its history extends back for more than 900 years.
Hay on Wye Famous for being the second hand book centre of the UK it has numerous specialist bookshops catering for every interest. Hay also has a thriving local craft industry and some wonderful antique shops. It is very easy to loose a day in this attractive town.
Walking Spectacular walks to Crai reservoir and the glacial lakes from the farm, some places of interest are highlighted on the map in the cottage and we are happy to advise you.
Mountain Biking Ride from the farm and at purpose built trails
Horse riding we don't offer any riding but you can ride at LLangorse Riding centre For experienced riders a friend of ours at Trecastle offers rides
Fishing As well as fly fishing here at Crai reservoir further beats can be discovered
Canoeing; Spend a pleasurable day winding your way down the River Wye and end up in Hay on Wye.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Friday but flexible.
Notes on prices:
Short Break 2 nights £995.00 sleeps 15pers.
Short Break 3 nights £1195.00 sleeps 15pers.
Weekly rate Friday to Friday £1795.00 sleeps 15pers.
May Bank Holiday- Xmas – New Year £2095.00 sleeps 15pers. per week
Price for late bookings or special offers, please ring or email.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Upstairs spacious bathroom free standing ‘roll top‘ bath, WC and washbasin (valley view) Downstairs shower room with WC and handbasin. Downstairs shower room with WC and handbasin. Upstairs shower room with WC and handbasin.
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 15 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedrooms 1 and 2 with double bed. Bedrooms 3 and 4 with twin beds. Bedroom 5 with bunk beds. Bedroom 6 with twin beds. Bedroom 7 with triple bunk beds.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Happy Horse is very environmental friendly the building is highly insulated and we ask guests to use our recycling bins and turn of lights etc. The barn is fully equipped with an integrated and certified fire alarm system. No smoking policy although there is a bucket outside for cigarette ends. Outside: There now is a games room in the old hayloft with table tennis and table football - it is only a short stroll to the beautiful Crai reservoir Large outdoor area with furniture and BBQ. Large paddock play area. mobile reception, Satellite Broadband on request. Storage for mountain bikes, canoes and surfboards. The River Crai runs at the back of the barns and is the boundary of the farm. You are welcome to stroll along the river and through our fields. Because of the horses children should be supervised at all times. Limited mobile reception, Satellite Broadband on request. Utility Room: Big chest freezer and lots of barn storage for mountain bikes etc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: linen included Other: Oak floors and staircases and welsh slate complements the original beams and stonework whilst each downstairs room benefits from warm terracotta tiles with under floor heating. Oak floors in the bedrooms upstairs with radiators.