Villa in Mount Irvine, Trinidad and Tobago, Caribbean - Peaceful Location, Views Of Golf Course, Minutes (by Car) From Beaches And Recreational Facilities
Mandevilla is a large open-plan villa, spread over two levels. Perfect for families or groups as it has large communal spaces plus areas for more private relaxing. The ground floor comprises the main open-plan living areas; large 3-sofa seating, kitchen, indoor dining area, TV-room, office area. 4 of the villa's 5 bedrooms flow off this level. On the lower level there is a large games room (pool table, table tennis, darts) and gym, utility room and 5th bedroom which opens out onto its own private patio with waterfall. The villa nestles under mature Samaan trees which give some shade to the free form pool. The garden is lush and well-maintained with lawn for recreational games alongside the pool. A large patio provides a pleasing lounging area with comfortable covered seating, large outside dining table and barbecue.
Top Traveller Review
Perfect holiday experience
About the Owner
We are an English family living in North London, two grown-up daughters who have left home and two teenage sons. Although we spend a fair amount of time lounging around in the garden and by the pool, we also enjoy sport. Pool and table tennis competitions are a regular part of our holidays, plus scrabble in the evening. We rarely read newspapers or watch TV (except for the occasional Premier League match).
Cooking is almost a competitive sport as our visiting friends all enjoy buying fresh fish from the fishermen on Mt Irvine beach and cooking up a storm in the evening, either inside or on the BBQ. George, a trained cook, is happy to give them lessons in doing local dishes.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Mandevilla offered the perfect set up for our multi-family vacation on Tobago. The vast and airy Great Room was a delightful spot in which to congregate every morning and evening, while the two separate wings (each with two bedrooms, all with en-suite bathroom, and a reading area) allowed each family to escape to their own space. There's a whole other bedroom/bathroom suite down stairs, too, for a third family, if needed. For us, the main attraction downstairs was the game room, which saw many a ping pong, snooker and darts competition! The villa is very well equipped and meticulously maintained by a chatty and knowledgable housekeeper/cook, and a manager who knows everybody and everything worth knowing on the island. It was a real treat to spend a week in such a beautiful and relaxed home.
Mandevilla is a fabulous house: incredibly spacious, comfortable and luxurious, yet very much a home. (March 2013)
1 holidaymaker review
Perfect holiday experience
Mandevilla is a stunning gem of a place in a perfect location. Elegant, spacious and generously appointed it is located in the heart of Mont Irvine, Tobago's most exclusive address. The view from the terrace opens to reveal a well-kown golf course peppered with palms and exotic trees. Mandevillas gardens are filled with colourful selection of tropical plants and flowers that surround a large pool and an outdoor jacuzzi. There is plenty of space to play, sunbathe, relax or savour alfresco dinning. We loved the open-space design of the ground floor with a triple height ceilings, big dining area and the fact that the rooms open onto a beautiful terrace where you can keep an eye on the kids playing in the pool. There are five big comfortable en-suite bedrooms and the decor and facilities are really first class. We were staying with a group of friends and their children and we loved the fact that there is a great games room downstairs where the kids could play to their hearts content without intruding. The villa also has a separate TV area, a little office and a fast Internet access so keeping in touch with work or home is really easy. During our stay we were spoiled by George, our fantastic housekeeper who looked after us and produced some very memorable meals. Always smiling he was a great source of local knowledge and custom. Our holiday was perfectly relaxing, romantic and fun. We couldn't have wished for more! We are definitely coming back! Beata
From the Owner
“Mandevilla was purchased over 10 years ago as a family holiday home. We chose Tobago for its natural beauty, friendliness of the people, relaxed 'liming' attitude and of course weather. As a family we wanted somewhere to retreat for a week or two and relax in a comfortable and appealing environment, with friends or on our own. We did not want a glitzy place and, although Tobago does encourage tourism, we like the fact that it has not taken over the island and also that many visitors come on activity-specific holidays (scuba diving, birdwatching, golf etc). On average we come to the island as a family about three times a year.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Tobago is renowned for its water sports: snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, fishing, jet-skiing, surfing and para-surfing. Horse riding is available, plus bike riding and guided walks into the Rainforest. A visit to the island's waterfalls is always delightful, plus a journey to Little Tobago to see the spectacular sea bird colonies. Tobago is rightly proud of its eco-consciousness and many guides and recreational facilities promote these credentials, such as turtle watching. There are two golf courses on the island and several locations provide yoga and message therapy sessions.
Tobago is a relatively small island (approximately 25x5 miles) so no beach is far away. The villa is within easy car access of several popular beaches (Mount Irvine, Grange, Grafton, Stonehaven, Pigeon Point, Turtle Bay). Grange Beach is a 7-minute walk across the golf course. Many more beaches are accessible by a longer car journey - the island is small but the roads can meander making a trip to beaches such as Castara, Englishman's Bay & Bloody Bay worthwhile but more of an excursion.
The only airport is A N R Robinson - it is about fifteen minutes away by car but there is no noise pollution from planes. The busy channel port of Scarborough is similarly nearby (20 minutes by car) but again the villa is undisturbed by activities or cruise arrivals. Car hire is essential in our view to enjoy the variety of sights, entertainment and activities that the island has to offer.
Mandevilla is within minutes (by car) of three villages. Buccoo is a well-known coastal village for recreational activities - home of the famous 'Sunday School' (a regular and delightful sunday evening of dancing, drinking and socialising) as well as Easter goat and crab racing (we kid you not!) Carnbee is 5 minutes down the road, here you will find shops and local facilities - plus a little further on the large shopping mall. 5 minutes (by car) in the other direction is Pleasant Prospect.
The villa is well placed to access banks, supermarkets, local places of interest (Buccoo village). Several delightful beaches are equally nearby, as well as a golf course on the villa's literal doorstep. We are happy to give guests our personal recommendations and preferences but we have found that people quickly find their own way around the island, with the help of our housekeeper and the literature left in the villa. A car is necessary to visit the more remote parts of the island - we have found that guests discover places that we have never visited and we delight in sharing these discoveries. Our favourite restaurants and activities now tend to be centred on the villages near the villa (..are we getting lazy after 10 years?) But each year we enjoy the changes that the Island reveals. Websites such as MyTobago and SimplyTobago provide very helpful information, plus of course the official sites provided by Trinidad and Tobago. The villa is managed for us by Villas of Tobago, whose offices are nearby. Christine Charbonne and her team are skilled at meeting the needs and requests of guests. Our housekeeper, George, is also a most useful source of information. He is a good cook and will produce meals on request.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
1 May 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Full payment prior to accessing villa, by bank transfer or credit card payment. Deposit required.
We require one clear day between bookings to ensure the villa is cleaned and ready for occupation.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“This is an island to be enjoyed by those who like active holidays (we choose watersports), chilling (liming as they call it in Tobago) and eating Caribbean food. The villa is also our home so we keep it looking appealing and well equipped so that we can enjoy walking into it each time we visit.”
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 5 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 6 - Shower Enclosure
- All bathrooms are fully tiled, with showers and WC. The showers are spacious with tiled bases, making them suitable for 'bathing' small children. There is a guest WC off the main living area. Additional shower and WC in the gym.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: King size bed, TV, en-suite. Bedroom 2: twin beds, en-suite. Bedroom 3: twin beds, en-suite. Bedroom 4: Queen double, en-suite. Bedroom 5: 4 single beds, en-suite. All with air conditioning.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Mandevilla is a very well maintained holiday home, constantly refreshed by the owners. The large 'grand room' has 20' ceilings with a sail-fan lazily turning. The open-plan nature of the villa gives it a pleasing, relaxed ambiance. Large doors onto the garden give an 'outdoors-in' feel to the villa - the covered patio is very much an extension of the main living area. The villa also has several relaxing areas for guests to spend more private time should they wish, for example the lower level games room, TV area or even bedrooms (all of which are large). Outside: The villa sits in its own tropical garden, nestling beneath mature Samaan trees. The private driveway curves down vegetation much loved by birds of all types (humming birds, banana quits, Mot Mots). The private free-form swimming pool is approximately 10x6m with a slow whirlpool and waterfall. The pool is paved but there is a lawn alongside, usually where the pool loungers cluster - plus a gazebo and hammock. The large patio is naturally very popular for lounging and accommodates the outside dining table (10/12 seats), barbecue and covered seating area. The garden overlooks the Mount Irvine golf course and is completely private - not overlooked by any nearby villas. The vista from the seating areas of uninterrupted, maintained nature. The Caribbean sea cannot be seen from the villa but the crash of surf on 'big wave' days is often audible - making the surfers happy. Utility Room: The utility room is on the lower level of the villa. It has a large capacity washing machine, tumble dryer, sink and housekeeper area. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and towels are included, the bedrooms are well furnished. Linen is changed every 3 days, towels more frequently/as necessary. A housekeeper / cook comes each day to ensure the villa is kept clean and well maintained. Other: There is a TV room with large seats, an office space with sofa The lower level games room contains a pool table, table tennis table, darts board plus relaxing seating and 'play space'. The gym is in a separate a/c room off the games area.