Cottage in Chelmondiston, Suffolk, England, UK - In An Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 10 Minutes Walk To Riverside Hamlet Of Pin Mill
Elm Cottage is in the heart of the thriving village of Chelmondiston, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty just ten minutes walk from the riverside hamlet of Pin Mill. This Victorian semi detached cottage has been fully refurbished recently. The work has been done to a high standard with a big emphasis on energy efficiency. It comfortably sleeps six adults in one double and two twin bedrooms, plus two more on sofa beds. There is a bathroom upstairs and a shower room downstairs. The main living area includes a new kitchen with granite work surfaces, range cooker, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and microwave. There is a dining table, sofas and armchairs, a TV/DVD, and an eco friendly wood pellet stove. Also downstairs is a cosy sitting room with an open fireplace, and a utility room with a washing machine and tumble dryer. The cottage is at the end of a 50m path from the road so, while being convenient for local shops and services, it is also quiet and safe for small children.
Top Traveller Review
Fantastic Cottage, Lovely People
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
August 13 - Great location. Enjoyed the local walks. We will remember the beautiful views, the sunshine and the sight of our four kids covered in mud by the Butt and Oyster. Simon, Nottingham
September 13 - The house is very comfortable and in an area with lots of things to do. Graham, Sevenoaks
October 13 - A lovely cottage in a lovely location – great for dog walking. Janet, Morpeth
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Fantastic Cottage, Lovely People
I booked this cottage for my husband and his 3 landscaping engineers - thought I'd give them a treat as they normally get booked in to cheap b&bs when they work away. It was a treat as well - I came down and stayed on the last evening. The little village of Chelmondiston is idyllic. Lovely cottage, very nicely decorated with first class appliances and touches. There were two very nice lounges with log fires/burners. The large open kitchen was really nice. All of the bedrooms were spacious and nicely furnished and the power shower in the bathroom downstairs was great. The wifi connection was excellent also. Tim was great to deal with and couldn't do enough for us. We really recommend this place unreservedly and wouldn't hesitate to return again next time we have a job in the greater Ipswich area.
We enjoyed a wonderful three night stay to celebrate three birthdays.
The cottage was well appointed, clean, warm and comfortable and we did not want for anything.
We had a great riverside walk to Shotley and another walk around Wolverstone and the school where our lads attended 32 years ago as boarders.
The Butt & Oyster at Pin Mill is easy to get to and the food was extremely good, hot and well cooked. Overall we recommend this cottage as a very good place to spend a long weekend.
Wonderful dog walking weekend
A lovely quiet property, exactly as described. It was clean and very comfortable and we were left alone to enjoy the experience but the owners were very willing to give advice. The walks around the property were fantastic and we enjoyed the local restaurants.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Elm Cottage caters for a wide range of interests. The most obvious is sailing. The River Orwell and Pin Mill are just ten minutes walk away. There you can launch a trailed dinghy or day-boat. Ten minutes drive away is Alton Water where you can rent a dinghy or canoe. Cycling is easy going on the flat Suffolk countryside. There are farm tracks all over the Shotley Peninsula. You can eat well. Farm shops sell seasonal vegetables. The butcher in Chelmondiston is good. There’s another butcher three miles away at the Suffolk Food Hall, where you will also find a fishmonger and good restaurant. Jimmy’s Farm of TV fame is another couple of miles away. He does an excellent Sunday breakfast. And, of course, the Butt and Oyster is no more than ten minutes walk from the cottage. The Pin Mill gallery offers photography and painting classes. There are stables in the village if you’d like a ride or riding lesson. Shooting is available in season.
Chelmondiston is 5 miles from the A14/A12 junction and Ipswich town centre. By car, it's one hour from the M25 and one hour from Cambridge. The nearest airport is Stansted, which is 60 miles away. By train it's 65 minutes from Liverpool Street to Ipswich Station where there is a taxi rank and regular buses to Chelmondiston.
The nearest large town is Ipswich, some seven miles away. Dedham and Constable Country is about ten miles away. Felixstowe with its beach and pier is more like twelve miles. Aldeburgh is 25 miles away, Southwold a further 15.
Chelmondiston has an excellent village shop and butcher, there's also a newsagents, a post office and a Chinese take-away. Pin Mill has a world famous pub and a gallery/tea shop. The nearest supermarkets are a Co op in Holbrook 4 miles away, a large Tesco at the junction of the A12/A14 6 miles away and a Waitrose about the same distance across the Orwell Bridge. The nearest cash point is outside the Co op in Holbrook.
Chelmondiston and the hamlet of Pin Mill are on the Shotley peninsula, which is about 8 miles long and four miles wide and is bordered by the Rivers Orwell and Stour. At the tip of the peninsula at Shotley just a couple of miles from Elm Cottage you can look out to sea past the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich. This is a fabulous area for watersports with marinas at the neighbouring villages Woolvestone and Shotley.
The seaside towns of Felixstowe, Aldeburgh and Southwold are a 30 min to one hour drive from Elm Cottage. We are 20 minutes from the heart of Constable country including Flatford Mill and Dedham. The wool town of Lavenham is 40 mins west of Chelmondiston.
Pin Mill and the Butt and Oyster pub are less than half a mile away. The Suffolk Food Hall and Jimmy's Farm are three miles away. There are cinemas, a theatre and historic docks in Ipswich five miles away. The seaside towns of Felixstowe, Aldeburgh and Southwold are a 30 min to one hour drive from Elm Cottage. We are 20 minutes from the heart of Constable country including Flatford Mill and Dedham. The wool town of Lavenham is 40 mins west of Chelmondiston.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
2 Sep 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
1 Nov 2016 - 18 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Christmas and New Year
19 Dec 2016 - 5 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Contact us to confirm the dates that you require are available. A booking form will be sent to you, this must be returned with a 20% deposit. The balance must be paid no later than six weeks before arrival.
The rental price includes all bed linen, towels and tea towels, but not beach towels.
Preferred changeover day is Friday. Arrival time 4pm, departure time 10am.
Notes on prices:
We will consider adjusting the rate for both shorter and longer stays. Please contact us for details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- near the sea
- horse riding
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Upstairs bathroom with basin, WC and bath/shower over. Downstairs shower room with basin, WC and shower cubicle. All bathrooms are newly installed.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king size bed. Bedrooms 2 and 3 both with full size twin beds All rooms have space for a travel cot or child size mattress which can be provided. There are two double sofa beds, one in the sitting room and one in the lving room.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: We want Elm Cottage to offer you a bit of luxury while you are on holiday. You will find crisp 100% Egyptian cotton linen on the beds, bubble bath and fluffy towels in the bathrooms. The furniture is carefully chosen for comfort and style, there are original local paintings on the walls. We leave up to date DVDs for the flat screen TV/DVD. The kitchen has dualit appliances and just to make sure your stay gets off to the right start you'll find a bottle of wine, a cup of tea and a biscuit. Outside: There is a large cottage garden, with plenty of grassed area for children to play and a large patio with teak table and chairs. We provide a barbecue and charcoal, out local shop - just minutes walk away - sells great sausages, burgers and steak. A new addition this year is a raised vegetable bed. You can help yourself to lettuce in exchange for a bit of watering. Utility Room: The Utility room has a full size washing machine and tumble dryer. There's also a sink and ample space for boots and coats. This is perfect space to clean muddy paws. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: 100% cotton bed linen and towels are all included, they are changed and the cottage cleaned between each booking or once a week for longer bookings. Other: The sitting room has an open fire, an armchair and a sofa bed. It's a warm cosy room with a radio but no TV. Perfect for relaxing.