Villa in Santa Ana, Es Castell, Menorca, Balearic Islands -
No 31 is a large privately owned family villa in at the highest point in the residential area of Santa Ana. It stands in a pretty, landscaped garden with a large terrace to the rear where there is a medium sized pool with slide, a covered eating area with a tiled table and a BBQ. At the front is another covered terrace overlooking the lawned garden. It is a few minutes walk to the shops and restaurants of Es Castell and the restaurants and bars of Calas Fons and 10 minutes drive to Mahon
About the Owner
We have owned and loved our villa for thirty years and have enjoyed many happy family and friends holidays over the years as well as letting it to many satisfied clients. Our grown up children adore Menorca as much as we do and now return either with friends or still with us!. We love Menorca and are very interested in all the historical and cultural aspects of life there, as well as the wildlife, walks, and of course the beaches. Over the years we have made many friends, some ex pat, some local, who we value greatly. Our children now holiday at the villa with their friends, and our daughter, an illustrator, is working on a series of screen prints based on old photographs of Menorca. We do hope you will enjoy our home as much as we do. When we are in Menorca we are very involved in the life there and volunteer every Sunday gardening on the Isla Del Rey in the harbour. We are very fortunate now to be able to spend such long periods of time there particularly off season which is wonderful for walking, bird watching and visiting historic sights quite apart from doing maintenance on the villa!
Guestbook comments from the owner
We have had many visitors over the 25 years we have owned our villa and many return visits. One group have recently confirmed their booking for the 13th year for September 2013. We have a visitors book which we encourage our guests to write in.
1 holidaymaker review
large villa in need of updating
The villa is in a good location and is well laid out for large families.
Unfortuanately that is were the good points stop. The villa has no air conditioning and is very warm and uncomfortable at night. Because of this you have no choice but to leave the windows open at night. The villa is surrounded by very mature gardens which mosquitos seem to love!
All the bathrooms need updating as does most of the villa, it just feels a little bit shabby.
The swimming pool is small and has a sharp incline from shallow to deep which you can easily slip down as the floor tiles in the pool are slippy and need replacing. The plus point is the kids loved the slide!
We enjoyed our holiday despite the problems we encountered at the villa and would recommend Es Castell to anyone but not at this villa.
From the Owner
“We bought the villa in Santa Ana because we are very fond of Es Castell as a village. Before we had the villa we had an apartment, also in Santa Ana which we outgrew. It is near to Mahon, it is on the harbour, and it is a good base for going to the other parts of the island. Calas Fons is picturesque and only 2 minutes walk away. Santa Ana is lovely because it is a nice residential area with Spanish and English neighbours.”
Activity and Interests
2 mins walk to a small bay with boardwalk for swimming and sunbathing (no sand).
Es Grau beach, very shallow water, wide sandy beach about 20 minutes drive.
Mesquida beach, sandy beach, deeper water about 15 minutes.
Alcaufar beach, very child friendly, pretty inlet with deep sandy beach about 20 minutes drive.
Binibeca, Binisafua, 20 minutes drive.
Santo Tomas, Son Bou 30 minutes drive.
North coast beaches 40 minutes drive.
Mahon airport is about 15 minutes drive away. Ferries from Barcelona every day in summer and several times a week in winter. There is a good bus service every half hour into Mahon bus garage where you can pick up buses to Ciudadela and to most of the main resorts and towns. It is about a 25 minute walk into Mahon.
We always recommend hiring a car if you want to visit the lovely beaches and sights in Menorca and are happy to arrange this for you with a very reputable local company.
Es Castell 2 minutes walk. Calas Fonts 2 minutes walk. Mahon 25 minutes walk.
Places of interest near Es Castell include the Fortress of La Mola on the opposite side of the harbour which can be reached by road or by water taxi from Calas Fons. The Military museum is in the town square and the fortress of San Felipe is about 20 mins walk. The Isla del Rey military hospital in the harbour can be visited on Sunday morning by boat at 8.30 am returning 11.30am from Mahon harbour
The 1.pm daily organ recital on the magnificent organ in Santa Maria church in Mahon is excellent. Times and details of all these are in our information file at the villa, also maps and guide books. Also worth visiting are the many prehistoric sites around the island. The nearest is Trepuco.
Restaurants we recommend in Calas Fons are Trebol, Vel Parrender, Nicky's, Es Llenegal. In the village Restaurant Espagna.Kamachos. There are several banks, an internet cafe, supermarkets cafes and bars in Es Castell, also a good fish shop.
Diving can be done at S'Algar diving (20 mins drive) and sailing lessons at Menorca Sailing at Ses Selines (Fornells). Riding at Trebaluger.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
28 Apr 2017 - 25 May 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
26 May 2017 - 6 Jul 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
7 Jul 2017 - 31 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Price B September
1 Sep 2017 - 15 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
A 20% non returnable deposit is required at the time of booking (in the event of our being able to re let the property after a cancellation the deposit would be returned). Balance due 2calendar months before the holiday with an additional £200 damage deposit (see payment terms)which will be returned when we hear from our villa manager that all is well and our keys have been returned. Confirmation of booking will be sent on receipt of the deposit cheque.
Friday only Arrival after 2pm and departure 10 AM. Entire property must be vacated at 10 am including terrace and garden. This is not negotiable high season but may be at other times eg May,June early Sept.
MONDAY CHANGEOVER 1 WEEK ONLY 13 - 20 JULY
Notes on prices:
We are a bit more flexible about lengths of holidays in April and May. Ring us to negotiate a price for shorter holidays at these times 00208 994 3860. It will work out at about £100 per day at those times but have to warn that the flights are awkward then.
20% deposit on booking. Balance 2 months before holiday plus damage deposit of £200 which will be returned when the keys are sent back and we hear all is well. Unfortunately had to retain one damage deposit in 2015 for the first time in 200 years. Bank transfers only.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Over the years it has been wonderful to be able to entertain friends and family at the villa as it has so much space. It is definitely somewhere where people can do their own thing. If one doesn't want to hire a car there is no real need as one can buy everything one needs in Es Castell and eat out every day! The views are very special and in May 2011 the Red Arrows flew in Mahon Harbour to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the military hospital on the Isla Del Rey. We include a photograph. It was spectacular.”
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- pier fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- En-suite shower room with basin and wc to bedroom 1. Shared full bathroom bedrooms 2 & 3. En-suite shower room with basin and wc to bedroom 4. Shared full bathroom bedrooms 5 & 6.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 13
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, Upstairs. Shares full bathroom with bedroom 3
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, upstairs. Shares full bathroom with bedroom 2
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Large Double Bed, ensuite shower and wc. ground floor.
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, downstairs. Shares full bathroom with bedroom 6
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Single Bed, 2 bunk beds. shares bathroom with bed 5. Downstairs
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, En suite shower and wc. upstairs
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 13 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs Double bedroom 1, Double bedroom 2, Twin bedroom 3 Downstairs Double bedroom 4, Twin bedroom 5, Bedroom with bunk beds and single bed 6.
- Boat ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Veranda ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: The villa is very well laid out with plenty of space. Bedroom 4 downstairs has a separate entrance from the front terrace as well as access from the house.NO AIR CONDITIONING but 6 fans. Breezy position as high up. Beautiful harbour views Outside: To the rear is a large terrace accessed through the kitchen or through the side gate from the garden. This has a medium sized pool with slide, shallow wide tiled steps into the shallow end and ladder into the deep end (2 metres). BBQ (charcoal). Lots of terrace furniture including sun loungers, long chairs and reclining armchairs. Plenty of cushions. 2 Sun umbrellas. Covered eating area with tiled table and lots of chairs. To the side and front is a pretty, lawned garden with flowerbeds, flowering shrubs and large lemon tree. The front covered terrace has tables and chairs and a well stocked toy cupboard. To the side is a large drying area. The garage under the house is private and locked. The pool is cleaned twice a week and the gardeners come approx every 10 days. Utility Room: Washing machine is in the downstairs kitchen. No tumble dryer Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen and towels are included and will be changed on the middle Thursday of a two week stay. Baby bedlinen is in a cupboard downstairs with some "spare" sheets etc in case they are needed. Clients should bring their own swimming towels. Other: Upstairs sitting room with sofa and chairs, table and chairs leading onto large sunny terrace with views out to sea. Bedroom 1 has large terrace overlooking Calas Fons and Mahon harbour with terrace furniture