Country House in Symondsbury, Bridport, Dorset, England - On The West Dorset Jurassic Coast, Village Pub Just 50 Yards
The house lends itself perfectly as a great venue for all those family and friends celebrations or corporate events, and is an ideal place to base yourself for large family holidays. With eleven spacious double bedrooms and four large reception rooms, the house can sleep up to 28 guests at time, and is a great focal point for activities such as treasure hunts, walks/orienteering, art/music workshops, cooking courses, murder mystery nights, and office parties. It is set in a genuine and unspoilt Dorset village, just a mile and a half from the closest beach and a stones throw from the village pub.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Around one third of our visitors are return customers, and we are proud that The Old Rectory is bringing people back year after year. Guest's testimonials will be added soon.
5 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
We enjoyed a wonderful weekend at The Old Rectory,set in the lovely village of Symondsbury. We were a group of past visitors and new, family and friends aged 2-70. The house is spacious, beautifully furnished and elegant but very comfortable and homely. All of the rooms have very comfortable beds with good quality quilts. The bathrooms have excellent powerful showers or free standing baths. The house is very well equipped to cater for a large group, we all sat round to dinner and an evening buffet in the dinning room and enjoyed breakfast on the veranda. We all look forward to a return visit to this beautiful house.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The house can be a great focal point for activities such as treasure hunts, walks/orienteering, art/music workshops, cooking courses, murder mystery nights, and office parties.
1.5 miles to the coast. West Bay, Eype and Seatown are the nearest beaches. Slightly further afield there is Weymouth and Portland to the east and Sidmouth and Exmouth to the west.
Use of car is recommended. Nearest airports are Exeter (45mins) and Bournemouth (1hr15). Drochest and Axminster are the closest train stations, which are both about 20 minutes by car.
1.5 miles to Bridport.
9 miles to Lyme Regis.
20 miles to Dorchester.
25 miles to Weymouth.
38 miles to Exeter.
45 miles to Bournemouth.
130 miles from London (2hrs 45 mins by car).
Local town Bridport provides everything you'd expect and need for a break in Dorset (and more). Local greengrocers, butchers, farm shops, many great places to wine and dine, cinema, leisure centre, theatre, market on Sat and Wed, banks, supermarkets (inlcuding those that will deliver) and food delivery services (pizza, Indian etc).
There are countless places to carry out activities in the area, including walking, horse riding, go-karting, paint balling, hang gliding, golf/pitch and putt and sailing/fishing to name a few.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
21 Oct 2016 - 3 Apr 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
Changeover Day: Friday
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Deposit of one third of the total, with a completed booking form is required to hold a date. The balance is then due 8 weeks prior to your stay.
Notes on prices:
Prices given are a guide and are normally given on a per person basis. You can find our price guide on our website. Also, we can often give discount on late availability and early bookings. Please enquire for details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- freshwater fishing
- pier fishing
- bay fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 5 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 6 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 7 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite to the two largest bedrooms, plus two bathrooms with free standing baths, and four shower rooms. All with wc and sink. Three of the other bedrooms have sinks in. Downstairs cloakroom with wc and sink.
- 11 Bedrooms, Sleeps 28
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Bedroom 10
- Bedroom 11
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 22/28 (11 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Four with super king size six-feet wide "boat beds", one with king size four-poster, three antique King size, two twin-bedded rooms, a family room (with a double and two singles).
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The decor of the house is in keeping with its period and we have tried to marry comfort with the atmosphere of a traditional country rectory. The building lends itself to weekend house parties in a genuine and unspoilt Dorset village. Both William Barnes and Thomas Hardy were regular visitors to Symondsbury and we like to feel that they would be pleased to see how familiar the house has remained. The house has most of its original features including flagstone floors, open fireplaces, oak and pine floorboards, baize door coverings and a fine central staircase ascending through three floors. Children are of course very welcome. Outside: Grounds of about one and a half acres with large lawns and flower gardens to the east and south, very suitable for knockabout tennis games. Beyond the gardens is a beautiful valley with views to the sea cliffs and downland. The property is surrounded by rolling English countryside and is at the foot of the famous Colmers hill. Utility Room: A dishwasher, washing machine, cooking equipment, coffee/tea making facilities and cutlery and crockery for twenty-eight guests. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedlinen is provided and the house is cleaned and all beds are changed and prepared between each visit. Bath towels are not included. Other: Library/games room with quarter-size billiard table and table top ping-pong, and a breakfast room.