House in Bonsciano, Citta di Castello, Umbria, Italy - Quiet Location With Views Of Open Countryside, Yet Easy Access To Local Town
The granary is a recently restored property which has been renovated as a family home with an emphasis on comfort. The traditional features of the vaulted ceilings, original beams and cotto floors have been preserved, yet the house has been furnished to ensure that the guests have an enjoyable holiday.We have fitted a new kitchen including dishwasher this year. At the end of a 150 metre drive, just off a tarmac road, the house has excellent access, and yet is secluded and not overlooked. A car is essential at this property for guests to fully enjoy the fascinating hill-top towns in abundance in the area; however, we suggest that guests use the small local private railway line to visit the county town of Umbria - Perugia, and the delightful towns of Citta di Castello and Sansepolcro, the latter famous for its' Piero della Francesca paintings.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
The house couldn't be further from the sea but Lake Trasimeno has a man-made beach where sunbeds can be hired and water sports available. Guests often enjoy taking the ferry to the largest inhabited island Isola Maggiore for lunch - there is also a ferry to the smaller island Isola Pavese which is a wildlife sanctuary.
The nearest airport is Perugia - Ryanair flies from Stansted.
Ancona, Rimini and Bologna are approx 2 hours drive and Pisa and Rome 3 hours.
The nearest small town is Trestina where guests do their main shopping, and Citta di Castello is about 20 mins drive with its daily indoor market and main outdoor market on Thursdays and Saturdays. The beautiful ancient town of Cortona is about 45 min drive, and Perugia and Sansepolcro can be accessed by train.
The nearest town Trestina has 3 supermarkets each with a large deli where guests can buy all the ingredients for preparing delicious lunches and dinners, much of the produce is locally grown in the season. One supermarket has fresh fish, and they all have extensive bakery and meat departments - there is no frozen meat available in this part of Italy, so the beef, lamb and chicken are all fresh.
There is a wide selection of bread, the main local loaves are baked with no salt the local people have become used to unsalted bread since salt was an expensive commodity- so guests need to ask for "pane salato" if this is not to their taste!
Wines and many spirits (including the well-known Grappa) are still inexpensive, each supermarket has a large selection, but there is the local Trestina cantina which offers tastings of local wines including the delicious after dinner Vin Santo.
The town has several banks with cash machines, 2 garages, hairdressers, and a weekly small outdoor market on Tuesdays. There is a chemist and post office also.
Meat-eating guests must not miss the local delicacy -" porchetta" which is a boned roasted pig stuffed with fennel and garlic, and can be enjoyed in a bread roll at the market, or taken home to eat with salad for an easy, delicious lunch.
There are many good restaurants nearby, one serving the best pizzas (from their own wood oven )for miles, to the more sophisticated places specialising in home-made pasta, wild boar and truffles. The house book has many suggestions for different tastes, and we can advise and book if necessary.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Bookings will be confirmed on receipt of 50 % of the total rental - this should be sent at the same time as the booking form, the rest being due 6 weeks before the holiday.
Changeover day will normally be Sundays, but can be changed for convenience for dates outside the high season.
Notes on prices:
Prices out of season are negotiable please ask for winter pricing.
50% when booking, balance 6 weeks before holiday
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There is one bathroom on the first floor with shower, loo, bidet and basin, and a second bathroom with shower loo and basin on the ground floor.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 has a double bed, bedroom 2 has a double bed and bedroom 3 has twin beds.
- Outside: The covered terrace stretches the whole length of the house and looks out onto the grassed area of the garden, and the fields and woodland beyond. There is a pine table and chairs here for outside eating and along the end of the house there is another pergola overlooking the 12X6 metre pool. There are sunbeds and deckchairs for to reading and sunbathing and guests generally like to use the barbecue several times during their stay. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and towels are provided and the house will be fully prepared for guests' arrival. Beds are changed weekly, kitchen and bathrooms cleaned for those who book for more than 1 week. Extra cleaning is available to be paid locally.