Cottage in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa - Peaceful Retreat On The Border Of A Green Belt Conservation Area, Yet Extremely Centrally Situated
Set on the expansive grounds of one of the oldest homesteads on Table Mountain, Gaffer's Cottage has heritage status with architectural restorations recently completed. The cottage is north-facing, ensuring plenty of sun and natural light. Fully furnished and equipped, it has been renovated and contemporised without compromising its original character. Enjoy the airiness of high ceilings in the comfort of the tastefully furnished interiors done in neutral, natural tones. Make the most of alfresco living on the veranda or the lush courtyard. Enjoy a meal at one of the numerous restaurants in the vicinity. Or get take-outs from the variety of cuisines the area has on offer. The modern kitchen is fully equipped for the preparation of your own meals. During the chilly winter nights, the Morso fireplace and underfloor heating will keep you warm. Delis, a convenience store, supermarkets, laundromats, Kloof Street's many interesting shops and public transport are within walking distance.
About the Owner
My husband is an architect and I am an attorney. We love living in Cape Town and the City Bowl in particular.
Guestbook comments from the manager
We loved every minute of our stay at Gaffer's Cottage - could enjoy the cottage for much longer. All that we needed was there. We loved the feel of the place and the position is perfect. We will miss it and will be back again and again - Katherine, UK
We so enjoyed our stay - all that we wanted and more. Everything was so easy and accessible. Thank you and we will certainly recommend the cottage as great accommodation in SA and Cape Town in particular. - Gerome, Vancouver
Home from home - loved it! Hope to find it unchanged when we return. - Carl and Inge, Johannesburg
From the Owner
“We love the area for daily walks in the mountain, being so close to the city but tucked away in a green environment.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Cape Town is sheltered beneath Table Mountain at the nothern end of the peninsula, desribed by Sir Francis Drake as " the fairest Cape we saw in the whole circumference of the earth". The mountain is one of southern Africa's most beautiful natural wonders. Take the cable car to the top to experience the sweeping views of the peninsula and beyond. Or explore one of the more than 300 walking trails up the mountain. The mountain hosts most of the Cape Peninsula's 2 200 species of flora "fynbos". The V&A Waterfront is about 10 mins'drive, from where you can take a boat to Robben Island where the country's icon, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for many years. The city is steeped in history - either walk or use CitySightseeing Bus Tours to take you on tours of the city and the greater peninsula incl Cape Point. For wine tours, the famous Cape vineyards are easily accessible: The Constantia vineyards and the Winelands of Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek are all within a 50 min. drive
The city's beaches are legendary and stretch endlessly on both the Atlantic and False Bay sides. At Clifton or Camp's Bay (8 mins drive) are sunbathers, "in" crowds and beach restaurants, with Llandudno and Sandy Bay nearby. Waters are warmer on the False Bay side: St James, Kalk Bay and Simon's Town, Boulders - and the penguin colony. The vast Long Beach, stretching 6,5km from Chapman's Peak to Kommetjie, is known for surfing and horseback riders. North of the city is Blaauwberg Beach.
Cape Town International Airport is approx 20km from the cottage. Shuttles and taxi's are readily available. The two main highways are within easy reach as of course is Table Mountain. From the cottage the city centre is about a 15 minute walk (although the way back up the mountain may be more challenging!). Public transport is close by, but car hire for trips to the greater peninsula and Winelands is recommended - Stellenbosch and Paarl are about 45 minutes' drive.
All within walking distance are banks, autobanks, restaurants, supermarkets and public transport. Upper-Kloof Street is less than 500m, where you will find the first coffee shops and restaurants of the street. The cottage is about 3km from the city centre, the Company Gardens and the Iziko Museum of Art. For shopping and more restaurants, the V&A Waterfront is a 5 min drive. Clifton and Camp's Bay Beaches are about 8 minutes' drive from your doorstep.
Cape Town is remarkably small and good to explore on foot: the cottage is situated in the City Bowl, the area between Table Mountain and Table Bay and including the city center. The city is rich in history and culture. The architecture dates back to over 300 years and stunning contemporary designs are to be seen. A trip to the Bo-Kaap and townships is worth a visit.
At the markets you will find a diverse selection of goods. From African curios at Green Market Square, the Waterfront, and Green Point to great design and organic food at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock - a must on a Saturday morning.
Known as the adventure capital of the country, there are plenty of outdoor activities: walking and hiking trails along the slopes of the mountain, bird watching, mountain biking, surfing, windsurfing, diving, paragliding, sailing, world class climbing and horse riding. ArchiteCuisine. Markets. Art and Design.
Nightlife is great - for cocktails, restaurants clubs and music.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Quoted rates are guidelines only. Rates depend upon season, length of stay and number of people. Reservations to be confirmed upon payment of a 50% deposit. Balance payable upon arrival.
Changeover days are flexible, as are arrival times by prior arrangement. Departure times are between 10h00 and 12h00, unless otherwise arranged with us.
Notes on prices:
Please note that the pricing quoted is merely a guideline. Pricing from ZAR900 to ZAR1 800 per night, depending on number of guests, length of stay and season. Special rates for longer stays, monthly rentals or last minute requests. 50% deposit payable for confirmation of reservation, balance payable upon arrival.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Air Conditioning
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- The en-suite bathrooms are both done in white, with underfloor heating. The en-suite to bedroom 1 has a vanity cupboard with Caeserstone top, basin, bath and wc. Bathroom 2 has a shower, basin and wc. Towelling and gowns are of quality white cotton.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4/5 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with one queen sized bed, en-suite bathroom and built-in cupboard. Bedroom 2 with one double bed,en-suite bathroom with built-in cupboard. Bed linen is of quality white cotton. A sleeper couch for a fifth person can be arranged.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Gaffer's Cottage is the ideal place for those who do not wish to be in a suburb away from the centre of town yet seeking a tranquil retreat, with the hustle and bustle a stone throw away. You can take a lazy walk to enjoy something to eat or drink at one of Kloof Street's trendy delis or browse the numerous interesting little shops. If you feel like long lazy days on the beach, a 5 - 7 minute drive will take you to Camp's Bay or Clifton beaches. The decor of the cottage is meant to be welcoming without being personalised to afford guests the opportunity to feel at home with their own belongings around them. Outside living can be enjoyed on the veranda or in the courtyard. There is secure parking for one car. Outside: You will be aware of the magnificent surroundings of the Mother City with Table Mountain as your backdrop: from the lounge area, the north facing veranda is sun-filled with views of Table Bay and the city and ideal to put your feet up to relax in the sun or to enjoy the sunset with a glass of famous Cape wine. The kitchen door leads onto the courtyard with barbecue facilities, an outside table and chairs and umbrella - a cool alternative on those long summer days and ideal for a barbecue. Utility Room: Wifi, TV, DVD Payer, DSTV, aircon, sun umbrella, outside furniture, BBQ, underfloor heating, alarm system. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Weekly cleaning service is included in the price, but excludes laundry and ironing. Additional servicing- is available at an extra charge. Two towels per guest are supplied and towels and linen are changed on a weekly basis, unless otherwise requested.