Townhouse - Centrally Located Just Off One Of The Main Squares With A Range Of Bars And Restaurants Close By
This is a four storey imposing town house used as a family home and recently adapted for rentals. It is one of the largest rentals available in Alhama for a couple, or couple with small child. The rooms are light and generously proportioned, the living/dining room and the bedrooms having 11 foot high ceilings with balconies to the street. The house has been fully renovated, some rooms retain original floor tiles and most have original doors with double openings. Internet installed. The house is splendidly situated off one of the main squares in Alhama, with enough cafes and restaurants within a minute or two's walk for you to visit a different one every night of your stay. The street itself is completely residential. Three or four minutes' walk takes you into the Arab quarter with several important historic buildings, or to the gorge with its stunning cliffs and micro-climate of woodland and riverside.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
The main thing is I used to live in Alhama, so I know the town well. I'd still be there if things hadn't gone pear-shaped (why pears?) and may go back in the future. I visit two or three times a year so am up to date with what's going on in Alhama.
I work in higher education, look after the kids on my own now, and might do some dog fostering soon!
2 holidaymaker reviews
Great authentic Spanish accommodation. Local village on doorstep. Great local tapas bars and beers within walking distance and a good location for sightseeing the mountains and the coast by car. There are bakeries and shops within walking distance supplied and the owner ensured provision of needs on arrival. The accommodation is well equipped and clean. Village is lovely where you can see how real Spanish people live and a great gorge for walking, an old town, lovely church and museum.
We have visited this property in a number of times, at various times of year. It has charm and character, and in the heart of the small town. Close to the square with its bustling little bars and restaurants, local food shops, and a short walk to a 'proper' supermarket should you need it. The Gorge is a fantastic walk, steeped in history as well as wildlife and vegetation. The narrow streets in the older parts of the town are cool and picturesque: and with a hired car we explored a little - Granada was fascinating, and the drive to the coast was an adventure!
The house is obviously a family home and I know is still used by the family. This feels like real Spain, not a resort. Expect to try to speak Spanish ( we did it badly!) and the local food is great fun to try - don't ask, just eat it!
We went as an adult group, and with older teenagers. The only negative with the house was the steep steps - but that seems to be the norm in this part of the world - cool tiles and thick walls. Oh - take warmer clothes during the 'winter' months - the days are warm and sunny but nights can be cold! The wood burner was most welcome!
From the Owner
“Lovely large lounge with high ceilings, feels traditionally Spanish. Very close to all amenities. I love this area, even in high summer it's very green, because of the micro climate in the gorge and manages to catch a breeze most evenings. Lots going on locally with fiestas either end of summer and music most weekends in between.”
Activity and Interests
It is just under an hour's drive to the beach at Torre del Mar. From there, the modern coast road makes many of the Costa resorts easily accessible.
Granada airport is 45 mininutes away though is currently not served by any of the budget airlines. Malaga, served by a range of operators, is 1 hour 15 mins away. Airport transfers are available locally. Depending on what you want to do on your trip a car is not essential - we used to come here and just leave the hire car parked in the same place for a week!
We're about an hour from the centre of Granada, and the Alhambra Palace. Malaga, usually seen simply as an entry/exit point, actually has a beautiful old town and the Picasso Museum, is about an hour and a half away. Montefrio, El Torcal (bizarre rock formations) about an hour and a half.
Alhama de Granada is self-contained in terms of shops, bars and restaurants, so you are unlikely to find it necessary to go elsewhere for anything you would need on holiday. The town is perfect for a spring or autumn break. It has several historic buildings, and is surrounded by gorgeous countryside with easy walks into the gorge, through which runs the Rio Alhama. Washington Irving, the nineteenth century writer of 'Tales of the Alhambra' visited the town on his famous journey between Seville and Granada. The hot springs just outside town and which give the town its name, have been used since Roman times. Lake Bermajales, one of Alhama's best-kept secrets according to the Observer newspaper, (beach, swimming, picnics under pine trees, etc) is 10km away. Hotel Pato Loco (2km) has a large swimming pool, open to non-residents, set in pleasant grounds, with views to the surrounding olive groves. The pool is open 12 noon -8pm and it's often very quiet, especially on a weekday afternoon. Arrive just after 12 and you might have the pool to yourself! Visitors with children spend lots of time here.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
18 Sep 2016 - 30 Nov 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please contact us by either phone or email. We ask for 25% deposit to secure your booking, the balance to be in our account two months before your arrival. Payment may be in Sterling, Euros or PayPal. Please note if you cancel your booking within 6 weeks of your arrival date we reserve the right to retain your deposit if we are unable to secure a replacement booking.
We try to be flexible. If there are outging/incoming guests on the same day, departure is by 12 noon and arrival is after 3pm.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- House bathroom with bath/shower over. Original beamed ceiling. Second toilet in the hallway with wash basin.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 3
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleep 3 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king size bed made from reclaimed timber, high ceilings and balcony to street. Bedroom 2 off the main bedroom. Single bed, high ceilings and balcony to street.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: This is a fantastic, large house until recently used as family accommodation. It has been adapted for holiday rentals and although sleeps more than three, the decision was taken to offer it as a rental for a couple (small child optional), rather than squeeze in larger numbers. One bedroom is consequently locked and out of commission, and although the door through to the garage hasn't had a lock put on it, it is assumed you will have more interesting things to do on your holiday than go exploring the garage. The same goes for the attic room. The house had been recently renovated when we bought it and the renovation is entirely in keeping with the classical lines of the property. The house is quite well-known in Alhama, as for a number of years it was the home of a gentleman who had the role of a kind of community nurse. Lots of middle aged Alhamanians remember going there as children for injections! Need something with more more rooms/ outdoor space?Please see my other property S4088 Outside: There is a small patio at the top of the house. The stairs to it are steep, and it has no views. It is suitable if you need a little bit of private outdoor space, and is very sheltered. However, anyone who wants a large, accessible patio filled with plants should not rent this house! Utility Room: Next to the kitchen with washing machine, iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen and towels (except beach towels) are included in the price. The property is cleaned between lets, additional cleaning is by arrangement. Additional towels and bedding are provided for stays longer than a week. Other: Entrance hall with chaise longue and piano! There is also a door through to the garage here, though the garage is not in use for rentals. There is a room immediately below the roof which is used for storage and isn't part of the rental.