Cottage in Blackford, Nr. Sherborne, Wincanton and Yeovil, England, UK - Lovely Village Location, Easy Access From London, Central - Ideal For Walks, Sea, Historic Houses
Classic thatched country cottage with a large south facing garden in a small village. QiT have awarded Chapel Cottage 4* Gold. Fully modernised while retaining features - inglenook fireplace, woodburner, exposed beams, wood panelling, window seat, stone spiral staircase as well as oak main stairs, flagstones etc! Modern features inc underfloor heating (downstairs), CH radiators upstairs, range cooker, Megaflo hot water. The garden provides a lovely setting to relax with a tranquil stream, sun loungers, BBQ, table/chairs, large lawn (ideal for children). There are walks, historic houses, Jurassic coast and other places of interest within easy reach. With renowned pubs and restaurants in the area that provide something for everyone - from quaint to modern! With easy access to north coast (Somerset and Devon) and south coast (Jurassic coast of Dorset, Devon etc) and under one hour from Weymouth - site of Olympics 2012 sailing - there are sandy beaches, quiet coves, great walks and more! As featured in the Daily Mail.
About the Owner
Tim & Alison look forward to welcoming you to Chapel Cottage.
We meet all our guests on your arrival and will do our best to ensure you have the perfect holiday!
Do email or phone us if you would like any information or have any questions.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Jan: We all enjoyed a fantastic long weekend..... The cottage is so comfortable and cozy yet modern in all the right places. We shall no doubt return again.
Feb: Perfect escape. We had an amazing, relaxed weekend away and could not be happier with the lovely warm welcome!
Feb : Words fail to articulate the luxury and glory that is Chapel Cottage!
June: Once again a month of sheer bliss in the cottage. We love the "home away from home" feeling of being here
July: Wow! What a beautiful cottage!
Aug: Very relaxing. Has been a great base for the Olympic Sailing in Weymouth.....
Aug: One of the very best! ... had a great time and the facilities you laid on for us were excellent. Loved the freshly laid eggs! Will recommend.
Aug: The cottage is the best we have ever stayed in and we are sad to be going home so soon!
During 2012: We have enjoyed having guests from all over the UK, Spain, USA, Hong Kong, Australia and more!
see website for more
From the Owner
“The cottage has been in our family for more than 50 years and has been lovingly restored as well as extended. Fully modernised while retaining features such as inglenook fireplace, woodburner, exposed beams, wood panelling, window seat, stone spiral staircase as well as oak main stairs, flagstones etc! Modern features inc underfloor heating (downstairs), CH radiators upstairs, range cooker, Megaflo hot water, power showers etc. A large modern extension provides a light and airy space (3 sets of tri-fold doors!) with seating and dining area as well as extra bedroom and shower room/toilet. The garden provides a lovely setting to relax with a tranquil stream, sun loungers, BBQ, table/chairs, large lawn (ideal for children) ..... The village has around 35 houses and a lovely church.”
Activity and Interests
With easy access to north coast (Somerset & Devon) & south coast (Jurassic coast of Dorset, Devon etc) and under one hour driving from Weymouth - site of Olympics 2012 sailing - there are sandy beaches, quiet coves, great walks and more! Includes Lyme Regis, Lulworth Cove, Studland, West Bay, Weston Super Mare, etc. Along the Jurassic coast you can look for fossils, go rock pooling, paddling and swimming. Boat trips & Channel Islands (Guernsey or Jersey) – Condor Seacat runs from Weymouth.
Car is highly recommended. Airports in around 1 hour include Bristol, Southampton, Exeter, Bournemouth. Airports in around 2 hours include Gatwick & Heathrow
Ferries from Poole, Weymouth. Trains from London Paddington to Castle Cary & Waterloo to Sherborne.
Sherborne 7m, Wincanton 4m. Within 30 mins: The Bath and West Show/Showground. The Fleet Air Arm Museum. Haynes Motor Museum.
Longleat. Sherborne Abbey and Wells Cathedral. Glastonbury and Glastonbury Tor Clarks Village, Street. Cricket St Thomas Wildlife Park
Ham Hill Country Park.
Within 60 mins: Bath and Bristol. Salisbury and the Cranborne Chase. Cheddar Gorge. Stonehenge. Wookey Hole and Cheddar Caves Dorchester. The Tank Museum, Abbotsbury Swannery. Monkey World.
Information pack on arrival with supermarkets and other information. Shops in Sherborne, Yeovil, Wincanton, Castle Cary etc. An online shopping delivery can be accepted on the day of your arrival by arrangement
National Trust and English Heritage properties nearby include: Montacute. Stourhead. Tintinhull. Lytes Cary. Barrington Court. Glastonbury
Cycle Routes & Walks: Alfreds Tower (folly, wooded, superb views). Camelot (Ancient Hill Fort at South Cadbury). Ham Hill. Leland Trail (and cycle route). Somerset Levels. Somerset website (various walks/cycle routes).
Local good food pubs: Camelot, 2m, South Cadbury. Kings Arms, 2m, Charlton Horethorne. Mitre Inn, 6m, Sandford Orcas. Montague Inn, 4m, Shepton Montague. The Old Inn, 2m, Holton. Queens Arms, 3m, Corton Denham. Red Lion, 8m, Babcary . Stapleton Arms, 7m, Buckhorn Weston. Stags Head, 3m, Yarlington .
Local Restaurants: At The Chapel, 7m, Bruton. Capozzolis, 10m, Ilchester. The Green, 7m, Sherborne. Little Barwick House, 9m, Barwick. Paprika Indian Restaurant, 7m, Sherborne. Plumber Manor, 15m, Sturminster Newton. Rajpoot Tandoori, 7m, Sherborne.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A well-behaved dog is allowed by prior arrangement. Strictly no smoking in the cottage. Refundable breakages deposit of £200 required prior to arrival, to be refunded within two weeks of your departure (subject to satisfactory property inspection). 40% of rental fee due on booking to secure booking. Balance due 8 weeks before arrival. Booking form will be provided with full T&C or downloadable from owners website. dorset-somerset-holiday-cottages.co.uk
English-speaking owners on arrival & on hand to answer any questions and ensure your stay is pleasurable. Normal changeover is Saturday - other days possible. Check-in is after 2pm on the day of arrival. Checkout is by 10am on the day of departure.
Notes on prices:
Prices from £595 to £1090 per week.
Short breaks are also possible outside peak weeks. Weekend rates are available out of peak season (2 nights minimum normally) - but feel free to contact us whatever your needs!
Weekends can be Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun or Fri/Sat/Sun etc
Check for weekend rates from £250 - £350 for 2 nights or £350 - £450 for 3 nights
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 0% refund for cancellations more than 0 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The cottage is beautifully renovated to provide modern facilities while retaining all the olde worlde charm. Chapel Cottage is located in a no through road with only 2 houses beyond - so with almost no traffic in the lane you can truly 'get away from it all'. Blackford has a lovely church and there are walks, historic houses, Jurassic coast and other places of interest within easy reach. There are renowned pubs and restaurants in the area that provide something for everyone - from quaint to modern!”
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Television ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- limited accessibility ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, en-suite to Bed 1
- Shower room 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Main family bathroom is downstairs accessed off the kitchen/utility area and includes a power shower over the bath, marble floor & underfloor heating. Upstairs is an en-suite off bedroom 1 (includes power shower). Additional shower room downstairs.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, full size bunk beds
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Plus Cot Notes on bedrooms: Bed 1 - King size double bed. En-suite with power shower. Bed 2 - twin/double. 2 (3') full size single beds or double Superking (zip link) Bed 3 - bunk beds. 2 (3') full size single beds. Bed 4 - Double Many exposed beams, comfortable, C/H, carpets. Travel cot
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: A well-behaved dog is allowed by prior arrangement. Strictly no smoking in the cottage. With stream sensible precautions should be taken with babies/toddlers. Dog or baby sitters often available by arrangement An online shopping delivery can be accepted on the day of your arrival by arrangement. Outside: The south facing large garden is mostly laid out to lawns leading down to a tranquil stream. The stream is normally a few inches deep. Apple and other trees provide a wonderful country setting and shade - if required! In front of the cottage is a traditional stone patio facing onto the large garden. Tables, chairs, sun loungers, parasols, gas and charcoal BBQs etc are all provided to make your stay a pleasure! With stream and a small fishpond sensible precautions should be taken with babies/toddlers. There is driveway parking for 2 cars and additional space nearby in the lane. Utility Room: Washing machine. Tumble dryer facilities are conveniently available from the owners by arrangement. Solid oak 'back' door provides convenient alternative access to bathroom from garden. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels & linen are included and will be changed on request after one week or between guests. Cleaning is also weekly on request and between guests. Other: Ancient, stone spiral staircase (with slit arrow window!) leads from sitting room area to bed 1. French windows lead to the patio & garden. Hallway with flagstone floor, underfloor heating, wood panelling, exposed beams. Main stairs from hall.