House in Acharacle, Argyll, Inverness, Highlands, Scotland, UK - Peaceful Location On Family Croft. Village Services Nearby, Walking/cycling/kayaking Centre
Ardnish is a comfortable six bedroom house over two floors and located in the village of Acharacle. The village sits at the western end of Loch Shiel (fresh water) and close to the village of Salen on Loch Sunart (salt water). The whole area is steeped in history with strong links to the MacDonalds – Lords of the Isles. The area sits within many natural designations such as Special Protection Areas, Sites of Special Scientific Interest, RAMSAR site and National Scenic designations. Especially popular around the area are well marked and accessible walks with everything from a short 30 minute stroll through the Sunart Oakwoods to a more strenuous 3–4 hour trek across the hills on the Silver Walk made famous by Bonnie Prince Charlie on his way to KinLoch Moidart House. Loch Moidart is some six miles over the hill towards Glenuig The Jacobite rebellion is well recorded here. If you love the outdoors, like to take things slow and steady, then this could be your ideal destination.
About the Owner
Ardnish is the family home of Avril & Hugh Donaldson.
Our family - 3 boys were all born here. Due to work availability we are now located in Inverness.
Avril works as a research nurse and Hugh works in community development.
From the Owner
“We built the house ourselves in 1997. The house is built on the family croft.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Walking and Cycling in and around Acharacle. If you have travelled to our area to sample the outdoors then there any number of walking and cycling routes which can be followed. A good guide is to look at the Walk Highlands web site.
Within Walk Highlands you will note mention of the Sunart Oakwoods which will give you details of woodland walks within the oakwoods, within a local RSPB reserve and within a National Nature Reserve. There are also details of wild walks with appropriate guidance and advice. Some excellent cycling routes are also described within a leaflet which also contains a map. For those of a less energetic ilk why not spend an afternoon in a wildlife hide on the shores of Loch Sunart. The hide has an easy access (small) car park for those with limited mobility and wheelchairs can be used from the car park to the hide. Main car park, a little farther along the main Acharacle – Strontian route, contains picnic tables and a pathway to the hide through the woods.
Beaches can be accessed at Dorlin, Ardtoe and Gortean. A strenuopus walk is required to reach the Gortean beach but Ardtoe and Dorlin have easy access from the village.Further afield excellent beaches are available at Arisaig(18 miles) or Morar (20 miles).
The coastal routes along Loch Sunart are stunning and best viewed at sundown. The North Ardnamurchan coastal route can only be walked.
From the south (A82) you will need to cross Loch Linnie on the ferry at Corran some 9 miles south of Fort William. Acharacle is some 20 miles from the ferry.
From the north (A82) cross the river Lochy some 2 miles north of Fort William and take the A86 towards Mallaig. At Lochailort - some 25 miles after crossing the Lochy - turn left and Acharacle is some 18 miles further on.
Acharacle is remote. Kilchoan and the ferry to Mull is some 18 miles away. Strontian is some 14 miles away. Fort William is 40 miles away. Glasgow (airport) is 90 miles away. Inverness (airport) is some 120 miles away.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
29 Oct 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
17 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We accept bookings by e-mail and followed by either internet bank transfer or cheque. Bookings attract a 25% deposit with full payment 10 days prior to the holiday.
Saturday is our preferred change over but we are entirely flexible. Please let us know what your requirements are.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for whole house rental.Please contact us for discounts if you wish to rent just the lower floor. The upper floor will never be rented out separately to the bottom floor so if you only require the lower element you will still have peace and exclusive use of the property.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
From the Owner
“The house sits in a fairly secluded and peaceful situation, back from the road and just past the original croft house in which Avril's parents still live”
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs bathroom with double basin.Large bath & shower head plus toilet. Shower spa, wash basin & toilet in king size room. Shower room, wash basin & toilet in family room Shower room, wash stand & toilet on upper floor which singles share.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Day bed can sleep 3 children or two adults. En-suite
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Single Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Pull out bed beneath single.
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Single Bed
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Cot, En-suite
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, shares bathroom with room 3
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, shares bathroom with room 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10/14 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Family room en suite with double bed and day bed can sleep 4 or 5 max. Single room with put up bed for extra guest. Single room. King size room ensuite. Double room. Twin room. Dble & Twin share bathroom/toilet. Sgls share shower/toilet
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Ardnish can be rented as a part (sleeping 6) or whole (sleeping 12 with options to increase this to 14) dependent on your party make up. The upper floor cannot be rented separately (kitchen/dining area is on the ground floor). The house sits on a family croft and is within easy walking distance of the village hotel/pub and shopping area. The shopping area has a village store where everyday requirements can be met. A small bakery sells freshly made bread and cakes and there is a small fish and chip cafe next to that . A little further on there is the local post office and store which also contains a small café and community office. Outside: The patio area can be accessed from the downstairs lounge or utility room. Garden furniture is sufficient for 7 people. The patio is bounded by a low wall which we use for extra seating when necessary. Externally a large lawn lies to the front and small area for BBQ's is available. rudimentary BBQ set supplied. A small shed is available for any outdoor equipment. A larger shed is also available if needed for bicycles or canoes. Utility Room: Pulley operated drying racks, washing machine and ample storage for outdoor clothing. Storage for domestic consumables is also available. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and toweling is supplied. Changed on a weekly basis.Cleaning is arranged for every Saturday but this can be done to suit your requirements. A local contact number is supplied for any requests or emergencies. Other: Storage for luggage in a secure lock up is available.