Period House in Pwllheli, Llyn Peninsula, near Snowdonia / Abersoch, North Wales - Private Access Over The River Erch To The Four Mile Sandy Beach Of Abererch Sands
Peacefully secluded in private grounds, the house offers a perfect base for a holiday as active or as relaxed as you prefer in this area of outstanding natural beauty on the Llyn Peninsula, Gwynedd. Lovingly furbished to a high standard throughout. Entranced down a long gravel driveway with extensive parking for cars and boats the property includes 5 bedrooms, 2 en-suite, plus a family bathroom, outbuildings, enclosed cobbled courtyard, patio area,BBQ and outdoor Jaccuzzi/Hot tub.The house enjoys large and established gardens incorporating a Japanese garden, lawn, paddock, boxed hedged garden ,orchard and an arched metal walk way leading into mature woodlands.The property retains many original features including servant’s bells, wood floors, glass finger plates and cobbled courtyards. Sleeping up to 14 guests and a travel cot available on request. A stone’s throw from Pwllheli, famous for its harbour and marina, and only 7 miles from the popular resort of Abersoch.
Top Traveller Review
Spacious, tranquil country house
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
We have just returned from a fantastic holiday at Glan Afon. What a beautiful old house with extensive well maintained grounds! Our family party of 13 ranged from 2 years to 64 years old and there was plenty of space for everyone. Our 7 grandchildren loved having their own lounge with huge collection of dvds, separate playroom and snooker table. Outside there was table tennis, a jacuzzi and lots of space to play rounders football and cricket. Everyone joined in and had a great time!
We made use of the barbecue in the courtyard and the house was beyond our expectations.
I have visited the Llyn peninsula area since the 1960s and later brought my children and now the grandchildren who all love this area as much as my husband and myself. There are some lovely beaches and walks as well as the mountains a short drive away. Nearby Pwllheli, Abersoch and Criccieth have a variety of eating places as well as lots of activities.
As our family has grown we have stayed in different sized accommodation, mostly very good. We all voted Glan Afon the best we have ever stayed in and we hope to return one day. Ann, the owner was very helpful throughout especially when we had to change our arrival day at the last moment and she very kindly let us extend our stay. Finally this beautiful house and garden provided everything we hoped for and more. What more can I say? Thank you Ann for a great holiday!
4.9 based on 19 holidaymaker reviews
Lovely old house in beautiful setting
Our family stayed here for Easter week. We were a party of 8 adults, 3 children (aged 5, 7 and 10 ) and a baby. The large Georgian house was comfortable, with plenty of room for everyone. There were games, a pool table, DVDs and books. The setting of the house , just off the main road in lovely grounds was ideal. In summer it would be a really great place to enjoy. The hot tub was well worth the additional charge. We would recommend this property.
Enjoyed a great New Year Stay
4 night stay for party of 8 adults, 6 children (aged 7 to 12) plus a young toddler. Comfortable, spacious period property which more than met our needs. I could imagine the house working even better in the summer months where the outdoor space could be used more. Children had loads of space to play and a snug little TV room with 100's of DVDs was a neat idea. There's a large formal dining room, but the heart of the house for us was the kitchen / diner. Double oven and large fridge / freezer and utility room for all the food and drink you could need. Might be a squeeze to sit every one at the same time, but we fed the children first and then didn't really move from here. Weather was a bit rough but we managed to do some walking and there's a 10-pin bowling, go carting centre not far. Good communication from the owner throughout and no hesitation on recommending the property - would happily visit again.
As the team cook I would ask for a larger oven dish or heavy dutch oven / stock pot, but we managed fine.
Heating, hot water, dishwasher and bathrooms all good and clean etc
Spacious, tranquil country house
Our party consisted of two families with several teenagers. The property suited us extremely well as it was large and spacious, well-equipped with games, pool table etc Paying the additional charge for the hot tub was well worth it. The location of the house, down a long driveway made it very peaceful, despite not being far from the main road into Pwllheli. We enjoyed being able to access the beach across the field at the back of the house despite the inquisitive nature of the cows. One of the highlights of our week was watching the meteor shower from the courtyard late into the night.. I would highly recommend this property.
Lovely property with great character
The property was lovely inside and out, we especially enjoyed the setting and close proximity to the beach (which felt almost private). Its a great rural setting with amenities close by, but the house still feels extremely private set back amongst its own private wooded area and gardens. We will defiantly be going back!
Girls weekend away
A lovely comfortable large Georgian house set in its own grounds complete with hot tub. My colleagues and I spent our annual weekend away at this delightful property. Lovely evenings spent around the large dining or kitchen table set in front of a roaring log fire. Long walks along the local beach followed by afternoon tea in the delightful town of Abersoch. Owner Anne could not do enough for us. Check it out well worth the visit!
just come back from an amazing hen weekend in an absolutely stunning property...really comfortable and beautiful surroundings everything you need is catered for..... Will definitely want to book again... Thank you Ann
Activity and Interests
The Llyn Peninsula offers a variety of glorious coastline to explore, examples being the beaches at Abererch, Aberdaron, Abersoch, Nefyn, Whistling Sands, Llandbedrog to name but a few. The towns of Criccieth, Caernarthen and Porthmadog are within easy reach. The town of Pwllheli famous for its marina,harbour and prom is only 1.5 miles where you will find a regular weekly market.
Pwllheli train station 1.5 miles away approx.
Liverpool airport 2 hours away approx.
Manchester airport 2 hours away approx.
Holyhead port 12 miles away approx.
Bangor National Railway 15 miles away approx.
The leisure centre in the centre of Pwllheli has an indoor swimming pool and sports facility.Other leisure facilities at nearby Glasfryn and The Greenwood Centre offer a variety of activities such as go-carting, ten-pin bowling, quad-biking, archery, waheboarding along with licensed family restaurants etc., There is a cinema at Pwllheli . Harlech, Caernafon, Criccieth Castles and Snowdonia National Park are all on the doorstep and all well worth a visit.
There are plenty of super-markets within the local area, along with various small shops offering good quality local produce. A weekly outdoor market , renwned in North Wales, is held every Wednesday in the centre of Pwllheli. Sailing schools and surfing lessons are available in Abersoch, along with boat trips around the coast line . Historic Castles at Harlech, Criccieth and Caernarthen and Snowdonia National Park are all on the door step.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 25 Nov 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
26 Nov 2016 - 27 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
28 Jan 2017 - 29 Jun 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
30 Jun 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Hot tub charge||£60|
|Bedlinen & towels||£60|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£150|
A non-refundable 25% deposit secures a booking reservation, with the balance 6 weeks prior to rental. Terms and conditions apply. We require a £150 security deposit cheque with the balance, against significant breakages/ damages or late departure, refundable/destroyed within 14 days of departure once the property has been inspected.
Bedding can be provided at an extra cost of £60 and the Hot tub is available at a cost of £60 per booking.
Please could guests inform us of their time of expected arrival.
Saturday change over day on Weekly bookings, 3pm arrival, 10am departure. However we will always try to accommodate where possible, please just liase.
Short breaks and weekends (Sept to June)arrival and departure times negotiable please enquire, usual minimum stay 2 nights.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in pounds.
2-5 day short breaks are not available during the months July and August but are otherwise subject to availability, at a minimum rate of £220 per night depending upon season etc, please enquire.
We look forward to welcoming you to Glan Afon.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Game Room ...
- Games ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub ...
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- near the sea
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- jet skiing
- water skiing
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Family Bathroom - Bath with Shower
- En-suite 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure, This is a large ensuite
- Shower room 1 or En-suite 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- En-suite 1- WC, free standing bath, power shower, sink, heated towel rail. En-suite 2 - WC, sink, electric shower, heated towel rail. Family bathroom - free standing bath, sink, heated towel rail. Separate WC with sink. Downstairs WC with sink.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, Bunk beds
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, Two double beds and two single beds in this room
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Large Super King Bed, Wardrobe, Chest of Drawers
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (5 Bedrooms) Plus Travel Cot if required available on request Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 - Large Super King bed, en-suite 1. Bedroom 2 - 2 x's Double bed and 2x's single beds plus en-suite. Bedroom 3 - Double bed, hand basin. Bedroom 4 - Double bed. Bedroom 5 - Bunk beds All rooms (excluding bed 5) have original fireplace. Travel cot available on request but please bring your own cot bedding
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Notes on accommodation: Glan Afon has been renovated sympathetically to a high standard whilst offering open fires, antique furniture and luxury furnishings, centrally heated throughout, it makes a perfect retreat all year round ! The house is incredibly spacious with plenty of room to spread out, ideal for large groups and several families. Feel at home pottering around the beautiful house and three acre landscaped gardens. The outdoor Hot Tub in the cobbled courtyard is available for use at an additional cost of £60 per booking (NOTE -Not all year). Gardener visits weekly. Please be advised that the walk over the river to the beach can sometimes be in accessible in winter or adverse weather conditions and does involve walking through a field of livestock. Please state at time of booking if bedlinen, use of the hot tub and or travel cot are required. Thank you. Outside: Set in three acres of mature, private and beautifully landscaped gardens including long gravel drive with turning area, a formal lawn, cobbled courtyard and patio area (where there is use of patio furniture and portable BBQ) Japanese garden with seating, boxed hedge garden, orchard, octagonal gazebo, arched walk way leading into the woodlands, and a paddock from where there is private access through a field, over the River and railway line, to the beach at Abererch Sands (note inclemental weather access over the field to the beach is not permissable due to flooding). Two large outbuildings enclosing the cobbled courtyard make this a sun trap for ardent sunbathers. Outdoor table tennis table (good weather only). Utility Room: Utility room with sink and washing machine, cloak room area, slate slab work area, access to secondary staircase. Stable door leading to enclosed cobbled courtyard and patio area. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen and towels £60/wk and Hot tub £60/wk . The house is also a family home and as such we respectfully ask that you leave the house in the same good condition as we hope you found it. Cleaned after holiday. Other: Large dining room with dining room table and chairs, opening into conservatory. Collection of children's games and toys. Conservatory, window seating, double doors opening onto enclosed cobbled courtyard and patio area