Dunowen House in Ardfield, Clonakilty, Co. Cork, Ireland - Exclusive West Cork 18th Century coastal hideaway with Rock & Roll cred. In-house chef available
Dunowen House is a large luxury self catering property on 4 acres of mature gardens. All the rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated in an elegant way but with a funky twist, befitting its unique Rock & Roll history as former home of Noel Redding, base guitarist with the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
Located on Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way, Dunowen House is an ideal base for extended families or groups of friends to get together, relax and enjoy the stunning coastal scenery surrounding the house.
The house features a large music & memorabilia room, complete with musical instruments, a large library, DVDs & CDs - all available for our guests to enjoy during their stay.
A fully equipped playroom, is ideal for younger guests, keeping them occupied no matter what the weather.
The house has an open fireplace and a woodburning stove in the downstairs lounges and underfloor heating downstairs and in all the bathrooms.
Dunowen House sleeps up to 18 but combine it with our Orchard Cottage and you can accommodate up to 23 guests.
About the Owner
About Kela Hodgins
We are Kela & Stephen Hodgins and together with our three children, dachsund live at Dunowen House, having recently given up hectic lives in Dublin to "live the dream" in this idyllic part of West Cork.
We count ourselves extraordinarily lucky to own this fabulous historic house and are delighted to be able to welcome guests from far and wide to share its unique charm.
We live in a separate house on the grounds of Dunowen and are at your service throughout your vacation if you need catering services or advice on where and what to do in West Cork. The house is also well equipped for children with plenty of toys, books, games and bikes
From Summer 2014 we hope to have the walled garden up and running with fresh fruit, vegetables and free range eggs, which will be available for guests.
Kela Hodgins purchased this chateau / country house in 2013
What makes this chateau / country house unique
Dunowen House is a really peaceful place. It is secluded yet has the advantage of being close to town. The house itself is beautiful and has been renovated and decorated to a very high standard. But it is also a house with a laid back vibe and whilst it is beautiful inside it isn't stuffy.
As a keen cook and gardener, Kela is available to provide catering services or cooking lessons as an optional extra - why not learn how to baker traditional Irish breads and cakes while here or dishes using the freshest local ingredients.
The private cove at the end of the lane is ideal for exploring, kayaking or just relaxing with a book and the sound of the waves.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
As a skilled cook, Kela can provide tailored cooking classes to guests, including kids cookery lessons.
Sands Cove beach is 500 yards away.
Red Strand beach is 1 mile away.
Inchydoney beach is 3 miles away.
Long Strand beach is 3 miles away.
Cork Airport is about 45 miles from Dunowen House and car hire is essential.
Dublin is just under 3.5 hours drive.
Ardfield village is 1 mile away and Clonakilty is 5 miles away. Cork city - 50 miles.
If it is an active holiday you are seeking West Cork is the place to come. Surfing, windsurfing, golfing, sailing, fishing, diving, horse riding, bird and whale watching are all activities that are very close. Clonakilty has a thriving music scene and if its live music you are looking for you will be spoiled for choice.
We can arrange to cook an evening meal or b-bque or if its pure relaxation you require.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Jun 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Cleaning & Utilities||£173|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£433|
We require a €500 deposit with the balance payable approx 6 weeks before arrival.
The changeover day in July, August and Christmas/New Year is Saturday and during this time we will only rent the house on a weekly basis Saturday-Saturday. At all other times of the year we are flexible. Check in time is 4 pm and check out time is 10 am.
Notes on prices:
We have weekend rates so please email for any other price enquiries.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Dunowen House is a really peaceful place. It is secluded yet has the advantage of being close to town. The house itself is beautiful and has been renovated and decorated to a very high standard. But it is also a house with a laid back vibe and whilst it is beautiful inside it isn't stuffy. As a keen cook and gardener, Kela is available to provide catering services or cooking lessons as an optional extra - why not learn how to baker traditional Irish breads and cakes while here or dishes using the freshest local ingredients. The private cove at the end of the lane is ideal for exploring, kayaking or just relaxing with a book and the sound of the waves.”
- chateau / country house
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Bedrooms 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 have flat screen TV's and large ensuite bathrooms with huge baths and power showers. Bedroom 5 has an ensuite wet room with a power shower. All bathrooms have underfloor heating. Downstairs are two WCs.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps up to 18 Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with a king size bed and 2 singles Bedroom 2 with a king size bed Bedroom 3 with a super King size 4-poster bed Bedroom 4 with a king size bed and 1 single Bedroom 5 with a king size bed and 1 single Bedroom 6 with double bed and 1 single
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: An additional weekly charge of 100 Euros is required as contribution towards cleaning, electricity and heating outside. Outside: Barbecue and 3 garden tables with seating for 18 people. Garden includes wooded areas, a fenced-off pond, large lawns and a walled orchard garden. Utility Room: Second Fridge, Washing Machine, Dryer, Ironing Board and Iron. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linens are included and an extra cleaning service can be provided. We also offer in-house catering services if required. Other: There is WIFI throughout the property.