Stone villa mansion near Pau, Lourdes, Pyrenees Atlantiques, Aquitaine, France - Exceptional Private Spot, Pyrenees Mountains, Ocean, Skiing, Surfing, Golf, Canoeing 45 Minutes Away
The Retreat de Charme sits in an exceptional location in a Domaine Forest, by a river, in a protected green zone, view on the Pyrenees mountains. It has been Grand designed with several architects mixing oriental zen inspiration with the tradition of the France stone houses masonry. After 30 minutes of easy driving, you will enjoy a dinner in Pau town, famous for its castle of King Henri IV. Straight access in 50 min to multiple ski resorts (Luz Ardiden, Cauterets, Gourette). In 40 min you are in Lourdes, only an hour away from Bayonne, the Cote Basque, Biarritz the exceptional city by the ocean. Motorway access is round the corner. Also fast access to Toulouse, the "Ville rose" for a shopping day. The villa stands away from roads, enjoys exceptional privacy and quietness, no neighbor at all. It is a pure heavenly nest, with its swimming pool and landscaped gardens. You enter the Domaine through your own 19th century castle high gate, drive on your own 300 meters private road to reach the secluded haven. Close-by, a few villages, commodities ,supermarkets, in the heart of Madiran vineyards chateau, no better for "degustation" wines. Golfing in Pau. PLEASE VISIT our website www.retreatdecharme.com
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
I am French and I was born in Pau South west France. As a real "mountains native" as my English friends call me, I was on skis at 3 year old, and on a surfing board at 8. I will be very happy to guide you towards the best spots of the region and recommend you the best restaurants from some of my friends in Pau, Lourdes, Toulouse or Bayonne. I now live and work in London for 6 years, where I run a media company. I travel a lot overseas. The time I can spend back to in the Maison de Charme (when it is free!) is a treat and real luxury. I have Grand designed this retreat project for six years and I improve it year after year. It is great motivation to work in the UK and to be able to drive away from hectic London to spend divine week ends in the forest, by a river. Now.. it is your turn!
Guestbook comments from the owner
" No picture to describe how nice this retreat is!" Lois. May 2013
"Fabulous holiday. The house is luxurious and cosy. Our children had a great time with all games &pool. The location is really nice. Sea & mountains are easy reach. We want to come back. Paul, Emma, Lucy and James. Chelsea UK" - June 2011
"Best value for money. Top end. Unique villa" Nick & family August 2012
"ideal spot for relaxing week away from it all. Enjoyed the peace and quiet! Enough in the house to keep the teenagers entertained. Website provided an accurate description. Great week. Thanks" . Dave W. London uk- july 2011
"we really liked your beautiful house; Thank you for providing the table tennis, table football and snooker table. Many tournaments, we also did some good fires! Great moments" peter and his family farnborough uk- 07/2014
"thank you for this deliciously furnished and decorated house. Dream holidays, hot weather, great retreat away from stress. We recommend! " julie & charles 2014
5 based on 8 holidaymaker reviews
Great quality time
We enjoyed our spring vacation at the villa. Fantastic surroundings, peaceful and beautiful. Lots of space for children. The region is so pleasant. We do not hesitate to recommend. You will need a vehicle. Heather & Charles. Midlands.
We had a large family gathering at Christmas 2015.
We filled every room in the house- 16 of us- , but still had enough room and all had a great time.
Great location and venue and we are sure it would be perfect in the summer when the pool could be used!
No problem finding Retreat using satnav.
Sincerely yours. Ian S.
Our best holidays in France 2015
A wonderful location and beautiful home. The property is in a truly
secluded spot, yet not too far from Pau, Biarritz and trips into the
Pyrenees. Our family had a fantastic time. The pool and games room kept the children entertained for hours. It is a very peaceful place and we
would definitely like to return. Samantha & family. UK
We rent luxurious villas each year in various location through Europe, the retreat is one of the best we have ever been, the location is private, stunning and heavenly . Beautiful landscaping, clean pool, amazing grand design, the children loved the huge TVs , and the rooms are very charming. We highly recommend. Faith, Simon and children.
WE LOVE THE RETREAT
This is our second stay in the retreat de charme, we absolutely love the villa, surroundings are beautiful, pool and landscaping are very zen. Top equipment, plasma TV has been upgraded since our first stay. Suitable for families with infants, cod etc ..were provided.
The paintings in the house are stunning, very cosy atmosphere.
The Bearn is so nice , sea, mountains, golfing, cycling, food, we had it all!
Nothing like the other holiday villas we have been renting previously in France. Truely special.
We recommend! Steven, Mary, Carla, Gemma and family
From the Owner
“The location is second to none, almost impossible to find these days. Heart of nature, looking around 360 degree , this looks likea painting from Claude Monet the Impressionist. Also the house is a piece of France history, it is located on a Chateau preserved "green domaine", by the forest and corn fields. This ensures no direct neighborhood nor building around, a private path access... Memoires of Bearn from 1700 refers to the place. In short, when you reach the secluded location, you just want to stay there: haven of peace to forget all type of stress, and enjoy time with family and friends.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Horse riding. Ski. Mountain Trekking, Surfing, wine tasting in the Madiran, culture and art in Pau- Henri IV Chateau, Basque regions, Bearn. And of course religious interest holidays with Lourdes and La Grotte close by where millions come every year. The vineyards of Jurancon, Madiran, (further Bordeaux and St Emilion are within easy reach) and regional delicacies include - truffles, foie gras, duck, walnuts, confits. Rivers and stunning countryside offer are boundless opportunities for walking, horse-riding, cycling, golf (Pau), canoeing (Gave de Pau where the World Champion trains) and fishing or simply relaxing by the pool. Cycling is a key word in the area. People come from Europe to train here. I myself cycle a lot. From the house you get to to perfect windy roads, clean and smooth, hills all over. Ride the Cols "Somport" Pourtalet" "Marie Blanque" etc.. In two weeks you get fit for the rest of the year. The "Tour de France" uses these roads every single year.
Access takes about 1h20 minutes. Atlantic Ocean : Bayonne, Biarritz.
The second choice is the Landes Coastal line, immense pine trees forest: Hossegor, Mimizan. The motorway (Pau Peage) is about 20/25 minutes from the house. Easy driving on non traffic road. Pau people drive every week end to the coasts. It is actually much easier and stress free than driving from London to Brighton! You can either go to Biarritz or Hossegor, Mimizan in the Landes, or both in the same day! dream land.
Pau airport Uzein (Pau Pyrenees) 40 minutes away.
Lourdes Tarbes airport 40 minutes away.
AIRLINES Ryan air. Cityjet. Easyjet. Air France are the BEST companies taking you there. We will advise you and help you in your traveling planning.
Pau, Capital of Bearn is 23km away to be precise. The next villages are a few kilometers away. Tourist activities, restaurants, fruits supermarkets & antique markets. 800 metres away is the village grocery shop, bar/tabac, post office.
Motorway in round the corner. AQUITAINE offers a lot of possibilities and reaches. SPAIN is only one hour away.
Supermarkets, petrol station, garden centers, boulangeries, medical centers, fruits and vegetables markets, antiques boot sales, etc are close by. Largest shopping center is intermarche on the main road. A brand new bath spa swimming pool center (Caliceo Institute) is at the door of pau. Close to a massive shopping mall, Auchan, Leroy Merlin, etc. I always provide all lists, key areas and details, advice support etc.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For further information and to book, contact Jean by phone or email. Saturday arrivals after 4.30pm. Departure Saturdays by 10am. We will confirm by email details of your booking together with a breakdown of the total costs, and the dates by which the deposit and final payments are due. We will forward a booking form which should be completed and returned with the 30% deposit. Above 12 guests a reasonnable supplement of 50 pounds per night per additional person is requested.
Please enquire. It is usually the Saturday. We can be flexible if necessary.
Notes on prices:
Special offer 2015 for October and November retreat period. Please contact us for more details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Access to all the France south west best spots, mountains, towns of: Toulouse, Bordeaux, Pau, Lourdes, Biarritz, the Atlantic ocean in no time. If you decise to be lazy and stay in the house, the wellbeingness is extreme: time pressure is gone, pool, only noise of the river close by, birds, and breeze in the trees. If you are lucky in the early morning , deers will be in the garden. A return to nature.”
- chateau / country house
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible
- near the sea
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- water skiing
- water tubing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- There are three bathrooms, each located in the 3 sleeping aisles for total comfort. Downstairs marble stoned spa bath tube, double sinks. Upstairs a giant luxurious walking shower. Third spectacular is a Japanese inspired tower, wood, stone & glass made.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: All bedrooms are fitted with luxurious furniture and antiques: 3 King beds, 3 double beds (two beds are Four-post beds). Bunk beds are available according to to the guests demand. Each bedroom has its personal decoration. 3 downstairs with own terraces.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The villa has been Grand designed to ultimate luxury. Each room is exceptional with own paintings. Designed by architects, handcrafted by mason carpenters, bespoke rooms and tower. Retreat de Charme stands out of any holiday properties. Heart of nature, landscaped gardens, 360 degree of impressive views, fragrances, birds, deers. The stone L-shaped barn by the house offers the games room. The 19th century property combines the unique feel of a "travel in the past' through centuries, with the delight of comfort, latest technology, high-end equipment, WiFi, super heaters, air-conditioning (the thick stone walls maintain freshness when it is 39 degrees outside), double glazing bespoke windows, 2 giant Plasma TVs, LCD, MP3 players, Billiards Snooker table, football table, table tennis, swimming pool, multiple dining terraces, bespoke furniture, king size beds, yoga room, fireplaces etc) Access is totally private, maximum safety and privacy Guests and families just ALWAYS love it. Outside: All equipment is available, outdoor furniture, barbecue, tables, sunbeds, parasol, chairs. The garden is by the forest and corn fields. 5 terraces (two in teak wood overseeing the swimming pool. There is another private terrace at the back of the house (East sunset). Many independent secluded spots around the house to sit and read, rest and meditate, lie down and have a nap, in a word: enjoy. New. Special area created by the side of the main landscaped pool garden for the children to play football or rackets, secured , the kids dream's spot. The mansion is " a must see! and a must live". Utility Room: Washing machine, Dish washer, Iron, drying area. Baby equipment Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bath towels, linen provided. Infant cot and high chair provided. (pool towels not provided) Towels+ bed linen up to 12 people. Property cleaned and checked before every guests arrival. It is required to leave the villa clean as such on departure. Other: One aisle with 2 bedrooms + mezzanine with a bed privileged area compares to a loft, beams, zinc, cathedral ceilings. An amazing soapstone wood burner from Finland. An architectural space for multi applications: office, bedroom, cinema, meditation room.