Villa in Lusignac, Dordogne, France - Private Behind Electric Gates, Yet Short Stroll To Village Bar/Restaurant
No.1 Lusignac was completed in 2009 despite complicated planning restrictions. It is the first house next to the mediaeval hill village of Lusignac with its walled chateau and Romanesque Church. Its' owner is an English Architect who has been working in the Dordogne for 25 years. Unashamedly modern, it is built over three floors to take advantage of the stunning location and views across the valley. There are double height spaces, luxury kitchens and bathrooms, quality fixtures and furnishings, and a roof top solarium. Walls open up merging inside with out giving direct access to the terraces and pool. The house has not been designed and built to be commercially let out for holidays, so discerning, careful guests are invited to come and enjoy this wonderful home.
Top Traveller Review
Superb property with exquisite views
About the Owner
I am an architect living in Gloucestershire but working in both the UK and France. I run my own practice and have diverse interests from sailing and water skiing to painting and drawing. I collect contemporary art and am most interested in modern Architecture of the 21st century. This house was designed for my own personal use, not for letting, so is much better equipped and to a higher standard, than most.
I also run a boutique bed and breakfast in Cheltenham with just 3 rooms and a contemporary art gallery too! Hence, at the moment, I don't get to use my home as much as I would like!
Nick purchased this in 2009
Why Nick chose Perigord Vert
Please see the description of the house and its' special location in the main text.
(3 traveller reviews)
Superb property with exquisite views
We had a wonderful stay and could not fault the property which was a joy to experience. The interior was spotless and modern, the kitchen was well equipped and easy to cook in, the open plan living and dining space relaxing and the bedrooms extremely comfortable. The views outside were truly beautiful and it was perfect to make use of the decking area for either sun bathing or eating outside not to mention the infinity pool for cooling down in. All in all a very relaxing stay.
This place is a piece of heaven....
Fabulous house on the edge of the village with magical views and absolute peace and privacy. We couldn't have had a better week.
The house is beautifully designed, comfortable, cosy and really well equipped. It is a much loved home full of thoughtful pieces of art. The garden is cared for, the pool is warm and there are several areas to sit and gaze over the trees and fields. We were thrilled to see so much wildlife, so many wonderful birds, butterflies, red squirrel and deer around the house.
We flew into Limoges which is a tiny and very easy airport to manage. Car hire is just outside the exit, the roads are blissfully empty and the drive to Lusignac was a pleasure.
We didn't stray far from our haven, but found some lovely local restaurants, some magical walks and great croissants a stones throw away.
We absolutely would love to visit the house again.
It has everything you need for a great holiday.
What an amazing week in a stunning home. The house is exquisitely designed and the attention to detail is fantastic. The views are beautiful and the area so quiet and peaceful. I slept in one of the bedrooms on the ground floor and had the best night's sleep I've had for years...the mattress is heavenly. Not many people can lie in bed watching red squirrels leaping through the surrounding trees can they! The small kitchen area on the ground floor along with the 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms means the whole floor can be very separate and quiet if two families were to share the house. The middle floor is a great entertaining space with a spotless and very modern kitchen with dining/living area leading out to the garden and pool. It was a real treat to have the local bar/restaurant within a short walking distance. It's very easy to sit and enjoy the local wine! The one thing I hadn't bargained for was the abundance of wildlife, although with the roads being so quiet I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. The red squirrels and deer can be seen from the balconies and fantastic infinity pool overlooking the valley. The cushions for the outdoor furniture are very comfy. Once again, there are various areas to sit/eat and enjoy the garden if different age groups or families stay here. So to sum it all up...a fab holiday home in beautiful surroundings 10/10. Ps. If you attempt the puzzle in the games cupboard...start it as soon as you arrive because it's tricky but irresistible!
From the Owner
“Please see the description of the house and its' special location in the main text.”
Activity and Interests
River beaches can be found at the huge inland lake of Jamaye (25 min drive) or the river beaches of Aubeterre (20 mins) or St Aulaye (25 mins). The coastal beaches of Royan or Arcachon are about 2 hours drive.
Use of a car is pretty essential. Fly to Bergerac (closest) or Bordeaux or Limoges. Lusignac is about a 6 hour drive from St Malo, 8 from Calais.
The house is on the edge of Lusignac village but most shopping needs can be found in the villages of Verteillac or St Severin, both about 10 minutes away by car. Otherwise Riberac with its' famous Friday market, is about 20 minutes away. Angouleme/Perigueux are bothe about 40 minutes. Wonderful Bordeaux is 1.5 hours. There are chateaux, old towns such as Brantome/Bordeilles, vinyards, rivers and canoeing, tennis, microlight flying (the other side of Lusignac) and of course the gastronomy.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£1,000|
Please contact the owner for availability and a copy of the booking form. Full payment is required at the time of booking. The security deposit of £1000 per week can be paid by cheque, held by the owner, and returned within 2 weeks of your return to the UK assuming there have been no breakages/damage.
Changeover day is Saturday. We ask that you leave the house as soon as possible - around 9.30am, and don't arrive until after 4pm.
Notes on prices:
Prices are displayed in Pounds, but payment can be mae in Euros if preferred.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Cancelled bookings will not receive a refund.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bedroom 1 has an en-suite bathroom with wc, basin and bath with shower over. Bedroom 2 has en-suite shower room with walk in shower, wc, bidet and basin. Bedroom 3 and 4 share a full bathroom. There is also an additional cloakroom with wc and basin.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 -1 luxury king sized double bedroom (with en-suite). Bedroom 2 - 1 double in 16th century four poster bed (with dressing area and en-suite). Bedroom 3 - 1 twin bedroom. Bedroom 4 - 1 small bedroom with 2 full size singles, one above the other
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house has been designed over three floors. The ground floor also works well as a separate flat as it is self contained and has a further kitchenette with an extra fridge, hob and microwave. The four poster bedroom suite and study are on the top floor with access to the roof terrace from the study area. The entrance, living/kitchen/cloaks/terraces and pool are on the middle level with the other 3 bedrooms and bathrooms on the ground level. Outside: The house is constructed within a clearing of an oak wood on a steeply sloping site. The gardens are relatively small - you couldn't play football for example - but the views are splendid. The 12 x 3m horizon pool faces the view and is perfect for those early morning laps! The terracing around the house has been designed as a series of outside rooms, some covered, and some by the pool, Some timber decked, some paved and some 'big brother fake grass'! There are 2 bikes (may need to pump up the tyres) loungers, outside furniture, tables and chairs, parasols and garden lighting. The electric entrance gates give way to a macadam drive and ample parking for up to 4 cars. Utility Room: Washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included. We ask that the house is left in a clean and tidy condition, but it will be checked and recleaned upon your departure and before your arrival. Other: There is a further study area overlooking the living room with books, games and the wifi internet access.