House in Ayrshire & Arran, Strathclyde, Scotland, UK - Private Rural Location, Beaches, Cottages And Castles, Farm And Country Parks, Golf Courses
House of Craigie is a beautiful relaxed mansion with an indoor heated swimming pool in private grounds and courtyard cottages which can be added to a booking for extra guests.
This large country house is perfect large group accommodation with swimming pool. The main house sleeps 18, the 8 large bedrooms comfortably sleep 16 adults with space for 2 extra child beds, 4 huge public rooms with cosy log fires, 4 oven AGA great for large groups, the ceilidh or games room has table tennis and a TV for PS3's, the swimming pool has key pad access.
Super Christmas and New Year large self catering house with the swimming pool and the games room transformed to a ceilidh room.
Leave the world behind at this hideaway self catering large holiday home or for a more action packed holiday visit the many attractions of Ayrshire and Arran; beaches, cottages and castles, enjoy farm and country parks, sail to islands, golf the famed courses of Ayrshire.
BEST of all we've no swarms of midges in summer - the plague of the highlands further North.
From the South an easy 2 hour drive from Carlisle, a stress-busting, fuel saving start to your holiday in Scotland, and just 30 mins from Glasgow!
Top Traveller Review
Wonderful for a family weekend
Great to hear that your weekend was a success for all the family.
We recommend a trip to Culzean to all our guests as it is a fit with all age groups whatever the season and of course a day trip to Arran is one for next time!
It would be lovely to see you all again at Craigie some time in future.
Our very best wishes
About the Owner
I'll let our guests describe us as we believe they are our best references.
It was lovely to read a special message from children who stayed at the House who were given free rein in the veg garden! "Thank you for the strawberries they were absolutely delicious."
"A great place to be at peace and feel relaxed. We’ve had a very happy time and appreciate the warm welcome we’ve had. Hope to be back soon."
"Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us."
"Karen & Scott thank you so much for your kindness."
"Your hospitality put everyone at ease and for all of us this helped make it a great and memorable week."
"Thanks for a lovely stay."
"Many thanks Karen for making our visit so enjoyable."
"Thank you for welcoming us so kindly. What great memories we will have."
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thank you very much for the wonderful stay at House of Craigie, a good time was had by all.
You have a beautiful home, it was a great time- only downside was the weather, but when can you rely on Scottish weather?
4.5 based on 6 holidaymaker reviews
Wonderful for a family weekend
Rarely do our family all have time for a break together so our time at Craigie was special and made memorable by the beautiful house, wonderful views and Karen and Scott the welcoming owners who made sure we didn't miss any local highlights, Culzean Castle and its grounds are special indeed! Young and old enjoyed the spacious sitting rooms in the house, the "oldies" relaxed in the plush drawing room while the rest watched TV or played table tennis in the games room. The girls so enjoyed having "spa" time in the lovely indoor pool. The property was spotlessly clean with beautiful furnishings. It was a real privilege to enjoy this comfortable family home. Highly recommended - hopefully we will have a return holiday in the near future.
Agressive owners ruined our stay, ch
Our stay was made quite uncomfortable after being on the receiving end of the male owners aggression on the second day of our visit. The couple who own the property live in one of the cottages next door and keep a very close eye on your visit and will make it very clear if they are not happy with noise levels etc. Even locking a door providing quick access to the cottages because the noise was disturbing the owners office work. He was also very angry at the noise of the children in the courtyard and made it clear how annoyed he was having to lock his tool sheds because of them, which I would assume should be secure anyway. Alarm bells should have round when on arriving we were told of the bad behaviour of other guests including the children of a QC visiting recently and the reps from Rolex.
Grand exterior & packed with period rooms & fun
The perfect house. Absolutely stunning property with really tastefully decorated & comfortable period rooms inside plus lots of modern equipment, games rooms & pool etc. Also the hosts are incredibly friendly and easy going. The attached cottages are of the same level as the house too, if not higher.
Perfect house for a short break in Scotland
We had a great weekend at The House of Craigie, which is very easy to get to - only a 35 minute drive from Glasgow airport. The friendly owners greeted us on arrival, and gave us a tour of the lovely house and grounds and some tips as to the best walks and shooting in the area. The property was perfectly clean and well-maintained, with brilliant facilities for a large group - the indoor pool and table tennis table were our favourites. The kitchen was well stocked and it was great to have an AGA.
We'd highly recommend staying in this house for a weekend or longer, and we're looking forward to coming back soon!
Happy New Year!
I would have to say it has been without a doubt the best big group accommodation I have found for our family over the years.
It was a pleasure dealing with Karen and Scott and nothing was too much trouble.
The house itself was fabulous for a large group with plenty space to spread out and very homely and cosy.
Addition of pool and games room were really excellent for our big family group.
We stayed at the House of Craigie for my sister's hen night. It was fantastic, just exactly what we were looking for! It was cosy, clean, impressive and inviting and we would have loved to stay for longer! The facilities were great; comfy beds, open fires, table tennis, pool, books and games in abundance and of course the swimming pool!
Karen was incredibly welcoming and may us feel very relaxed. I would highly recommend the House of Craigie - we couldn't stop talking about it when we got home!!
From the Owner
“We just fell in love with this house! House of Craigie is the most wonderful, historic house and pocket sized country estate. After extensive renovation during which we added an indoor swimming pool it is always a delight to welcome guests and see them fall in love with the house and gardens too. The House is a perfect self catering holiday house for large groups whether for a special family occasion or a friends get-together.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
This large self catering House with its swimming pool, tennis court and games /ceilidh room is perfect for large groups seeking self catering accommodation for family holidays, friends get togethers, accommodation for golfers spending golfing holidays / golf breaks in Ayrshire, large parties looking for a big house for a get together, family Christmas holidays, a Scottish New Year holiday - spend Hogmanay in Scotland dancing in our ceilidh room (we can give lessons and Scottish dance CD's!), accommodation for a walking and fishing holiday in Scotland or a self catering short break with a swimming pool.
Troon Beach, 9 miles drive, sandy, promenade, a favourite with adults and children, well served by ice-cream sellers on sunny days, watch wind and kite surfers on windy days! Prestwick Beach for long strolls along the sand. Ayr Beach, 10 miles drive, long, sandy beach, promenade, Pirate Pete's Family Entertainment Centre. Beach at Dunure 17 miles drive, tiny village, picture postcard harbour, ruined castle. Culzean Castle and Country Park 22 miles with paths to sandy beaches.
Glasgow Prestwick International Airport (PIK) 7.5 miles. Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 30 miles. Car hire, or use of car, is essential and recommended. The major car hire firms can be found at both airports.
Troon and Prestwick 8 miles. Ayr 9 miles. Culzean Castle & Country Park, second only to Edinburgh Castle as Scotland's most visited attraction, run by the National Trust for Scotland, 22 miles. Burns Birthplace Museum 12 miles. Dumfries House, a fantastic Palladian mansion, beautiful grounds, saved for the nation through the vision of HRH The Prince of Wales, the Great Steward of Scotland, 15.5 miles. Glasgow's museums, galleries, designer shops, restaurants, bars, 24 miles.
Tesco Extra 3.8 miles. 2 Marks and Spencers food outlets, 5 miles to either.
Bank, Post Office 3 miles. Casual and formal dining locally for all tastes and pockets. Favourites are the restaurants at Highgrove House Hotel, 8 miles, with fabulous views over Troon to the sea and Scott's at Troon Yacht Haven, 9.5 miles, Catrine House Ice Cream Parlour for lunch and many flavours of ice-cream with a children's area. Catering can be arranged for during your stay please enquire.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
20 Dec 2016 - 4 Jan 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£1,000|
Prices quoted are rates for main house, cottages for extra guests are charged as extra
30% deposit payable on booking.
Balance is due 6 weeks prior to arrival.
A Good Housekeeping Deposit of £ 1 000 is required for House of Craigie.
Good Housekeeping Deposits are required separately for each cottage added to a booking.
Preferred changeover day is Saturday. Short break enquiries are very welcome whatever changeover day is required. Check in time is 4pm. Check out time is 10am. Late/early check in/out may be available by prior arrangement.
Notes on prices:
Prices from £600 per night for a minimum 6 night stay in the main House.
Our self-contained cottages can be added to your booking for larger groups and are charged as extra.
Weekend or short break enquiries are welcome at any time of year.
Please contact us to check availability for your dates.
Your holiday is reserved when a Booking Confirmation deposit of 30% of holiday cost has been received.
Balance of holiday cost is payable 6 weeks prior to arrival
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Breathtaking views to the sea, Ailsa Craig and Arran. Rural yet we're close to all the facilities and amenities in Ayrshire when we can tear ourselves away, particularly good for a walk on the beach at Troon and fish and chips! Staying here between the coast and Glasgow is ideal and a night at the theatre or a concert in town is perfectly do-able via the A77/M77. The other great thing about the location, (one of us is from further north where the midges are a plague) is that here the ubiquitous, Highland midge is a very rare visitor so we can enjoy the sunsets sitting out in the garden unbuzzed! An ideal Scottish country hideaway!”
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Fireplace ...
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Indoor Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En suite to Bedroom 1 can link with Bedroom 3 for families
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet
- Bathroom 7 - Toilet
- Bathroom 8 - Toilet
- In addition there are 2 showers poolside at our indoor pool Cottage 1 has a full bathroom with shower enclosure Cottage 2 has a full en-suite with shower enclosure plus a cloakroom with toilet and basin Cottage 3 has a full en-suite with shower enclosure plus a cloakroom with toilet and basin
- 11 Bedrooms, Sleeps 28
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 2 Child Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 6 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 7 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 8 - 2 Single Bed
- Cottage 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Self-contained cottage. Bed either Superking or 2 singles
- Cottage 2 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 2 Child Bed, Self-contained cottage. Bed either Superking or 2 singles
- Cottage 3 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 2 Child Bed, Self-contained cottage. Bed either Superking or 2 singles
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleep 18 in main house (16 adults + 2 children) Sleep up to 28 with cottages Cots or temp beds for children can be provided Courtyard cottages available for overspill
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: A 5-star rated large self catering holiday house with its own swimming pool. Relax in rural seclusion knowing that an extra bottle of champagne or forgotten essential is not out of reach. Tesco and Sainsbury's will even deliver your holiday groceries. Bliss! A HUGE list of activities for both adults and children locally -Golf; Burns Birthplace Museum; Culzean Castle; Kelburn Castle with its Secret Forest; Heads of Ayr Farm Park; Scottish Maritime Museum; sandy beaches at Troon and Prestwick; walk the River Ayr Way, Scotland's first source to sea pathway through picturesque scenery and try our favourite - Catrine House Ice Cream Parlour and coffee shop where delicious ice cream is made with milk from a herd of Ayrshire cows. Outside: The House is surrounded by beautiful gardens and is set in private grounds looking out over the paddock with open farmland beyond. The garden and grounds are a wildlife haven, garden birds dart through the shrubbery, resident tawny owls hoot at night and hares and roe deer are regular visitors to the paddock. A terrace in the rear garden beside the swimming pool wing overlooks lawned areas with borders from here an ivy clad gateway leads to the huge side lawn bordered by herbaceous perennials. Paths lead off to the kitchen garden or the woodland walk around the two ponds. With the ponds extra attention should be paid to small children. Secluded seating areas are found throughout the gardens. The private, indoor heated swimming pool is 10m X 5m, maximum depth 1.4m and for extra peace of mind parents can relax knowing that they can control access by the coded safety door. Utility Room: Washing machine, tumble dryer, iron/ironing board, double sink, cleaning equipment. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels included, changed weekly. House cleaned weekly. Extra housekeeping services provided to individual requirements. Catering by arrangement with owner. Other: All rooms are big and bright, comfortably furnished in traditional country house style and the huge Georgian windows give fabulous outlooks over the gardens and surrounding countryside. Self contained cottages are available for additional guests