House in Varaize, Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes, France - Peaceful Location Yet Within Easy Reach Of The Coast And Beautiful Towns In The Charente Maratime
The house, set on the outskirts of Varaize is an excellent base for exploring other towns of the Charente Maritime. Surrounded by fields of sunflowers and vineyards the landscape is perfect for country walks and cycle rides. There are many local wine sellers and Pineau producers in the area who will welcome you for a degustation. The front of the house has a gravelled parking area for several cars. This area is enclosed with electric security gates and a wall. The back garden has a paved patio area leading to a large secluded garden and new heated swimming pool. The garden is also home to many delightful birds and has mature trees, fruit trees and a spacious grassed area for children to play. The rear is also fully enclosed and backs onto a small stream by a Mill House and countryside beyond. Characteristic stone walls surround the beautiful new swimming pool which measures 8.5 x 4.5 metres The surrounding terrace has ample loungers with a shaded bar area and barbecue at one end.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Keith & Chris live just outside Bath in Wiltshire & have worked in their own business for the last sixteen years.
Chris now enjoys retirement & has decided to market a 2 bedroom self catering holiday home in the grounds of our house near Bath, England & our 5 bedroom property in Varaize, France.
Both these ventures were new for us in 2012, so we are now in our second year for both properties.
We are looking forward to welcoming people to them both.
It is now April 2014 with two very successful years behind us during which we were awarded a 4 star rating by the Tourist Board for the property in Bath.
We continue to upgrade The French house and to this end, a new Fosse has just been installed and we have added a children's skyfort and trampoline for the forthcoming season.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Would like to thank you once again for using your house. Everything was beautiful, everyone had a really good time. Especially use of pool, the heating made it so useable. Its an ideal property for two families, we only used two rooms as children were with parents as room was so big. No hesitation to recommend to anyone, best we've stayed in.
I'm sure you will not ever struggle with bookings, its ideal in many ways. This is the fifth time I have taken them all away using owners direct, have never been disappointed but can sincerely say your property has been the best by far.
Kind regards Graham & family
2 holidaymaker reviews
What can I say other than wow! Fourteen of us travelled to this property in 3 cars taking 21 hours due to numerous delays. It was without doubt worth the journey. The house was clean and equipped beyond belief! If you needed it...it was there. Everything from kitchen equipment to books to pool inflatables. We all found the house relaxing and spacious. We particularly loved the quirky lay out and how it was typically french. The heated pool and huge garden with play equipment were a massive hit with everyone! The surrounding area was beautiful and easy to get around, we enjoyed a trip to La Rochelle which was fabulous. We have recommended the house to numerous people and look forward to another visit, for 2 weeks, in a few years. Thank you for allowing us to share your beautiful house.
An absolute gem!
The house was all we had been promised and more. The owners have ensured that everything you could possibly need is there. The house is furnished and equipped to a very high standard. The play equipment for the children is superb - we were three families staying together and everyone was catered for. The pool area is delightful with shade available at all times of the day. The village is very quiet but amenities are an easy five minute drive. There are plenty of things to do and places to visit. We can recommend the velorail at Roumazieres for great family fun.
I cannot recommend this house highly enough - thank you Keith and Christine.
From the Owner
“We both fell in love with the Charente Maratime after visiting one of our friends in a nearby village. The area is quiet yet close enough to many attractions. We are only 10 minutes from the Motorway network, yet there is no traffic, sirens or the hustle and bustle of UK life. Every village / hamlet has its own uniqueness with partisans only too happy to converse with you if you make the effort. There are local equestrian activities for children. The Charente boasts the highest number of hours sunshine second to Provence. Cognac is 30 minutes away with the coast just under an hour.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Craft activities can be arranged on request.
The gorgeous Charente Maritime offers some of the best beaches on the Atlantic coast. Royan (just an hours drive) has superb family friendly fine sandy beaches. La Rochelle is a stunning port town and lovely to visit day or night. The coasts offer fabulous golden sandy beaches and the Ile d’Oleron has crashing waves fantastic for wind and kite surfing. The area south of Royan around the Gironde estuary offers stunning views & beautiful historic sites.
La Rochelle 50 mins
Poitier 1hr 15 mins away.
Bordeaux 1hr 30 mins away.
Limoges airport 2hrs 10 mins away.
Car hire is available from all airports.
Cognac and Angouleme are 1hr 15 mins away.
Ile D’oleron - 1hr 15mins
St Malo 4 hours; Cherbourg and Caen - 5 hrs; Bilboa – 6hrs; Calais – 7 hours.
St Jean D’Angely – 15mins. . An adorable little town with 8600 inhabitants, rich in heritage. St Jean D'Angely has every facility including large supermarkets and a big choice of fantastic restaurants for all tastes.
Saintes – 30 mins. Saintes is even larger and offers horse riding, golf, tennis, fishing, waterskiing, canoeing and kayaking Cognac - 30 mins.
Cognac, the medieval town offers beautiful architecture with its narrow medieval cobbled streets and elegant Renaissance facades.
St Jean D’Angely - The town offers a great selection of bars and restaurants, and there is even a nightclub so you can party the night away in style. The town has pretty well everything you need in terms of amenities such as banks, schools, petrol stations and other necessities. Shoppers and fashion victims will adore the trendy boutiques, and particularly appealing is the big shoe outlet where you can find all the latest styles and big name brands at very low prices… watch out for Imelda Marcos and Carrie Bradshaw! There are several Cognac houses in the town which offer tours and tastings. Make sure you also try the local drink of Pineau, which is a blend of cognac and wine. There is a huge water park with massive slide, five pools, Jacuzzis and saunas. You can also find a local lake for sailing and canoeing, there is mini golf and a skate park all to keep teh kids happy whilst you enjoy the cognac!
La Rochelle - La Rochelle is the capital of the Charente-Maritime region and has 76,711 residents.It is one of the most attractive and dynamic cities in France. The one thousand year old city nestling at the heart of the Atlantic sea front, is a beautiful and generous city that manages to preserve exceptional natural and architectural assets while developing its own area in an innovative, sensitive and harmonious way.
Île d'Oléron - is France's largest island after Corsica and a favourite of day-trippers and families in the summer months for its beautiful sandy beaches. It has wonderful waves making a great day out for surfers.
Royan – 45mins. Royan has a long history as a seaside resort and benefits from a micro-climate on a par with the Mediterranean coast. It has fantastic Atlantic coast beaches stretching for several kilometres either side of the town arguably the finest in France. They offer a choice ranging from child-friendly beaches near the town to the wild unspoilt beauty of the Cote Sauvage where you can find tranquility even in the height of the seas
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
High Season 2017
1 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
Changeover Day: Saturday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Linen Double Bed||£10|
|Linen Single Bed||£5|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
Once a reservation is made by telephone or email, a booking form will be sent detailing terms and conditions. This should be completed and returned with a non-refundable deposit of 25%. The balance and a £300.00 breakage deposit is then payable 8 weeks prior to the start date of your holiday. Discounts available for bookings in excess of two weeks. Longer term lets rates are by negotiation. Shorter term lets outside peak periods are possible. Brittany Ferries discounts if you ask for our code.
House is available for a Saturday to Saturday changeover with a 4.00pm arrival and 10.00am departure to allow for cleaning.
Alternative changeover days can be arranged with prior negotiation.
Notes on prices:
The property is available for rental over Christmas and New Year - prices are negotiable.
Rental for the property can be paid in sterling or euros
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“This typically French house has electric gates with parking for several vehicles and large lawned areas for children to play. The pool has a security cover and is walled and gated with an Abri/Dutch Barn at one end to offer shade and storage for sun loungers. There is a barbecue and a built in bar area for convenience. The property has 5 spacious bedrooms offering a variety of sleeping arrangements. All rooms are large with wardrobe storage. The main bedroom is en-suite with two further bathrooms in the house, one upstairs and one on the ground floor. The office has full wifi and there are two lounges, one with a dining area. There are DVDs, bean bags, books and games for all. Sky is available in the Kitchen and Lounges. New for 2013 is a large climbing frame and trampoline (see photos).”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- bird watching
- horse riding
Local Services & Businesses
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Toilet 3 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite Bathroom with shower in Bedroom 1. One further Bathroom upstairs with double sink seperate Bath and Shower. Seperate toilet upstairs Bathroom downstairs with walk in shower. Two further toilets downstairs.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 15 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 - Super King ensuite Bedroom 2 - 1 King, 1 single & cot Bedroom 3 - 1 Dble, 2 single Bedroom 4 - 1 Dble , 2 single Bedroom 5 - 1 Dble , 1 single All rooms have central heating radiators & security shutters. A travel Cot is also available
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: If you are travelling using Brittany Ferries, please ask as we are able to get you discount on your Ferry bookings. The house is looked after by a couple living closeby so visitors can be assured of prompt attention should they require it. No smoking is permitted within the house or outbuildings. Guests wishing to smoke are asked to do so in the garden and to dispose of cigarette ends appropriately. No pets allowed. Please note we have a Paypal account for safe transition of money. Outside: The front of the house is gravelled with parking for several cars and is enclosed by security gates and a wall. The back garden has a paved patio area leading to the garden and heated swimming pool. The large secluded garden has mature trees, fruit trees and a spacious grassed area for children to play. New for 2013 will be a large climbing frame and trampoline (see photos) The garden is also home to many delightful birds. The property is fully enclosed at the rear and you can often see birds of prey swooping in the sky above. The beautiful new heated swimming pool is completely enclosed by characteristic stone walls and a gate. It measures 8.5 metres by 4.5 metres and is surrounded by sun terraces with table and chairs,sun loungers and pool inflatables. There is a large shaded area at one end which is lit up at night with underwater pool lighting. There is a bar area for eating food and a poolside barbecue. The swimming pool has its own electric security cover. Utility Room: A secondary kitchen - Hob with extractor, 2 microwaves, washing machines, dishwasher,tumble dryer, fridge freezer and sink, child's high chair. Central heating boiler off. Back door entrance. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels & linen can be provided at extra cost per bed & changed weekly on a Saturday. The house can be cleaned mid 2 week let at extra cost. Ask for details. Check in dates are flexible but not in high season. Please bring your own pool towels with you. Other: Seperate Office with sofa and computer access. Wi Fi fitted. Front door entrance and radiator.