Villa in Nijar, Nr. Almeria, Spain - Come and explore the charms of this stunning home and swim in the naturally filtered pool
Finca del Alamo sits on the side of the hill and has split levels to fit the geography. The architect won a prize for the design, which is modernist. It is surrounded by gardens that have been steadily improved since construction began in 1980, and is attractively and carefully decorated as a home. It is a very relaxing place and perfect for winding down, with a lot of different spaces to fit larger or smaller numbers. It has views to the coast in one direction and over the village of Nijar and the mountains in the other. There is a swimming pool attached to the house, lots of secluded nooks and crannies for sunbathing or table tennis or reading, hammocks. It is within a 30-35 min radius of a range of wonderful protected beaches. All bedrooms have air conditioning units.
The resort of Almeria is 30 mins away and has golf courses (details provided upon request), there is a yoga retreat in the next village which is 15 mins away as well as hot springs. There is a tennis court 5 minutes drive away (booking required during the peak season) and Granada with the Alhambra is just under 2 hrs drive away.
You can also go and see where the spaghetti westerns were filmed at Tabernas. There are regular live shows performed daily. There are several unpopulated sandy beaches within 30 minutes drive of the house, some with small beachside restaurants which makes a nice day out.
There are also 5 separate apartments for rental 100m from the house, so the entire estate can also be rented to sleep 28 people in total. Contact us to discuss this option.
**House is also available for photoshoots - contact us to discuss further.**
Top Traveller Review
Wonderful villa in the "real" SpainWonderful villa in the "real" Spain
About the Owner
About Catherine Fellowes
The owner, Pierre de Cabarrus, built the house in the modernist style in the 1980s. We have recently rebuilt 3 charming cortijos which are near to the house. Pierre speaks fluent English, French and Spanish. One of his daughters is an artist and his other daughter teaches music.
Why Catherine Fellowes chose Costa de Almeria
We chose the region because it's accessible by road and air and you can easily reach beaches and towns, but it's secluded, private, and tranquil. The simplicity of the landscape is very relaxing, and you can really get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.
The beaches are uncrowded and sandy, being set within the Cabo de Gata means there is very little development near to the beaches.
What makes this villa unique
Probably the best thing is the atmosphere of tranquility and peace. It's possible to wind down in a way that's hard amidst the urban hustle. It's beautiful and relaxing. The garden contains over 2000 palms, olives and fruit trees and some interesting plants. The local produce, some of which we grow on the farm, includes great fruit and vegetables; tomatoes and onions unrecognisable when compared to watery things in UK supermarkets. We have enough olive oil that we pressed in November to use 1/3 litre a day and not run out, & it's delicious.
(2 traveller reviews)
Wonderful villa in the "real" Spain
We needed an away-from-it all break and this villa in Nijar, Almeria province, suited our extended family of 11 perfectly. The villa, which has apparently won architectural applause, is stunning and spacious. Situated on a slope, the exotic gardens literally tumble like a stream beneath it leading to an ecologically filtered swimming pool. The rooms are filled with lovely antiques and it has a real lived-in feel. The on-site caretaker, Isobel, welcomed us and cooked a lovely meal for us on one of the evenings (almond chicken with spinach and chickpeas). The villa is half an hour to some beautiful beaches (we liked Agua Amarga where there is also a first-class restaurant caked La Villa) . It is close to the mountains and desert landscape (Sorbas is an attractive village) and we even stumbled across a lovely restaurant called Almendro owned by a British Couple in a village near to Sorbas called La Mela. Nijar itself lacks any real restaurants, but there are a couple of café-bars and a pizzeria. The whole area is non touristy, English is not widely spoken and if you want to experience the "real" Spain, this is definitely the place.
Fantastic Fairytale Villa
12 adults, 8 days, 1 beautiful mountain top villa.
The holiday was more than we could have ever imagined. We were overjoyed with the property which was, for the first few days, a mystical labrynth until we finally found our way around. Location was perfect, weather wonderful and allowed for 12 overworked people to sucessfully switch off and forget about the ourside world for a short time. Definitely recommend this villa to anyone who would wish to escape the rat race for a time and comsume themselves with beautiful views and utter peace.
From the Owner
“We chose the region because it's accessible by road and air and you can easily reach beaches and towns, but it's secluded, private, and tranquil. The simplicity of the landscape is very relaxing, and you can really get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. The beaches are uncrowded and sandy, being set within the Cabo de Gata means there is very little development near to the beaches.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We are developing courses in yoga, painting & eventually music, and can provide facilities for course leaders looking for a venue.
30-40 mins drive to a variety of gorgeous, unspoiled beaches along the protected national park Costa de Almeria.
San Jose: Monsul y Genoveses
Almeria airport, served by Ryanair and Easyjet as well as other major carriers, is 30 mins drive away. It is highly recommended that you have a car, it is a 35 min walk to Nijar and the best beaches are much easier to get to by car. Alicante Airport is 2 hrs drive away.
To village of Nijar, 35 mins on foot, 4 mins by car.
To large well stocked supermarket in Campohermosa, 20 mins by car.
To San Jose (fishing village, beach and next to beaches of Genoveses/Monsul
37 mins by car.
To La Isleta - beach - 40 mins by car.
To Agua Amarga - beach - 35 mins by car.
To Lucainena-Yoga retreat and gallery, plus massage, osteopathy, concerts, courses at El Saltador, 20 mins.
To Carboneras, beach plus facility to take an open water diving course, 35 mins.
The fantastic beaches in the area are a big draw. There are some only accessible on foot that are just gorgeous, and the water's lovely & warm in the summer.
For those into sport, there's golf in Almeria, Yoga & lots of events like starlit concerts in Claudia's retreat in Lucainena (we know her, and can arrange for a yoga teacher to come to the finca if required). You can dive in Carboneras, and there is horse-riding in San Jose. There are some great walks in the area and the light/colours are wonderful for artists too.
The western towns Oasys and Fort Bravo (sets where spaghetti westerns were filmed) are 40 mins from the finca and worth a visit.
For those into walking, there is the desert of Tabernas, the Alpujarras, or walking along the coast.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
Off Peak Spring 2017
2 Jan 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
2017 Peak Season
1 Jul 2017 - 15 Sep 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Off Peak Winter 2017
16 Sep 2017 - 31 Mar 2018
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£250|
We follow the standard booking procedure. Please enquire via the booking form below.
Changeover day flexible.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
From the Owner
“Probably the best thing is the atmosphere of tranquility and peace. It's possible to wind down in a way that's hard amidst the urban hustle. It's beautiful and relaxing. The garden contains over 2000 palms, olives and fruit trees and some interesting plants. The local produce, some of which we grow on the farm, includes great fruit and vegetables; tomatoes and onions unrecognisable when compared to watery things in UK supermarkets. We have enough olive oil that we pressed in November to use 1/3 litre a day and not run out, & it's delicious.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Air Conditioning ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Ping Pong Table
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- En-suite to room 1, bath/shower over, wc, bidet. En-suite to room 2, bath/shower over, wc, bidet. En-suite to room 4, bath/shower over, wc, bidet. En-suite to room 5, bath/shower over, wc, bidet. Room 6 shares a bathroom with room 5.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8/12 (6/7 Bedrooms). All bedrooms have air conditioning units. Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 upstairs - twin. Bedroom 2 upstairs - double. Bedroom 3 top studio, which has 3 beds & 2 camp beds Bedroom 4 - downstairs, twin. Bedroom 5 - downstairs, twin. Adjacent library, double sofa bed Bedroom 6 - downstairs, master-double.
- Boat ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Veranda ...
- Tennis ...
- Max. occupancy: 14
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- children welcome
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Upstairs landing sleeps 4, a twin room and a double, the upstairs studio has twin beds and a day bed which can convert into another single bed. 3 bedrooms downstairs, two twins and a double, and a library with sofa bed which can be also used if needed. 5 bathrooms all ensuite apart from the upstairs studio which shares with one of the upstairs landing bedrooms. Outside: Large ground-level garden chessboard, lots of space, at least three different terraces, two with large dining tables for al fresco dining, private eco friendly swimming pool adjoining the house. Table tennis table, eight sun loungers with lilos and a couple of wooden chairs. Utility Room: There is a washing machine and separate sink and clothes dryers behind the kitchen. There are sun loungers, table tennis, wifi, TV, chairs for the terrace, chairs and sofas to relax inside. NB-some rooms have air conditioning; some have fans. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen included, changed weekly. Isabel, the trusted housekeeper, lives in adjacent accommodation. Isabel may be available to do extra cooking or cleaning for your group for an extra hourly rate. Other: There is also an upstairs sitting room, terrace and kitchenette, a large dining room adjoined on either side by outdoors patios with tables and planted trellis overhead for dining. There is a porch with great views of the sunset and terraces by the pool.