Converted Mill on the River Tech, Nr. Ceret, Pyrenees Orientales, France - Enjoy The Peace Of Being In The Mountains But Only An Hour From The Sandy Beaches And Collieure
This is a genuine home from home. Restored to a very high standard and containing almost every amenity. It has very private access direct onto the totally unspoilt Tech River (great for a cool swim) and a wealth of holiday options. The house is large and all the rooms are impressive from a huge and sociable kitchen, to the massive and comfortable lounges, the art studio or the outside terraces. The location is very private but still only 5 minutes drive to the nearest village and 20 minutes from the beautiful market town of Ceret. The beaches nearby are among the best in France and the Spanish border is less than half an hour away. There are a huge number of places to visit within easy reach. There is a well known gorge just down the valley, art museums (Picasso, Daly, Dufy and many other artists have lived in the area), the towns of Girona, Perpignan and a little further the famous citadel at Carcassonne. The house is surrounded by nature and mountains.
About the Owner
We live permanently in the UK and the Mill is our second home.
We have had fantastic holidays in the Mill for many years and have recently opened it for limited renting in the summer. It is at it's best full of people. Loads of space both inside and out.
A really special home from home.
Guestbook comments from the owner
The Mill is a family home and has only been let since 2011. So far everyone who has visited has absolutely loved it. Most guests say that the photos on here do not do justice to the house or its location and have been keen to return again.
We have had many friends and visitors over the years who all agree - its a very special place to be and a wonderful house. Few people ever want to leave and many just stay at the house itself to enjoy the time and the peaceful setting.
From the Owner
“We love the area because firstly its about as far south in France as its possible to get - very near to the Spanish border. It enjoys a great climate all year. We also have the best of both worlds - living in the Pyrennees with wonderful views and slightly cooler air in the hot summer - but just an hour from some of the best beaches in the whole of France. Its a millhouse - so firstly its big and has huge open spaces which are great for when we have a lot of people staying - its never feels crowded at all. And naturally its right on the river - which runs right at the back of the house - just 75 metres away. Its a truly unspoilt part of the mountains and we can walk straight from the house and into the hills that surround us. Its an easy drive from the A9 motorway”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We have many pamphlets and guidebooks for you to select places to visit nearby. You can draw and paint in the studio (contact owner re materials). The kitchen is easily large enough for those who really enjoy cooking. No formal courses are offered but please contact the owners if this may be of interest. A chef can be provided by arrangement if you are hosting a special occasion.
The countryside is full of wildlife and birds. You can fish in the river as well as swim and there is an abundance of walks, hiking, cycling and outdoor activities of virtually every description in the area including white water activities and climbing.
Down on the coast there are great beaches and pretty villages. a local marina and a huge safari park just north of Perpignan. Barcelona is about a 2hr 30 min drive away.
Coastal beaches are extensive and are just over an hours' drive down the valley. The town of Collieure is especially beautiful and has a small natural bay where swimming is safe right from outside the many cafes and restaurants. This is one of the most famous spots in the south of France. There are some 30Km of beaches within easy reach and for many miles beyond. Lots of coastal towns and marinas to see.
Perpignan 45 mins. Girona (Spain) 60 mins. Carcassonne 75 mins, Toulouse 2hrs, Barcelona 2.5 hrs. Allow 11-12 hours if driving south through France from St Malo.
Full directions will be made available on booking.
Arles sur Tech 5km. Amelie-le-Bain 9km. Ceret 18km. Prats de Mollo 20km.
Too many places of interest to mention but for example, the world famous Dali museum at Figueres in Spain is just under an hour away and not to be missed.
This is a huge wine growing region so there is great food and wine choice available in all local villages. Major supermarket near Ceret in which a whole weeks supplies can be obtained in one go. Saturday market in Ceret is a day out on its own. You can sit and have a coffee and watch the world go by all morning. There are often musicians or bands playing in the cafes.
Do visit the museum of modern art in Ceret. Many local banks, vineyards, mountain walks and climbing. Great cycling (note: we are some 500M above sea level so be prepared for hills!). Lots of restaurants.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£350|
Arrange via email (or phone) direct with owners. Early booking 25% deposit (non-refundable) and full payment 6 weeks prior to commencement date.
Security deposit (refundable net of breakages etc) £350. For 2014 summer prices please see below. For any other dates please contact owners.
No dogs/pets unless with express permission of owners.
NOTE we will authenticate ourselves to you via the phone and will also authenticate those who book with us via a short phonecall. Thanks.
Changeover days are Saturday. Contact owners for any special requirements.
Notes on prices:
Price includes provision of bed linen, towels, cleaning and pool maintenance. We have a local couple on hand at all times who are fantastic. Additional requests - please contact owners.
For 2014 summer prices see prices table - other dates please contact owners.
25% on booking and remainder 6 weeks before start of booking with security deposit
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Great weather - sunshine almost every day!! Very beautiful mountain views in the Pyrennees. Our very own river - totally unspoilt. Lots of room to relax, read, play music, sunbathe or swim, paint, cook and entertain at complete leisure and in total privacy. Really nice decor with high standards throughout the whole house.”
- chateau / country house
- Ceiling Fans
- Fireplace ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- 6000 m²
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Family bathroom
- Large family bathroom with separate shower. Three ensuite bathrooms/ shower rooms. All recently refurbished to a very high standard.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Cot, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, master bedroom ensuite with sofa bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Second main bedroom
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Large Double Bed, Third main bedroom
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Large Double Bed, Ensuite with Juliette balcony and French doors
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Large Double Bed, French doors with juilette balcony - ensuite bathroom
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Double Bed, French doors with juliette balcony
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (6 Bedrooms) plus sofa beds Notes on bedrooms: Huge en-suite master bedroom with 4 poster superking-sized bed, seating area. Two very large character double bedrooms with seating areas and sofa beds. One double bedroom with ensuite. One double bedroom. One twin / double bedroom with ensuite bathroom.
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house is ideal for 2 or 3 families holidaying together or a large party. Access to the beautiful and unspoilt river Tech is direct from the rear of the house and a pathway is available provided shoes are worn. The river setting is both private and very unspoilt. You can swim in the river - at your own risk. A stereo system is available that has an MP3 plug. CD player and Wi-Fi also available. The house is beautifully furnished and has many art works and homely features. All beds, sofas and fittings are top quality as are the soft furnishings throughout. Pets are not allowed without express permission of the owners. There are may places to visit and plenty of guides and ideas of places to visit at the house. Most people simply stay at the house and relax. There are local villages around the mountains - nearest is Arles sur Tech 5K down the hill. Everyone who has stayed here has just loved it. Outside: Private (alarmed) swimming pool (8 x 4 M), which is not overlooked. Large surrounding terrace with loungers and sunshades etc. Separate terrace for additional loungers or table and chairs. Upper terrace from lounge with dining table and chairs for al fresco use. Great views over the pool, garden, and mountains. Gas BBQ available and fully equipped summer kitchen with fridge is just off the upper terrace. Utility Room: Separate large utility containing storage and also washing machine and tumble dryer. Small beer fridge. One high chair. One shopping bicycle. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels are provided for bedrooms/bathrooms. Separate pool /lounger towels are provided. Cleaning weekly, additional mid-week pool clean. Local English/French speaking couple for additional assistance (payable if additional services eg Chef are reqd). Other: Adjoining the kitchen is a large dining room (>14) with access to the pool terraces and garden. Next to the dining room is a large art studio/sitting/music room with beautiful views into the garden and beyond. Library area, separate WC on first floor