Restored Mill near Castelleone and Deruta, Umbria, Italy - Within Easy Reach Of Surrounding Hill Towns And Villages
La Mulinella is situated in the heart of Umbria, between the villages of Casalalta and Castelleone, 15 minutes from the town of Deruta, famous for it's hand-painted ceramics (majoliche). A carefully restored flour-mill it nestles in the valley as though it has been there for ever. The ground floor is an open plan, vaulted living and dining room, at one end of which is a well equipped kitchen. This is where most of the action takes place in the summertime, opening to the south terrace, swimming pool and wisteria-covered pergola, equipped with sun beds, hammocks and table tennis table. The covered west terrace is ideal for summer dining, shaded from the sun during the day, while enjoying spectacular sunsets at dinner. In winter, the upstairs living room becomes the heart of the house, perfect for reading or watching DVDs in front of a log fire. There is also a west facing terrace on the 1st floor, perfect for watching fireflies and shooting stars after dark.
About the Owner
I live and work in Dublin with my husband and our two youngest children. We are both architects, and I'm also a landscape architect. The restoration of our house in Italy was a labour of love. We spend as much of our time there as we can, hot summers by the pool, winters by the fire and spring and autumn walking in the countryside and discovering yet another exquisite hill town. It is our home.
From the Owner
“I bought the house after several years of searching, falling in love with it on first sight. It is truly the green heart of Italy, surrounded by olive groves and farmland, constantly changing season by season. It's completely secluded yet close enough to the wealth of culture in the nearby towns and cities.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
La Mulinella is a paradise for walkers. In every direction you can walk directly from the house into stunning Umbrian countryside, passing valleys, farmland, villages and a roman temple. Butterflies, birds and wild flowers abound, and all identification equipment (binoculars, butterfly nets and books) is at your disposal during your stay. Perugia hosts the Umbria Jazz Festival in July, while Todi is home to a Music Festival in September. Within an hours drive is the Sibillini National Park where you can go rafting through deep ravines and swim in the refreshing water of the Corno river. A short drive away is the world renown Montefalco wine region, where it is possible to visit the cantinas of such famous wine makers as Arnaldo Caprai, Lungarotti and Antonelli. Even if wine is not your thing, it's still worth a visit for the scenery alone and to wander through the medieval villages of Montefalco, Bevagna and Torgiano. Horse riding is available just 600 metres from the house.
Lago di Trasimeno (one of the biggest lakes in Italy) is 30 minutes away by car, or if you prefer the salty sea, both the Adriatic and the Mediterranean are about 2 hours by car.
Perugia airport 30 minutes, Rome airports 2 hours, Bologna and Pisa c. 3 hours.
Car recommended. Excellent train connections from Perugia to all major cities.
The university town of Perugia (25km north), Todi (30km south) Montefalco and Bevagna (30km east) are all a 30 minute drive, Assisi (40km) and Spello (43km) to the northeast 40 minutes, Spoleto (70km east) Orvieto (65km southwest) and Gubbio (60km northeast) 1 hour away. Siena (125km) and Arrezzo (115km) are both a 2 hour drive northeast. Day trips to both Florence and Rome are possible using the high-speed intercity trains.
Nearest food shopping is in Deruta, only 10 minutes drive from the house. Our house manager can provide basic shopping in case you arrive late. We have discovered many great restaurants in the area, for which recommendations, contact numbers and directions can be found at the house. The nearby medieval borgo of Castelleone has a five-a-side football pitch, cafe and boule court. Parco del Sole near Collazzone is a nature park perfect for younger children, with many animals, butterflies, a play area, train and picnic area. Market days in Deruta are Tuesday and Saturday.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Jun 2017 - 23 Jun 2017
Changeover Day: Saturday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
24 Jun 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
2 Sep 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Prices shown are per week, additional days pro rata of weekly rate. 25% of total is required to secure booking, the remainder due 4 weeks prior to arrival. Payments can be made through bank transfers in either euro or sterling.
Changeover day is Saturday during peak periods, flexible otherwise. Arrival and departure times times are also flexible, but when the house is occupied on the same day, departure time is 10 am and arrival 4 pm, to allow for cleaning to take place.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to master bedroom with WC and shower. Separate visitor bathroom with WC. Upstairs bathroom with WC and shower. Mosquito screens on all bathrooms.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Ground floor: bright, airy master bedroom, views to the east and north. First floor: large double bedroom and twin bedroom, all with chestnut beams and high ceilings. All bedrooms have mosquito screens.
- Outside: The house sits amongst an olive grove, fruit orchard and a walnut grove with paths mown through a wildflower meadow. Sun beds, hammocks and a table tennis table are situated around the pool and under the wisteria covered pergola. The private pool, complete with pool toys, faces south and measures 10 x 4 metres, 2.2 metres at it's deepest rising to 1.2 metres at the shallow end. The pool is cleaned weekly (opened May to September). A Weber barbecue and a built-in pizza oven or 'forno' can be found on the west terrace, next to the outdoor dining area. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / service: Towels, pool towels and bed linen included, changed weekly. Additional housekeeping on request. Charge for central heating (if required) will be based on gas consumption calculated at the end of your stay.