Detached House in Alderton, Nr. Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, UK - Rural Location With A General Store And Pub Within 5 Minutes Walk
Tamarisk is a modern detached house with uncluttered spacious rooms, ideal for either a large family or group of friends to stay in comfort. It is well insulated and warm with a cosy stove for those out of season trips and has a superbly equipped kitchen for keen chefs to cook up a masterpiece! There is room for up to 10 people, with 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, including a ground floor double bedroom and shower room which is ideal for those with mobility problems. All beds have good quality mattresses and two are super-king size with memory foam for a very comfortable night. The dining table can easily seat 12 for family parties. The North Sea coast is a 40 minute walk across the fields and there are sandy beaches within an 8 minute drive or 15 minute bike ride. Alderton has a very good childrens' play area only 5 mins walk from the house. In fine weather the sky is wonderfully dark for budding astronomers - no street lights! If the weather is poor there are plenty of books, games and DVDs and you can stay connected with unlimited wireless Broadband. Our availability chart is always up to date - please check it for availability.
Top Traveller Review
Lovely, well kept, spacious cottage
About the Owner
We have owned Tamarisk since 2010. We both love this part of Suffolk and hope you will too.
Guestbook comments from the owner
• We had a great time at Tamarisk: lovely comfy rooms, good showers & a beautiful garden. We enjoyed some of the major tourist attractions in the region: Sutton hoo, Africa Live, boating on the broads at Beccles, Southwold beach and Pleasurewood Hills at Lowestoft. Great selection of reading books in the house. Thanks for a great holiday venue –we’re privileged to be your first guests, best of luck. The Youngerwoods, Edgeware
• “Bathrooms and showers excellent and plenty of them. Beds big and comfortable. Great Indian takeaway and shop. We wanted a big house where we could all be together and Tamarisk was just perfect. Thank you and good luck with your rental venture”. Ms Oirschot, South Africa
• “We all enjoyed a Happy Christmas during our stay at Tamarisk. The house was decorated for the festive season which made the house feel like home as soon as we arrived. We were able to celebrate with the whole family with plenty of room for everyone.” The Bidmeads, Essex
4.6 based on 25 holidaymaker reviews
Lovely, well kept, spacious cottage
Great house. Stayed as a group for a friends wedding, suited our needs perfectly. Amazing value for money! Fully equipped and very helpful host. Would definitely recommend!
Fantastic holiday, home away from home.
Fabulous holiday home, perfect for our group gathering. Description was accurate and Colin was brilliant with communications, answering all my questions quickly by email. One of our group even left their cardigan there and he has offered to send it back for free.
We all had a great weekend staying there and would defiantly recommend it to family and friends.
Beautiful house in a countryside location
A spacious and clean, well maintained family home in an idyllic, peaceful, countryside setting.
A home away from home. Lots of local amentities nearby and plenty of information provided by the owners.
I would recommend this property and location for a relaxing break away.
Home from Home
We wanted to stay somewhere comfortable for our daughters wedding. A place where the family and bridesmaids could relax the night before and get ready on the day in comfort.
It was a perfect venue, no stress on the day and all the home comforts to make life easier.
The owners were really helpful and accommodating. The house was clean, warm and had everything we needed.
It ticked all the boxes and would be happy to recommend it.
A most comfortable, cosy, well equipped house.
On walking through the front door, Tamarisk opens up into a large, warm, cosy, clean and comfortable house. There is everything there you need for a relaxing 'home from home' holiday. We were a family of four generations from a 5 year old to a 92 year old, plus a dog.
This was our second visit to Tamarisk and we enjoyed it just as much as our first, and are booked to go again later this year.
I would recommend this holiday cottage to anyone and the owners, Colin and his wife, are a delight when contacting them.
We love the area especially Woodbridge and Orford and there are many excellent pubs within easy reach and wonderful "doggie" walks.
Tamarisk is an excellent property for large family
Everything was brilliant. The instructions we had prior to the visit covered all of our needs. We were a large family group with three generations and the house suited everyone. A lovely dining area and ample seating in the lounge. The WiFi was easy to use and certainly the younger members appreciated it. The house has a good family feel to it.I would definitely recommend this property to others
From the Owner
“This part of Suffolk has a unique atmosphere, with its sandy soil, stands of Scots pine trees and wonderful big sky. The climate is great too, with the almost the lowest rainfall in the UK. Alderton is a remote village with a wonderfully dark sky at night. Not great for clubbers then, but if you like peace and quiet and nature, it is a wonderful place.”
Activity and Interests
A half hour walk along a footpath leads to the coast near Shingle Street - the name indicates the type of beach! Tamarisk is only 2.5 miles from the Ramsholt Arms, beautifully set amongst woods overlooking the river Deben. This is a picturesque spot with a small sandy beach ideal for children which is close by the pub, serving excellent food as well as a good variety of real ales. Also 2.5 miles away is Bawdsey, again with a child-friendly sandy beach.
Stansted airport 68 miles. Harwich ferry port 51 miles. Dover ferry port 145 miles. Nearest railway station is at Woodbridge. A car is really essential, as Alderton is very rural and bus services are rather limited.
Sutton Hoo (historic site), 6.5 miles, Woodbridge, 9 miles. Orford Castle 12 miles. Snape Maltings and concert hall 15 miles. Ipswich 17 miles. Aldeburgh 21 miles, Felixstowe 22 miles.
Alderton is a small coastal village in the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is well situated for walking, bird watching and trips to the seaside. The local store is excellent, but for more extensive shopping, the delightful river town of Woodbridge has supermarkets and many smaller shops, as well as a swimming pool and cinema. Ipswich is only about a half hour by car if access to major stores is needed.
The historic site of Sutton Hoo, where Saxon treasures were unearthed is very close.
For the music and art lover, the famous Snape Maltings and the town of Aldeburgh are within easy reach by car.
The pretty riverside village of Orford with its impressive castle is even closer, and from here it is possible to visit Orfordness - a nature reserve and the site of cold war experiments in radar.
In the winter this area still has a lot to offer, especially for the nature lover, with many species of wading birds and wildfowl on the river estuaries.
For artists, the big skies of Suffolk have long been an inspiration, and this is a unique landscape with its sandy soil and stands of Scots pine trees.
This part of the country is mostly very flat, and so is very easy for cycling.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
22 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
29 Oct 2016 - 20 Dec 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
21 Dec 2016 - 4 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We do not usually ask for a security deposit, as we find most guests leave our house in a reasonably clean state.
Usually Saturday, but this is flexible out of high season.
Notes on prices:
Our booking calendar is always up to date - please check it for availability.
Prices are for the property per week or day in UK pounds.
Peak Season - Saturday pm to Saturday am 7 nights.
Off Peak - prices are discounted heavily and duration and start and finish day are negotiable, with a minimum booking of 2 nights. A third night is priced at a discount. Discounts possible for long lets, reduced occupancy or late availability.
We are always happy to take phone calls, so give us a ring!
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite shower room to Master bedroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC. Family bathroom with shower over bath, basin and WC. Downstairs shower room with basin and WC.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom with super-king bed, en-suite and large mirrored wardrobe. Bedroom 2 with super-king bed and dressing table. Bedroom 3 with twin beds. Bedroom 4 with single bed plus slide out guest bed. Bedroom 5 (downstairs) with double bed.
- Notes on accommodation: As a modern house (built in 2001), Tamarisk is unusual in having large rooms which give it a spacious, airy feel. Full central heating and high levels of insulation mean it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The rear aspect faces west, and it is very pleasant to sit in the garden in the evening with a drink, or even eat al fresco. There is a travel cot and high-chair and two stair gates are provided to keep little ones safe. Two large shelf units are loaded with books for all ages, and there is a fair stock of DVDs for children, as well as a few for all the family. Cards and board games are also provided in case the weather forces a stay indoors. A maximum of 2 well behaved dogs are permitted. no smoking inside the house please. Outside: There is off road parking for 3 cars to the front of the house (the road is quiet and street parking is not a problem). The rear garden is fenced and gated and includes a decked area with table, chairs and a parasol. The remaining garden is laid to lawn with shrubs and ornamental plants. 4 bikes are available for use by guests – 2 adult, 1 teenager, 1 child size. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All cleaning, bedlinen and towels are included and beds will be made up for your arrival. The property is thoroughly cleaned between lets, and cleaning can be arranged at extra charge during a two week let. Other: Garage has tumble drier and freezer. Also storage for barbeque and bikes - 4 available for use of guests - 2 adult, 1 teenager, 1 child size. Shed has outdoor table, chairs and parasol.