House in Montreal, Nr. Carcassonne, Aude, Languedoc Rousillon, France - Peacefully Situated In A Small Shady Square, With Magnificent Views South To The Pyrenees
Sit in bed and gaze at the Pyrenees, there is stunning scenery to enjoy here the area is steeped in Cathar history with ruins on pinnacles of rock to explore; Montreal, a hill-top town surrounded by vineyards and sunflowers is a good base from which to reach many areas. Shops include a supermarket, charcouterie, baker, chemist, cashpoint, pizzeria/bar and auberge. There are good local Malepere wines and Cremant de Limoux, a well known champagne substitute; there are many markets in the local towns where you can sit at cafe tables and take in the atmosphere of the busy market; Mirepoix with its beautiful medieval square is a lovely one to visit. The Canal du Midi is 5 minutes away at Bram and at Castelnaudary (20 minutes drive) you can hire bicycles to ride along the pretty canal path. Driving, Carcassonne (Ryanair) is 15 mins, Toulouse 45 minutes (Easyjet) Narbonne 45 minutes, Beziers 75 minutes(Ryanair). You can get to Dali's house in 2 hours and Barcelona in 3 hours.
About the Owner
I have been coming to this house in Montreal for holidays for almost twenty years as it belonged to a friend before it became mine. So it really is a second home that I am very fond of. Since I retired from teaching I have had the time to renovate this old house so that others could enjoy it too and I now paint, (some of which were inspired by the house). The feel of a house is very important to me and this one is very easy and friendly.
Guestbook comments from the owner
1. Having spent a week here our only regret is not booking a longer stay. The house is very comfortable, full of character & mod cons. Its conveniently located for exploring both coastline & inland.
2. We spent a week here & would have loved to stay longer. The house is lovely & cosy & has everything you need. Montreal is a beautiful place to stay & is very central.
3. Really enjoyed staying at your lovely house the artwork & decore added to the ambience.
From the Owner
“Friends had a house in the area and I thought it was very pretty. A good friend owned this house before me & I liked the fact that the town is very unspoilt and not at all commercial. The house is on the edge of the small town of Montreal but the wide spectacular view is south, out over a rural landscape to the Pyrenees. Whilst the town is small, it has all amenities with a local swimming pool but is only 15 minutes drive from Carcassonne and is right in the middle of beautiful undulating agricultural landscape with vines, sunflowers, vegetables and cereals grown.”
Activity and Interests
Narbonne Plage and Gruisson are the closest beaches (one hours drive) but there are many more down the coast.
Carcassonne airport (Ryanair) is 15 mins away; Toulouse (Easyjet) is 45 mins; Beziers (Ryanair) 1hr 15. Driving from Caen it is 690km and will take approx nine hours down the westernmost autoroute via Bordeaux. Whilst you can have a holiday here without a car as shops etc are within walking distance in the town and trains do go from Bram, it would be difficult to take advantage of the wealth of sights to see in the surrounding countryside. Car hire is easy to arrange at Carcassonne airport.
Bram is 5 mins away, Mirepoix 20 mins, Limoux 20 mins, Carcassonne 15 mins, Narbonne 1 hour, Montpelier 2 hours, Toulouse 45 mins.
There is a leisure park just outside Carcassonne (the Raymond Chesa Leisure park) with the Lac de Cavayere where you can swim and walk there are also pedaloes and horse riding.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£150|
A non refundable deposit of 10% of the booking is needed to secure a reservation along with a signed booking form. The balance must be paid at least 8 weeks before arrival. If a booking is made within 8 weeks of arrival, full payment is required when making the reservation. A damage/loss security deposit of £150 is also required with the balance of payment. Your deposit will be refunded within 7 days of your departure once the property has been checked for any damage after you have vacated the property.
Changeover day is on a Saturday and this is adhered to in the busier months of June, July & August. In the quieter months either side we can be more flexible.
Notes on prices:
In the busy months of July and August rentals run from Sat to Sat. In the months either side we can be more flexible depending on bookings. Please contact us to explore the possibilities. Guests are asked to leave the property by 10am on the Saturday of departure, people arriving can gain entry from 4pm.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“This is a traditional old french house and whilst it has been renovated we have tried not to remove its character. Montreal is a town unspoilt by tourism, where working french people live. Each room has a view, as there are lovely views front and back. A two minute walk will take you to the bakers for fresh baguettes and croissants and five minutes in the opposite direction will take you to the local swimming pool.”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom with a shower (water comes from the hot water tank) basin and wc. There is also a wc and basin in the attic bedroom.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Attic bedroom king size bed. Bedroom 2 double bed. Bedroom 3 twin beds.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: There are cooling fans available and a wood burner in the living area whilst heaters are being installed in the Autumn 2012. Winter bookings will have the cost of heating calculated and subtracted from the deposit. The house is suitable for well behaved children only and we regret no pets are allowed nor smoking. Outside: There is a small sunny garden to the rear of the property with chairs for relaxing, a table for eating and a barbecue. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included but we would ask you to bring your own beach towels. The property is cleaned at each changeover. Other: There is a cool basement garden room which you walk through to get to the garden. When it is hot this is another area in which you can relax.