House in Pitigliano, Maremma, Tuscany - Peaceful, Private Setting Close To Stunning Etruscan Towns
Stretta Carraia is a spacious, tufa stone house, dating back to the 14th century. It has been entirely renovated but has kept its traditional character. Floors are laid with antique cotto stones, and ceilings are supported by old chestnut beams. Local travertine marble is featured throughout. The house has a cosy, homely atmosphere with large airy rooms and high ceilings, comfortable furniture, and shelves full of books. With French doors that open to the gardens from all the ground floor rooms, it is a perfect house for more than one family. The house stands in a large garden, with two terraces, surrounding lawns, fruit trees, an olive grove, and a swimming pool which looks out over rolling hills. From the terrace, you can enjoy the evening sunset and see the stunning Etruscan town of Pitigliano and in the distance the steep rise of Monte Amiata. Despite the perfectly quiet rural setting, Pitigliano is only 10 minutes away.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
The seaside is about 45 minutes away by car. The renowned Monte Argentario, about an hour’s drive, has a stunning coastline and in the evening you can visit the pretty village of Porto Ercole for an ice-cream, a pizza or a seafood dinner. The islands of Giglio, Giannutri and Elba are also within easy reach. The magnificent 500 square kilometre volcanic lake of Bolsena, where you can swim, sail, water ski, windsurf and fish or simply lie on the beach, is just 30 minutes away by car.
Rome's two airports, Ciampino and Fiumicino are the closest. Travel time to the house fom either if these airports is just under 2 hours. Use of a car while at the villa is essential.
Our closest town, Pitigliano, is 10 minutes by car. This stunning hill top Etruscan town has a maze of tiny medieval streets and many historical sites including the 15th century Orsini castle and one of the oldest Jewish ghettos in Italy, 'Little Jerusalem'. The renowned Etruscan towns of Sorano and Sovana, are also only 15 minutes drive. Saturnia, a little jewel of a town has an original Roman arch and Roman road, as well as the world-famous natural hot springs. Orvieto is an hour by car.
Pitigliano has everything you would need, several supermarkets, banks, a weekly market, fantastic restaurants and lots of artisan shops selling everything from antiques to leather-bound note books to handbags, linens, clothes, local food and wine and even cowboy gear! Several of the surrounding towns offer first rate eating.
Walkers, swimmers, horse-riders and bike enthusiasts should be in heaven here. There are trails through the Selva del Lamone, a beautiful natural reserve that lies just beyond our garden, and walks along the Vie Cave, a series of ancient pathways carved out of the rock around Pitigliano. The magnificent volcanic lake of Bolsena, almost 500 square kms, is just 30 minutes away by car. The much smaller Mezzano lake is a 10 minute drive away. There are several horse riding stables around us too.
And when your feet are tired, the hot springs of Saturnia, only 20 kilometers away, offer a luxurious respite for the tired traveler. If you want the full spa experience visit the 5 star Terme di saturnia for a massage or thermal water treatment. But the best experience (and free) is just outside Saturnia where the thermal waters gush out of the ground and form a powerful waterfall and a series of natural pools where you can bathe.
- Booking Notes:
Rentals are from Saturday to Saturday. Rates include twice weekly cleaning and use of all amenities. Special rates available for longer rentals. Guests are also required to leave a refundable cash deposit of 120 sterling. 30 per cent of payment due on reservation. This is non-refundable. 70 per cent of payment due 60 days before arrival. Cancellations from 12-6 weeks before arrival, 70 % of payment not refunded. Cancellations from 6-0 weeks before arrival, 100% of payment not refunded.
Saturday is changeover day. Arrival time is after 3pm. Departure time is before 10am.
- Available arrival
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- pets considered
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1: En-suite to bedroom 1, with power shower, bath. Bathroom 2: En-suite to bedroom 2, with shower. Bathroom 3 En-suite to bedroom 3, with shower and bidet. Bathroom 4: upstairs, next to bedroom 4, with bath and connected shower, bidet.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8/10 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: Queen bed. Ground floor with private access to outside terrace. Bedroom 2: 2 twin beds. Ground floor with private access to gardens. Bedroom 3: Queen bed. Upstairs. Bedroom 4: 2 twin beds and extra bunk. upstairs. Study: double sofa bed.
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: We have a wonderful lady looking after the property, who is an all-round "fixer" and will make sure you have everything you need. She is a wonderful babysitter (she looks after my children when we are there) and a superb cook, and is happy to come and serve a sumptuous dinner at home. She can organize anything from horse-riding to a private visit to the vineyards, wine tasting, you name it. Outside: The property has spacious and beautiful gardens. The house has several cotto stone terraces, each with loungers and comfortable chairs. there is a large covered eating area with barbecue, and a teak dining table that can comfortably seat 12. The private pool is situated at the edge of the large olive grove. You can lie in a hammock in the olive grove or in the shade of the mimosa and enjoy the spectacular views of the rolling hills, grazing sheep, the vinyards, olive groves, and the stunning Amiata mountain in the distance. At sunset, from the out door eating area, you can see the medieval tower of Pitigliano, and the lights of the nearby villages of Saturnia, Manciano and Montemeranno. Utility Room: New washing machine located in kitchen. Ample drying lines outside in rose enclosed corner. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included, as well as swimming towels. Linen changed once a week. Included in the price are two weekly cleanings of bathrooms and kitchen plus deep clean once per week. Other: Gorgeous study with two sets of French doors, which open to the gardens and terraces. Antique stone floors and high beamed ceilings. Can also double up as extra bedroom with double sofa bed.