Villa Nr. San Gimignano, Siena Province, Tuscany, Italy - 12.000 Square Metres Of Gardens, With Pine Trees, Monumental Oaks And Olive Groves
Wonderful stone building situated in a peaceful position with a panoramic view over the famous medieval towers of San Gimignano.The villa, a typical Tuscan country house, has been carefully renovated keeping the original features and tastefully furnished with antique pieces and modern facilities (air conditioning, central heating, TV,dishwasher, washing machine, etc.). A large private garden of over 12.000 m2 with olive, fruit, pine and oak trees which surrounds the house together with a beautiful swimming pool (5X10X1,40 deep) are an irresistible invitation to enjoy the open air. Several indoor living areas allow the guests great freedom to read, play music, cards, watch TV, paint or simply rest. The main living room opens onto a very large terrace well furnished, ideal for eating alfresco. For a complete privacy all the property and the pool are fenced, allowing the parents to fully relax knowing that children are safe.
Top Traveller Review
Great House for a Tuscan Vacation
About the Owner
My wife and I bought this rural building some years ago, having felt in love with it since the first moment we saw the place. With great passion, we followed all the works to renovate it. We bought old materials when necessary, fully respectful of the original features. We are now retired and live in Florence (I was working in finance and my wife was a literature teacher). Our two sons live and work in UK: the eldest is a veterinarian and the other one is a doctor. We are very pleased to inform and help guests, if needed and also can help to book visits to Florence galleries (Uffizi or Academia) to avoid long queues.
Guestbook comments from the owner
16-23 April 2011.
We decided to spend a week relaxing in one of our favourite parts of the world. We rented this fabulous house and spent a week exploring, eating, drinking and playing crib and scrabble. The Chianti countryside is beautiful, and everything is within a forty five minute drive.
14-21 May 2011.
I am writing to you to thank you for a wonderful stay at Colle di Val D'Elsa. We wish to specially thank Veleria and Francesco for thier very kind help and concern. We really enjoyed our stay.
Najam Awan family-California (USA).
4-18 June 2011.
This has been a lovely house to stay in, really convenient for Siena and Florence and especially San Gimignano. Lovely for lazy days in the house by the pool. Mixed weather in first week was fine for cities, second week was hot sun. Pool quite nice and warm by end of week 2. The owner Francesco has been really friendly and helpful.
Graham Whitaker family-Brighton UK.
3.8 based on 5 holidaymaker reviews
Lovely traditional Tuscan villa with great pool
We had a lovely holiday at Francesco's villa. Although it is quite rural, the villa and garden were safe for our children and it was easy to drive to Siena and Florence. Francesco and his wife were very welcoming and we are still enjoying the bottle of olive oil from the trees in their garden that they gave us. The pool is large, clean and was a lovely respite from the heat. The air conditioning in the bedrooms was also very welcome during some hot nights. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend staying here for a relaxing family holiday.
Great House for a Tuscan Vacation
My family of six really enjoyed our time at this house. It was great fun to live on this olive orchard for nearly two weeks. Francesco and his wife were great hosts....they went out of their way to both make sure we had everything we needed at the house but also make arrangements for various day trips (horseback riding for the kids, winery tours, etc.). This house is very centrally located in Tuscany. It is a 20-30 minute drive from five different towns that all have great history and wonderful sites. It also was very private and "remote" from anything. We loved the afternoons in the pool after day trips in the morning. Overall, a very great time for us.
A spacious Tuscan villa in lovely grounds
A lovely spacious villa in the traditional Tuscan style. The pool was lovely and despite extreme heat the villa was easy to keep cool. It's ideally placed to visit San Gimignano, Sienna, Volterra etc but is also very relaxing which is exactly what we needed. Francesco was a great host - helpful, thoughtful and friendly
Stayed for two weeks summer 2015. Cannot recommend property due to:
1. Facilities old fashioned, cleaned to basic standard, lack of recent expenditure, kitchen and fittings minimal, no extraction hood so cooking smell/heat cannot escape, tape around toaster lead, electric oven cannot be used if one other appliance (eg washing machine) is used at same time as the main electrics will trip.
2. Electric supply to property very poor - it rained on two occasions and both time electrics again tripped, leaving us one time stuck outside the fenced property as the electric gate would not open for access.
3. When electrics trip you have to go to outside the property garden into lane and open a sealed enclosure to reset the main electrics, we had to do this circa 6 times during our stay which appears rather dangerous for client to do especially in external environment.
4. Hot water and wifi both failed.
5. Advertised as private property but the owner has a man living actually on site and both he and the owner accessed the property during our stay without prior warning. One night the man living on site knocked on front door at 10pm to replace the TV set.
6. Air con only available in two bedrooms for which you have to pay extra, during our stay the remainder of the house became uncomfortably hot in evenings. There was no fans for use elsewhere so we requested these be provided but the owner told us he did not understand, only after a week later he arrived, again without warning, with one fan for our use.
7. Pool beds old and hard plastic, no cushions or covers.
8. At end of our stay the owner accused us of tampering with the pool filtration system and breaking two of the old poolbeds, tried to with-hold deposit, after we argued he returned the deposit.
9. Difficult to contact owner, phone message would tell us his telephone nr inactive, often instead had to ask the man living onsite to try to assist us (but he spoke no english).
The area of Colle Di Val D'Elsa is lovely area and ideal for exploring this part of Tuscany, local people friendly.
Restaurant - definitely try 'Portanova' located in entrance to the fortified walls to the old town, approx 100 Euros for 5 people. Cookery lesson - try 'Il Paretaio' near Barberino, 30 Euros each. Horse riding - try 'Centro Ippico L'Agrifoglio'- near Staggia Senese, 30 Euros each.
In summary, lovely area just don't recommend this property.
Comfortable Villa in Tuscany
My wife and I had a great week at this Villa. The owner Francesco is very helpful and accommodating, he made the experience at the house great. Make sure that you speak with him about where to shop for food and other things, he has some great ideas. This is an old style farm house and is comfortable. The upstairs bedrooms are the only rooms with A/C. The pool is great and private, but it is not heated so make sure that you want to swim at the right time of year. The property is remote and very private. While we were there the neighbor had some hunting dogs and they did a lot of barking. When they were not around it is very quiet. Overall we enjoyed our time.
Activity and Interests
1 hour drive for the sandy beaches of Cecina. 1 ½ hours for the Gulf of Baratti (with Populonia etruscan remains). 1 1/2 hours for Follonica and Punta Ala.
Florence Airport, 45 minutes drive. Pisa Airport, 90 minutes drive. Rome Airport, 140 minutes drive. Car is recommended.
Thanks to its centrality and good road connection (the Florence-Siena dual carriage-way runs at just 7 km from the property) this place is an excellent starting point for daily trips to the main cultural sites of Tuscany: San Gimignano 8 Km, Siena 20 Km, Volterra 23 Km, Florence 45 Km, Arezzo 80 Km, Pisa 90Km, Lucca 100 Km.
Within walking distance (approx.500 metres) a small village is offering a restaurant/pizzeria, 2bars and a small supermarket, whilst the town of Colle Val D'Elsa (approx, 3 Km.) provides all kinds of facilities (supermarkets, banks, various shops, tennis courts, golf club, etc.). An interesting open air market is held weekly in Colle Val d'Elsa, where can also be found many hand made products (particularly famous the traditional manufacture of crystal).
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£168|
20% deposit payable when booking. The full amount payable 6 weeks prior to arrival date.
Normal changeover day is Saturday. This can be flexible.
Notes on prices:
Prices are per week. Rental prices includes: water, gas for cooking and electricity normal consumption, final cleaning. Extra costs payable locally: air condition (on request) € 0,40 per Kwh, central heating (on request) € 5/cbm gas gpl. Booking expenses 30 Euros per person. Free internet WIFI 24h.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- smoking allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- winery tours
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- 50 m²
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet, bathroom inside the bedroom
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6/8 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 2 bedrooms with double beds + 1 cot. 1 bedroom with two single beds. 2 single sofa bed in the studio area (mezzanine)
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Veranda ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Central Heating and Air-conditioning (in all the bedrooms) on request with supplement. Free INTERNET WI FI ACCESSIBLE 24H Outside: big old terraces Independent house. Exceptional large and green spaces completely fenced, also very suitable for children who are free to play safely. Several terraces. Gazebo. Garden furniture. Magnificent Private 5 x 10 metres pool, which is fenced too. This is for exclusive use of the guests (not shared). View over San Gimignano towers. Outdoor Barbecue. Fruit, olive, pine and oaks trees. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included. Weekly change.