Stable conversion in Gunthorpe, near Wells-Next-The-Sea & Holt, North Norfolk - Located In A Beautiful, Peaceful Village Near The North Norfolk Coast
The Stables Courtyard, built in the 18th & 19th Centuries, has been newly renovated, maintaining a traditional atmosphere with attractive exposed beams and vaulted ceilings making the rooms light and airy, yet the décor creates a cosy and intimate environment in which to unwind. Its rural location creates a tranquil spot to escape from the hussle and bussle of the everyday and enjoy the fresh air. There are many stunning walks in the surrounding countryside with superb views and a chance to take in some of the rich local culture. You could enjoy a picnic with the family or stop off at one of the local pubs in the surrounding towns/villages to sample the locally sourced produce.
With only a short car journey you can explore the beautiful North Norfolk coast, The Broads and The lovely beaches at Holkham are just two of the many attractions for all the family to enjoy.
About the Owner
The Stables was purchased in 1974 and conversion of the property to my husbands design has been mostly by our families hard work with experts called in when needed. The benefits of The Stables continue to be a real pleasure to our family, and we hope will also be a pleasure to anyone who stays in the property.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Excellent accommodation, a lovely situation, very peaceful. We loved the Stables and found it extremely spacious and furnished to a high standard throughout. A brilliant location ideally located to visit North Norfolk. Absolutely beautifully converted stables and a wonderful place to stay with the family, Thank you."
"First Class accommodation!"
"The pretty enclosed courtyard garden gave us enjoyable evenings - the BBQ was put to full use!"
"Great comfortable place to stay, ideal for exploring North Norfolk."
"Spacious, comfortable accomodation - we will be back!"
"Very pleasant surroundings and spacious rooms. Lovely stay."
"A lovely peaceful retreat - we enjoyed seeing the baby moorhens on the pond."
"Perfect, peaceful place, had a really comfortable stay."
"Had a great week in this lovely, spacious cottage."
From the Owner
“The Stables was one of three buildings sold in 1974 as a total ruin, the only structure being the three external brick and flint walls of the traditional 19th Century stable block. The collapsing roofs hand made pantiles have been reclaimed and reused. The vision and hard work of the owner has, over the years transformed this derelict building into a comfortable home, retaining all original materials where available and exposing roof beams. As well as choosing the property to be a design challenge we loved its remoteness and position in the small village of Gunthorpe. The area is so peaceful and relaxing that it acts as the perfect retreat with all the necessary living requirements within easy driving distance. And these charms remain many years later.”
Activity and Interests
Wells next the sea is around 9 miles away and has a beautiful sandy beach, with a wooded area next to it, and beach huts along the back. The quayside in the town centre is the perfect place to do some crabbing. Holkham also has another large sandy beach, the car park is a little distance from the beach so be prepared for a walk. Morston, Blakeney and Cley are approx 6miles and Sherringham 12miles. All require transportation to get to.
The property is in a village not served (except for a weekly bus) by public transport on a regular basis. The nearest railway station is Norwich - approx 20miles. Own transport is a necessity. So if you're looking for a peaceful, relaxing holiday this is the place for you.
In addition to the many beaches, a wealth of attractions are close by - including the Pilgrimage Centre dating back to medieval times, at Walsingham, 6miles and several National Trust properties including Felbrigg Hall and Blickling Hall. Thursford is home to a wonderful collection of musical organs, 3miles away. Sandringham, one of the Queen's stately homes, is open to the public. And for young visitors there are a variety places including the Dinosaur Park and Sea Life Centre.
A shop and petrol station are approx 1mile away and sells a good range of convenience foods and locally made meat and fruit pies and cakes. There is a small Coop in the next village at Briston, where there is also an excellent butcher's with a good deli and the doctor's surgery is also in the village. Supermarkets and banks are available at Holt and Fakenham. Good restaurants can be found at both these places as well as Hunstanton, Walsingham and Edgefield. Fakenham and Holt hold weekly markets and Fakenham also holds a weekly auction on a Thursday and it can be great fun finding a bargain.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
8 Apr 2017 - 21 Jul 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
22 Jul 2017 - 9 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Changeover Day is Saturday and arrival time is after 3pm and departure time before 10am. We do ask our guests to keep to these times as it is a large property and we need this time to carry out the changeover to a high standard.
A deposit of 25% is required at the time of booking and the remaining balance is then due 8 weeks before the start date. We accept payment through online bank transfer or by cheque.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is situated within Gunthorpe, a pretty village with traditional village green and flint and brick cottages. The village is barely a mile from the coast road so benefits from convenience and lack of traffic and noise. There are lots of countryside walks around the village. We are privileged to be in a peaceful area but able to easily access beaches, towns and a variety of popular areas including the Norfolk Broads and the seal colony at Blakeny Point.”
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- water parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- 800 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet
- There are two family bathrooms, the first has a walkin shower and a bath. The second has a bath with shower fitting. And lastly there is a separate toilet.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Single Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (5 bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 5 bedrooms - 2 double; 2 twin bedroom and 1 single bedroom. Please note the single room overlooking the courtyard, is accessed by stairs, all the other rooms are on the ground floor.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The property has been decorated and furnished to a high standard throughout and the vaulted ceilings make the rooms light and airy. The living room has a feature fire place with wood burning stove, a flat screen HDTV with Freesat HD and DVD player and comfortable seating. CD player/Radio, board games and local guides to the area are provided. The kitchen is fully equipped with crockery and kitchen utensils and includes a cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster and fridge/freezer. There is a separate utility room leading off of the kitchen with dishwasher and washing machine/dryer. The bed linen and tea towels are provided, however towels are not supplied. There is a travel cot available on request. Oil fired central heating is included in the price. Unfortunately we are unable to allow pets. Outside: The Stables Courtyard has a fully enclosed courtyard leading from the Kitchen/dining room ideal for BBQ's with the added benefit of a little privacy. The garden furniture and barbecue are provided to provide hassle free entertainment and relaxation. The property is also surrounded by spacious gardens with a large duck pond located at the front, perfect to enjoy the tranquillity of the rural setting, however children may need supervision. There is a large parking area at the front of the property big enough for 3/4 cars. Utility Room: Washing machine/tumble dryer, dishwasher and microwave Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen and tea towels are provided. Towels are not supplied. The property is cleaned and bed linen replaced on changeover days. Other: CD player/radio, board games, children's toys, magazines and local guides and brochures for the surrounding area.