Holiday Home in Sainte Valiere, Minervois-Aude, Languedoc - Quiet Location in Village Surrounded by Vineyards, 35 Minutes from Beach
Renovated Maison de Maitre near the centre of a picturesque village in the Cathar region of Languedoc, midway between Carcassonne, Beziers and Narbonne, with patio, private swimming pool and large garden. The house is next door to a Minervois wine "cave". The village has its own shop and cafe. Bank, post office, chemist can be found in nearby village 5 minutes away. Nearest supermarkets are 10 minutes drive. Beautiful views from top of house over vineyards towards the Montagne Noire. Undulating countryside ideal for walks and cycling. There are many local restaurants in the vicinity. The house has five bedrooms and three bathrooms, a large living/dining room and a separate TV room with Broadband WiFi and UK Freeview TV. The recently renovated kitchen is fully equipped and gives on to the patio, pergola and swimming pool. The large garden ensures privacy and there are vineyards to the rear. The picturesque Canal du Midi is 3 kms away. Historic Narbonne is 25 mins and the nearest beaches 35 mins.
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful holiday home in a stunning part of Franc
About the Owner
My wife and I live in Wiltshire; we've had a holiday home in France for over twenty years, and we've recently decided to move to the Languedoc region, as we love the 300 days of sunshine per year and the proximity to the sea. As we're keen on the Mediterranean climate and vegetation, we've been busy stocking the garden with olives, cypresses, umbrella pines and mulberries (for shade). The village is extremely friendly and our neighbours - who run a vineyard - have quickly made us feel at home. The village has an international feel as quite a few Brits, Belgians, Americans, Canadians and Aussies live there full-time. One of favourite past-times is to visit the covered market in Narbonne where the local produce is incredibly fresh!
Guestbook comments from the owner
July 2011 "Great house, lovely village, perfect introduction for our children to France"
August 2011 "We've had a fine holiday, thank you"
July 2012: "We have really enjoyed our stay in your lovely house. It has been very relaxing and we have spent many a night "destressing" with a glass of the local "La Visoniere" wine! This is a beautiful area of France with a lot of fascinating history.
August 2012: "We have a had a fantastic time in this gorgeous house, pool brilliant, library much appreciated. Lovely part of france too. Visited all the places mentioned in this (visitors) book, fabulous choices, all top tips"
4.7 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Beautiful holiday home in a stunning part of Franc
Just returned from this beautiful holiday home and can't recommend it highly enough. The house is spacious, clean and well equipt. The pool is fantastic. We travelled with another family and a combined total of 5 boys aged between 7and 11. There is so much in the area to do. Beaches, towns, river swimming, kayaking, watermarks and wine tasting. Definitely one of outer best holidays ever.
Lovely comfortable home with everything you need for a great holiday in this wonderful part of France. Pool was enjoyed by all of my family (Wexford,Ireland) garden and local village stunning. Property is in a quiet part of the village very private would highly recommend this home for a family holiday.
Fabulous House in Sainte Valiere
We - the Cotter Family of Bicester, Oxon , and our friends the Logan Family of Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire had a most wonderful holiday at this beautiful house this Summer. The facilities were excellent, this is obviously a well loved family home, which just happens to be available for Families like us to rent out - what a great place to relax, enjoy some chilled wine (from the "Cave" next door), and BBQ every night of our Vacances. Too much to impart re: everything we did but swimming in the Orbe was just great. You will most definitely Not be Disappointed if you select this lovely, rustic property for your "Hols" and the swimming pool was so refreshing after a relax in the Sun !! We'll be back in the future !! Nick, Debbie, Chris, Dan, Alex, Lauren and La Famille Logan !!
From the Owner
“Having travelled through this region many times on our way to Spain, we have decided it offers everything we could want: a warm climate where the wind helps to keep the summer heat at bay, a wide blue sky and those wonderful Mediterranean aromatic herbs underfoot. We've fallen in love with the rolling hills of vineyards with vistas stretching towards the Pyrenees. We particularly wanted to be part of a French village life, and there is just the right blend of friendly locals and well-integrated foreign residents. Unlike some of the villages on the nearby Canal du Midi, this one is not overrun with tourists in the summer months. A short drive takes you to the picture postcard resorts of Collioure and Banyuls, and Spain is only an hour away.”
Activity and Interests
There are long sandy beaches at Narbonne Plage and Gruissan (35-40 mins) though we have found the beach at Leucate Plage (60 mins), on the way to Perpignan, can be less crowded.
Carcassonne airport is approximately 45 minutes drive. Perpignan can be reached in one hour, Montpellier 75 mins and Gerona & Toulouse 2 hours. It is recommended that visitors come with a car, or hire a car locally. The drive from Calais is about 10 hours.
The nearest large village is 2 kms away. The nearest town is Narbonne which is 25 minutes drive.
Supermarkets can be found in St Marcel and in Olonzac, both 10 minutes by car. Olonzac also has a good local market. Bicycles can be hired in Ventennac (5 mins by car) for cycling along the shady Canal du Midi. There is good canoeing on the Orb near Roquebrun (about 45 minutes by car). The local river Cesse has some bathing pools in Bize (10 mins away) and further upstream.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
25 Sep 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£179|
Please contact the owner for booking procedures. A deposit of 50% of the rental is required to confirm the booking and the balance is payable one month before the rental. A refundable breakages/damages deposit of E200 is also payable one month before the rental.
Changeover day is Saturday. Guests are asked to leave before 10.00 am and to arrive after 5.00 pm.
50% chargeable to confirm booking. Remaining 50% plus €200 damages deposit payable one month before start of rental
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The local "epicerie" - just 100 metres down the road in the village square - sells fresh bread and croissants from 08.30 and also stocks other basics. Other supplies are within a few minutes drive. We like the privacy afforded by the large garden behind the house, as well as the vineyard beyond. For those who like water sports, there are ample oportunities to canoe in the local rivers or to wind-surf or kite-surf in the lagoons beyond Narbonne. Cycling or barge-renting along the nearby Canal du Midi is also popular.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 on first floor is en suite to Bedroom 1, with shower, WC, wash basin and bidet. It is accessible throigh Bedroom 1. Bathroom 2 on the second floor can be accessed directly from the landing. It has a bath (with shower attachment), WC and wash basin. Bathroom 3 is on the first floor accessible from the landing; it has a shower, toilet and wash basin
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9-11 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed. Bedroom 2 with double bed. Bedroom 3 with two single beds. Bedroom 4 with double bed and child's wrought-iron cot. Bedroom 5 with single bed. Two extra folding beds are available.
- Terrace ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Barbecue ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: The swimming pool measures 8m x 4.5m and was built in 2005. It is serviced/cleaned at weekly intervals (on Saturdays). The pool has a "bubble-wrap" summer cover which can be rolled across to keep the heat in during the night. A gas BBQ is supplied and there are pool loungers, chairs and outside tables. It is strongly advised not to take glasses near the pool but to only use plastic cups. The garden measures approximately 1000 square metres. It has plenty of shade, being stocked with acacias, mulberries, cypresses, almonds and umbrella pines, as well as a plum tree, a fig tree, a Judas tree and an apricot tree. There are vineyards to the back of the property, where there is car access via the garden gate. Utility Room: The first utility room off the kitchen has the central heating boiler; the second utility room has a WC, small fridge and washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The house will be cleaned before and after each tenancy. Other: The separate ground floor sitting room has a sofa and two easy chairs, with satellite TV receiving free-to-view UK channels. There are ample landings on the first and second floors with bookshelves and extra seating.