Farmhouse in Saumane, Gard, Languedoc, France - Quiet Location on the Edge of the Cevennes National Park
La Becedelle is a comfortably furnished sixteenth century farmhouse in a small hamlet on the edge of the Cevennes National Park and has uninterrupted views over the wooded chestnut hills which are typical of the area. The climate is that of the Mediterranean but at 500m above sea level. People of every age have found something to enjoy at La Becedelle; the unspoilt beauty, journeys to the heart of the Cevennes National Park, the eagles soaring overhead and the amazing caves. Others have liked walking through the chestnut forests and along the hilltops which abound with wild flowers. There are several Grand Rondonnes which pass near the house. Still more have enjoyed shopping in the local markets, which are full of colour and sell a huge variety of food, traditional Provencal fabrics and much more. There is canoeing and riding all over the region and tennis locally. Above all, everyone has adored the wonderful river bathing where everyone of every age finds endless pleasure.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"As we were driving up the lane to La Becedelle we didn’t know what to expect …. but what a find! We loved the house and most of all the terrace. We recommend canoeing in the Gorge du Tarn, climbing at Seynes, the local river pool and playing tennis in Saumane."
"Some fantastic swims – loved the pool at the bottom of the hill and nerve jangling rock jump. Great to be in the hills and take in the impressive views. After some intensive research, we all decided that the finest spot of all for a cold beer and dinner was the fine terrace here at La Becedelle. Thanks for a great holiday."
"Wonderful stay in rambling La Becedelle. Awesome terrain and awe inspiring history discovered in various musée, including musical one at Anduze. Trimmed the roses and was assisted horticulturally by (it seems) a nocturnal boar who rotary hoed various areas of the lawn. A special delight for us to share your retreat whilst discovering the main delights of this magical region – shall spread the word!"
Activity and Interests
The beaches of the Camargue and Sete are about 2 hours drive away.
Avignon, Nimes and Montpellier are less than two hours away. There are daily direct flights from the UK to Montpellier and Nimes with Ryan Air and other airlines. The TGV also goes to Nimes and Montpellier. A car is essential.
The two nearest villages (five minutes drive) on the valley floor by the river are Saumane and L'Estrachure which have shops and restaurants to cater for all your daily needs. The nearest market town, St Jean du Gard, is fifteen minutes drive away.
Market Day is Tuesday in St Jean du Gard, Thursday in Anduze and there are other markets in other nearby towns on most days of the week.
The museum in the Grand Rue, St Jean du Gard is excellent on the local area and history.
A little further away is La Bambouseraie. Taking the steam train from St Jean du Gard is fun - La Bambouseraie is one stop before Andouze. www.labambouseraie.fr.
Close to Avignon you can find Pont du Gard, a Unesco World Heritage site and well worth a visit (if you are travelling from Avignon you pass right by it). www.pontdugard.fr for further details.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
50% of the rental fee (Euro cheque or direct transfer) and completed booking form to confirm the reservation
The balance of the rental fee is payable eight weeks before commencement of the booking together with a security deposit of £250 to cover any expensive telephone calls, breakages etc.
Lettings are from Saturday 16:00 hrs to Saturday 10:00 hrs to allow for cleaning
Notes on prices:
Christmas and Easter rates upon request - please contact the owners.
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Room
- Music Library
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Bath (no shower)
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Outdoor shower - Shower Enclosure, Outdoor Shower, Outdoor shower by pool
- En-suite to Bedroom 1 with bath and wash basin, separate WC. Main floor bathroom with bath, wash basin and WC. Lower floor shower room with WC. Additional shower in the pool area.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 4 Child Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps up to 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with a double bed. Bedroom 2 with twin beds. Dormitory with 5 single beds. Bedroom 3 with a double bed Bedrooms 4 and 5 with twin beds.
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Barbecue ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: La Becedelle is built into the hillside and has several terraces with tables and chairs for dining out, a built in wood/charcoal barbecue, a wisteria covered arbour and a private heated 11x5m pool, all of which benefit from extensive views over the valley. Utility Room: Washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linens package is 36 Euros per person and includes pillow cases, sheets, bath towels and swim towels. Clean up charge at the end of the letting is approximately 120 Euros. Any other cleaning is 20 Euros per hour and should be arranged in advance. Other: Laundry room on the ground floor with washing machine.