Restored Barn in Latronquiere, Lot, Midi Pyrenees - Peaceful Location Surrounded By Woods, Country Lanes And Historical Sites
The Gite comprises 3 bedrooms, sleeping 6 /7 adults. There are an additional 2 double bedrooms available nearby at an additional small charge, 1 with on-suite bathroom. Located in over 4 acres of park and woodland the gite is near to the owner’s home, if anything is needed, but separate enough to ensure privacy. It has its own parking and exclusive use of the swimming pool and barbeque patio area. It is a tastefully restored barn in the beautiful Garden of Segala region of the Lot valley. Positioned at the meeting of the Departments of the Lot, Cantal, Corrèze and Dordogne, it offers a hub for visiting historical sites or pursuing your favourite pastimes including walking, water sports, tennis, wine tasting and motor-biking. The local village is within 5 minutes drive with 2 boulangeries, bank, bar and shop. A highlight is the wood panelled hallway leading into a double height stone walled, oak beamed living room with Cantal fireplace and wood burner ensuring a perfect end to the day.
About the Owner
We are a retired couple from UK previously living in Salisbury Wiltshire UK, We were lucky enough to live in Paris for 7 years. Having travelled widely in France we had a special love for the Midi Pyrenees region.
We retired and sold our UK house in 2008, bought a caravan and headed up to the middle of France from Bilbao looking for a future home. Driving towards the Dordogne, we stopped off in the Lot valley about 60 miles south. We fell in love with the forests, rivers, hills, history and people we met in what was an unknown area for us. We purchased the house and gite in 2008 and have spent the last 5 years welcoming people to the Gite. We have all our guest comments available upon request.
Guestbook comments from the owner
7/11 Katharine & Mark Bedfordshire - We have enjoyed every moment here at the beautiful Cap Del Suc, lazy days around your fantastic pool and long nights using the BBQ! The Gite is fabulous, well equipped and luxurious and your hospitality and generosity is beyond expectation. …… never wanted it to end and ……. has smiled every day! We will be back. Thanks x
8/11Lisa & Billy Kent - Thank you for just the best week. The Gite is wonderful, has everything you could ever think of in! A lot of care has been taken so that you have a relaxing week. The weather was very kind to us, but even though this is somewhere we could love to come back to. You are both so welcoming, generous & kind. Thank you for everything. All our love & best wishes for continued success. Xx
From the Owner
“Latronquiere is located high in the hills above the Célé valley. The outstanding attraction to us was the beautiful intersecting wooded valleys that catch your breath every time you turn a corner or crest the top of a hill. The life here is very seasonal and the weather can be quite extreme with very hot summers, spectacular autumnal colours and cold fresh winters. Being on the edge of the volcanic area of the Auvergne there are wonderful views of snow peaked mountains providing skiing for our family only an hour from home. Eating out is a key reason for living in France. The area abounds with wonderful restaurants. There is a huge choice of cuisine with prices ranging from the "Artisans" 5 course 11 Euro lunch to Michelin star restaurants with prices to match.”
Activity and Interests
The gite is situated in an especially beautiful area of countryside called the Garden of Segala. The centrepiece of this is the large Lac de Tolerme. The lake provides beautiful walks, has pedalos and sailing boats for hire and boasts both a lovely restaurant and a quality fast food grill bar overlooking the lake.
Rodez: (0.5 hours drive) Ryan air from Stan stead
Limoges: (2.5 hours drive) Ryan air from Stan stead Nottingham Liverpool,
Brive: (1 hours drive) Jet 2 from Manchester, City Jet from London City.
Bergerac: (2 .5 hours drive) Ryan air from Liverpool, Bristol, Brussels & East Midlands - Fly be from Exeter & Leeds Bradford - Leeds Bradford by Jet2
Note some flights are seasonal (typically March/April to October)
Ferry 9 hours from Calais and 7 from Le Havre.
The gite is at the centre of sights in all directions including:
Rocamadour – Hillside City – 2nd religious site in France (44km)
Cahors - world famous vineyards along the River LOT (75km)
Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - magnificent artist colony hill top village (60km)
Conques - ancient town with Roman church (40k m)
Millau Bridge - Famous British designed tallest in France (125km) near to -
Gorge Du Tarne - famous French canyon with exotic plant and bird life (130km)
Distances are road not direct.
Sporting facilities abound including canoeing on the Dordogne, fishing on the Lot river, tennis, and walking amongst the thousands of pretty lanes (Chemins), horse riding and boating. The Gite is very near to the famous pilgrimage to Santiago de Campostela, which passes from Rocamadour through the area on its way to Spain.
There is wonderful sightseeing amongst ancient hillside towns in the lush rolling hills around the Lot and Célé valleys and on to the stark volcanic plain of the Causse de Gramat. This area boasts both dramatic caves such as the Gouffe De Padirac, and is within a day’s trip from the beauty of the upper Dordogne valley with its troglodyte caves, museums and famous chateaux. Nearer to the Gite are the beautiful Chateaux of Castlenau and Montal - perfect examples of Renaissance architecture.
Wine is an important part of the local life with the Malbec vineyards of Cahors, the gentler Vins du Pays Quercy and Lot and those of Marcillac with its overgrown medieval terraces high in the hills near Rodez. All are welcoming for those who enjoy wine tasting. Visits may be organised if required.
Bird watching is popular with the area's large variety of species and beautiful countryside a particular attraction.
Restaurants abound from the famous low cost Artisan type lunch menus (typically 11-12 Euros for 5 courses!) to a range of high quality places including a Michelin Star restaurant less the 20 minutes away! All tastes are catered for from superb French cooking, to Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, North African, Caribbean, Creperie and popular Pizza delights.
Star gazing whether a hobby or pleasure, the gite is located in an area of very clear skies boasting some of the lowest light pollution in Europe. The location was once an Edwardian paradise for those in the South of France seeking its fresh air and clear skies due its height of over 600 metres.
Available are Motor Bike tours, art galleries and the French Resistance museums in both Figeac and Cahors.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Jun 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 25 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
26 Aug 2017 - 8 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Bookings are normally taken from 4PM on the Saturday of arrival until 11AM on the Saturdays of departure.
All charges are normally included with the option for the owner to charge for major breakages or exceptional cleaning costs.
Payment can be by cheque - Euro or Sterling, cash or by electronic transfer (Sterling only).
Changeover day is normally a Saturday but other days might be considered if other bookings allow and the minimum paid-for period is normally 7 days.
Arrival after 16.00 and departure before 10.00 if possible. Flexibility is available if required.
Notes on prices:
Prices are in GB Pounds and include all charges.
30% Deposit to confirm booking and the balance no later than 6 weeks before the holiday stay.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is 5 minutes drive from the local village of Latronquiere. There is a wonderful local shop with an outstanding butcher who specialises in prime beef and duck. There is a bank, cash machine, 2 boulangeries for fresh bread and croissants, an excellent garage and, as in most French villages, the Pharmacy. We also boast a main post office and even a tax office where you seem to pay everything! There are several supermarkets within easy reach but the quality of the local shop defies belief and we have finally stopped missing Tesco and the delights of Waitrose! The house has several outbuildings that provide a wealth of secure storage including parking for Bikers and their wonderful machines. Our greatest love remains the pool, patio and woodland walks that we hope you will also enjoy.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- autumn foliage
- theme parks
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Ground floor bathroom with, full sized bath, with hand shower, thermostatically controlled shower in good sized cabin, modern basin, shaving point and heated towel rail. The upper floor shower room has the same shower, basin, shaving point and towel rail.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6/7 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Ground floor Bedroom 1 with double bed and wardrobe, Upper floor beamed rooms comprising attractive beamed Bedroom 2 with twin bed and wardrobe, bedroom 3 with twin bed, built-in hanging cupboard, original Futon adult size folding bed and cot if required.
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The gite is a recently restored standalone barn in the 4 acre grounds of the owner's house. There is a wood panelled entrance hall leading to the very large living area. Using the large dimensions of the barn, the accommodation is based around a high ceilinged beamed room with large traditional Cantal fireplace, log burner, heavy hide sofa and a bright poplar wood lined ceiling. There is a large wrought iron 6 lamp centre ceiling light with and attractive wrought iron lamp stand for side lighting. The dining area has attractive period furniture and a large Louis Philippe style buffet cupboard. A staircase, with child door at the top, leads to the upper bedrooms, bathroom and small library space (minstrel gallery) overlooking the main room. All bedrooms have modern beds, duvets and double pillows, carpeted with plenty of drawer and hanging space and electric fans are provided. The kitchen has a modern sink unit in traditional cupboards and professional sized range cooker. Outside: The gite is situated with its own car park area separately to the owner's property. The private pool is situated nearby and has a sun patio with 6 sun loungers and a large covered seating area with a 6 seat picnic bench. The newly renovated pool measures 10 x 5 Metres and is normally exclusive to the Gite unless otherwise agreed in advance for the occasional use of visitors to the owner's house. There is an adjacent patio comprising an 8 seater round teak dining table and sun shade umbrella next to a large stone based charcoal barbeque. There is also a conservatory for evening use that can also act as a covered drying area. The gite is set in 2 Hectares of land lawns, grass areas and pretty tree lined walks within the property. There is a large covered storage area suitable for the secure storage of motor bikes or cycles. There is use of 2 adult bicycles. There is a large outdoor table tennis table, bats and balls. There is a full sized tennis court although not Wimbledon! Utility Room: Ironing board and steam iron are provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen and towels are provided including pool towels. All linen and towels are changed weekly. A Washing machine is in kitchen for any other needs. Both an outside and inside drying areas are provided. Access to a tumble dryer is available. Other: Secure covered storage and motor bike parking available.