Cottage in Chardstock, Nr. Axminster, Devon, England - Tranquil Rural Setting Amidst Beautiful Countryside Yet Close to Amenities/Attractions and Beaches
Little Tythcote offers character accommodation for couples/families of up to 6 in spacious period cottage which has been renovated and appointed with care.
Dining Hall, Cloakroom/WC, Cosy Sitting Room, Shaker Breakfast Kitchen with comprehensive range of appliances. Striking Spiral staircase to 2 beamed bedrooms each with its own recently appointed private en-suite bathroom. Landing with wardrobes & storage space (inc. cot & high chair).
Parking for 2 cars within courtyard with space for sitting out. Leading through gate into pretty enclosed garden with benches, established wisteria and rose pergolas. There is rear access with drying area. WiFi on request.
In the heart of the village lies the ancient George Inn and St. Andrew's Church, while the Post Office Stores stocked with local produce & everyday needs, is a short walk up the lane. Tesco & Coop in both Chard & Axminster - the latter the home of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Deli & Cafe.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
We have owned Little Tythcote along with adjacent Tythcote House since 2006, when we discovered this idyllic spot. Following renovation and redecoration of these historic properties, we have been successfully letting Little Tythcote since 2007. Each year we continue to improve the property for the benefit of our future guests.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Mark and Catherine (Australia) - Tythcote has been a spacious comfortable home for 3 glorious weeks - walking in green countryside ... real ale, cream teas & freshly caught mackerel. Thanks for the warm welcome and generous inclusions. So much more peaceful than the Coast.
Louise & Rosie - What a wonderful stay we have had at Little Tythcote and so many lovely little touches - the wine, flowers & luxurious bath cremes. The setting is perfect and we have enjoyed it too, as a base for visiting glorious Dartmoor, Dartmouth, Sidmouth & Abbotsbury.
Catherine, Carole & Michael James - Arrived to a wonderful ambiance - fresh flowers, tea, coffee, wine and even treats for the dogs too. Charming Cottage catered for every need. Friendly village and community. Excellent owners managed to keep us all happy for a whole week - with nice weather too!
Paul & Sharon - Our 2nd visit to this delightful cottage. The welcome is second to none and we look forward to our next visit. Thank you.
1 holidaymaker review
This cottage was ideal for our needs with lovely extras on arrival such as fresh flowers, bottle of wine and biscuits, milk and the bathrooms were supplied with lovely bath essence and hand wash. Even the dog had some treats. We were given a warm welcome by the owner and our deposit was returned very promptly. The cottage was in a central location for various seaside resorts and the local pub was brilliant for basic good food. We could have had better weather but we still enjoyed being with the family and doing lovely walks with the dog. Salcombe Regis had brilliant views on the cliff top. A holiday to remember and would recommend the cottage and location to friends.
From the Owner
“We fell in love with the properties at first sight, as typical "chocolate box" Devon cottages. We did not know Chardstock at all as we had been looking to buy on the coast. However, we were immediately welcomed into the village community, which combines rural tranquillity with a thriving communal spirit which is always extended to our holiday guests. This communal spirit is celebrated in early September with the Annual Chardstock Street Fayre, organised by villagers to fund raise for numerous charities. Very soon we realised that Chardstock was an ideal all- year-round destination, always welcoming with something going on at St. Andrew's Church, the Village Hall, a pub quiz or Open Gardens yet without the frantic seasonal bustle of the coastal resorts, which can seem dead in winter.”
Activity and Interests
Lyme Regis (10 miles) is famous for golden sands and fossil hunting. Take the tramway along the Axe estuary from Seaton. Beer (12 miles) is a quaint fishing village with historic Beer caves, suntrap beach with huts for hire and great pubs & cafes. It hosts an annual Regatta each August. Walk over the headland past Pecorama miniature railway to Branscombe and its Donkey Sanctuary. 10 miles further down the coast is elegant Regency Sidmouth with its vibrant annual music festival early August.
M5 Junction 25 - approx 18 miles
A303 at Ilminster island - approx 10 miles
Exeter Airport - approx 25 miles.
Axminster Station - approx 5 miles.
Ferry at Weymouth - approx 35 miles.
We recommend use of a car when staying at this property.
Market Town of Chard approx 4 miles.
Ancient Market Town of Axminster approx 4 miles.
Honiton with its antique markets approx 14 miles.
Taunton - regional shopping centre approx 20 miles.
Exeter - Cathedral/University City approx 25 miles.
Cricket St.Thomas Wild Life Park approx 12 miles.
Fleet Air Arm Museum approx 30 miles.
Forde Abbey & Gardens approx 5 miles.
Various National Trust Properties within 30 minutes.
Within walking distance the Village shop/Post Office is well stocked and local produce can be ordered with daily papers. Surrounded by beautiful countryside, the ancient market towns of Chard & Axminster are both 4 miles away with range of shops, supermarkets, banks, museums, street markets and in Axminster the Sports Complex & Swimming pool and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Deli & Cafe.
At Honiton spend Saturday morning browsing the street market or individual specialist and antique shops.
The West Country counties of Devon & Dorset are probably the most popular for holidaymakers due to the climate, beaches, countryside & coastal walks along the Jurassic Coast, Devon Way & Honiton Heritage Trail and choice of varied attractions for all ages, making it an ideal holiday destination.
Little Tythcote is a fantastic place for a romantic getaway or family break in a friendly relaxed village. Lots of local attractions for families or couples - including golf, horse riding, fishing - or for those just wanting to get away from it all and explore the beautiful surrounding countryside of the Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and historic Jurassic Coast.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
3 Sep 2016 - 4 Nov 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
5 Nov 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
17 Dec 2016 - 31 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Please ring to check availability/request booking form. One-third rent is required on booking, with balance due 8 weeks beforehand. Bookings within 8 weeks of holiday require payment in full. On confirmation of booking, guests are liable for full cost. We recommend Holiday Cancellation Protection is taken out to cover possible cancellation. Security Deposit of £200 against damage, breakages, etc. which will be refunded in full upon satisfactory inspection.
Usually Saturday to Saturday, especially in high season but please enquire for shorter breaks.
Arrival after 2pm and departure by 10am please. However, we try to be flexible to suit individual circumstances as it's your holiday.
One third deposit cheque required with completed Booking Form. Balance by cheque to be received 8 weeks before arrival.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Despite its "away from it all" feel, the property benefits from being within only 4 miles of all the facilities of both Chard and Axminster, where there is a main line station to London. There are lots of excellent pubs and restaurants to sample in the surrounding villages and countryside together with Farm Shops selling local produce and Garden Centres and cafes serving delicious cream teas. Details are available. We recommend a visit to The Trading Post at the end of the lane in the village of Tytherleigh, where you can spend time wandering down "memory lane" looking at the interesting memorabilia and bygones for sale. Little Tythcote combines every modern convenience with the old world charm of beams & period features and includes an en suite bathroom for each bedroom.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- bay fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Both en-suite bathrooms are fully tiled and recently appointed with white suites comprising panelled bath with hand shower attachment, pedestal washbasin and WC. Centrally heated ladder-style towel rails and large illuminated mirrors with shaver points.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps up to 6 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bed 1 has 6' superking (or twin 3' beds) & space for cot. Dressing table, chest & bedside tables. En-suite off. Bed 2 has twin beds, extra childs' beds or cot space. Matching pine furniture En-suite off. Downstairs double sofabed and Cloakroom/WC.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: Little Tythcote is family-friendly and suitable for all ages; those less mobile may wish to check details of the spiral staircase which has wide treads and a sturdy handrail. There is now a downstairs Cloakroom/WC. The accommodation has gas central heating, which heats domestic hot water. Electricity & gas are provided free from 1st April to 1st October. From 1st October to 31st March £30 per week is charged to cover increased costs. Pets welcome at £20 per week, downstairs in Hall & Kitchen on wood effect flooring, but for Health & Safety reasons NOT to be permitted on carpets, furniture or upstairs. The Cottage is adjacent to a mediaeval thatched house; so therefore for Fire Safety reasons SMOKING is NOT permitted inside nor BARBEQUES outside. High chair & cot and WiFi are available free on request when booking. No Booking Fee is made but a Security Deposit of £200 against damage, breakages, etc. is required but will be refunded upon satisfactory inspection. Outside: Little Tythcote is approached over a gravelled Courtyard with designated parking and additional guest parking if required. There is a seating area outside the front door - furniture for which is in the Hall. There is also a pretty enclosed lawned garden to the side approached via a timber gateway which has patio with bench seats, established wisteria, climbing roses and rose pergolas. This garden is shared with adjacent mediaeval Tythcote House (which we own) but our guests always have priority of use. There is also rear access to a drying area. Utility Room: Contains combi gas central heating boiler which also provides hot water on demand, tumble dryer, iron/board & airer. Rear lobby leads outside to drying area. For your safety smoke detectors, fire extinguishers & fire blankets are provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedding and bed linen, including bath and hand towels are provided free of charge. Please bring beach towels and cot bedding if required. The property is cleaned and fresh linen provided at commencement of each booking. Other: Double front doors open into the Dining Hall with garden table, 4 chairs & bench for use outside. Fully Fitted Cloakroom/WC, Bookcase stocked with selection of books, games, DVDs & CDs and feature cast iron spiral staircase to first floor accommodation.