Two Wings of Victorian Mansion House on Private Estate near Lyme Regis, Dorset, England - 20 Minute Walk Down to the Private Beach and Coastal Path
What a place for a family holiday, house party or general celebration! Here is luxury, space and natural magnificence! Within the landscaped grounds of a grand Victorian Mansion, Rousdon Estate has it all including a private beach and a nature reserve comprising 350 acres of beautiful coastal scenery. Both houses are sumptuously renovated, you can float through rooms that have been dressed in rich colours, fine fabrics and designer wallpapers, collapse in to deep leather sofas or
perch on exquisitely carved Balinese furniture, wend your way up lushly carpeted stairs wrapped around a leafy wrought-iron lighting pillar with 365 leaves. It's quite magical! There is a formal dining room which can seat up to 20 as well as a huge
eating kitchen. The sitting room is enormous, with full Sky package on the 40” HD TV and excellent sound systems with iPod docking station. Downstairs in the
basement there are games rooms for everyone, a cinema experience and a
treatment suite. Catering available.
Details for holiday home Peek House, The Mansion (7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14), 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14, 8 Bathrooms
In the huge eating kitchen there is a double ceramic butlers sink, matt-marble worktops, a Falcon range cooker, a GE American fridge/freezer with ice-maker, microwave and a large Miele dishwasher. In the basement there is a large laundry with Bosch washer and dryer, together with a large sink and ironing facilities. The enormous sitting room has comfortable sofas and soft furnishings, a huge fire place with large 'Clearview' wood-burning stove. The elegant dininroom can seat up to 20 people and there is a separate library for cards/games. The bedrooms are as follows: Master Bedroom with 4-poster and en-suite bathroom. 3 large double rooms all with en-suite bathrooms. 1 large twin with two double beds and en-suite bathroom. 2 large twin bedded rooms which share a bathroom. All 5 en-suite bathrooms have white furniture with steels baths and separate or built in showers. The shared shower room has a large walk-in shower. There are also showers in the ground floor and basement wcs.
About the Owner
Judith Ellard. Lives with partner in part of the Mansion house at Rousdon - renovated some 22,000 sq ft from 2002-5 - split off Peek House as large property to rent out. Rousdon is a lifestyle choice - a country way of living with wonderful walking, cycling, living by the sea with our gorgeous Hungarian Vizslas.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Visitors to Peek House are always impressed by its situation, presence and high standard of comfort and cleanliness. It is the perfect place for generations of families or groups of friends to holiday together without living on top of each other! Its generous proportions are always a pleasant surprise. The Estate is really special in itself with much history to discover and stunning building to wonder at.
From the Owner
“We wanted a lifestyle move from London and a project for me after selling my advertising business. Rousdon had been a boys school for some 60 years and was in a sad state of disrepair in 2002 when we bought it. A long and complete renovation programme was managed over three years resulting in Peek House as a 5* rental property. We are 500 ft above sea level with access to a private beach and 350 acres of fabulous countryside to walk in.”
Activity and Interests
Our own private beach is a 20 minute walk down through the Undercliff - part sandy and part pebbles. Lyme Regis has both sandy and pebbly beaches. Charmouth 4 miles away is great for fossil hunting - guided walks from Lyme. Beer and Branscombe have pebble beaches and Beer is a working fishing beach where you can buy wet fish everyday.
Exeter airport is 20 miles away by road, we are 1.5 hours drive from Southampton and Plymouth. Axminster train station is 4 miles away with direct link to Waterloo in London. Use of a car whilst staying on Rousdon Estate is essential.
Lyme Regis is 2 miles along the coast, with market town of Bridport 8 miles away. Pretty villages of Beer, Branscombe and Axmouth are close by. The Victorian resort of Sidmouth is 7 miles to the West and some of the most beautiful coastal walks in the country are within reach.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Xmas and NY
23 Dec 2016 - 5 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
Contact Judith Ellard on below details, for reservations. View availability on our website. A deposit is requested at time of booking with balance payable one month prior to your visit.
Friday is changeover day - access to house is from 4pm.
Deposit of 40% at time of booking, balance due one month prior to visit
- Available arrival
- Dining Area
- pets considered
- near the sea
- rain forests
- bird watching
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- 8500 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Peek House and Billiard Houses have achieved 5* property with outstanding gold awards for the last three years. Together the properties have accommodation totalling over 14000 sq ft. Both have a private garden with hard terrace and BBQ and there is ample parking for up to 7 cars. Catering can be arranged by local suppliers who offer a wide range of fare - celebration meals in the large dining room are a speciality. There is Wi-Fi available for internet access and a landline telephone in both properties. The Estate offers 350 acres of coastal parkland and walks, with access down to a private beach: many of the original buildings are now converted into small houses creating a unique Victorian village with gated entrance. Outside: Both properties have private gardens with stone terraces and wooden seating with some large trees for shade. There are BBQs and outside lighting. The parkland and fields on the estate are managed by a local farmer and livestock is often present - dogs must be kept under control when walking in the fields. There are stunning cliff top walks around the perimeter of the Estate, with a track down into the Undercliff, the nearest environment to a rain forest we have in the UK - the walk to the beach is best done in good shoes as it is steep in places, but worth every step!!