House in Fanjeaux, Nr. Carcassonne, Aude - Wonderful Panoramic Views in a Truly Tranquil Setting. A Village With Restaurant, Cafe And Shops
Our house offers generous living accommodation for 6. Each bedroom has a dedicated bathroom/wc and there are two large reception rooms allowing guests to have their own space.
It may be of interest to some that, attached to the house, there is a self-contained ground floor flat, which sleeps 2. This can be rented in addition to the house for a small extra charge. Note: This flat is never rented separately from the house.
The property is situated on the edge of Fanjeaux, a hill-top village with good amenities and an interesting history.
The house and garden enjoy a peaceful setting with panoramic views over the Lauragais valley to the Montagne Noire beyond. The valley consists of worked farms and picturesque villages giving an ever changing patchwork of colour.
There is easy access to Carcassonne (20mins) and Toulouse (50mins) which are places of considerable interest and have many flight connections. Other major attractions include the Mediterranean coast (1hr) and the Pyrenees (75mins). Close by, the Canal du Midi (a world heritage site) offers shaded walking, cycling or boat hire.
There are inland lakes for boating and swimming close by as well as public swimming pools in nearby towns. Many interesting visits to local market towns such as Mirepoix. Also there are many chateaux and exquisite countryside waiting to be enjoyed; a perfect area for ramblers. There are many signed walks.
For those interested in the historical links there are prehistoric sites in the approach to the Pyrenees, Roman sites and many hill top fortresses from the Cathar period including the Citadel in Carcassonne, which is a world heritage site, and Montsegur.
For the more active there is canoeing and white water rafting in the Aude and Arriege valleys as well as the challenges of the Pyrenees.
Top Traveller Review
Couldn't wish for better.Couldn't wish for better.
About the Owner
We are retired folk in our 60s who love France, because of its beauty and marvelous food and wine. We have chosen a house which is both secluded and integrated into a vibrant village. The views from the garden are stunning and I have found them impossible to capture in my photos, unfortunately; this fact has been commented on by many of our clients, i.e. we have not done justice to them!
As Pomme Rose is our second home, you will find that all basic household requirements are met on your arrival, for example, washing up liquid, dishcloths, shampoo etc.
We hope we have created a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.
Guestbook comments from the owner
1) "We had a lovely time in your cottage and our children appreciated the space. It really had the feeling of being in a home rather than a holiday let and we could see you had given it a lot of care and attention." Ian. Henley.
2) "Even though the weather was rather mixed, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Your property is extremely comfortable and the views (including impressive thunderstorms) from it wonderful. We found Fanjeaux an ideal base for exploring the surrounding areas in order to absorb the fascinating history of this part of France." Frank and Theresa. West Lothian.
3) Your house is lovely and the quietness of the garden overlooking that fantastic view has altered our opinion as to the best place we have ever stayed in France. Gary. Herefordshire
4)Thank you for our holiday. All of us and our friends thought the location was wonderful. We do hope it will not be our last visit as we are keen to visit the area again. Jane and Nigel. Hertfordshire.
1 holidaymaker review
Couldn't wish for better.
Pomme Rose is a very spacious and comfortable property with amazing views from a superb garden. We had everything we needed...and more! Located at the top of the village it is convenient for all the local amenities and Fanjeaux is a fascinating mediaeval village. Would love to return.
From the Owner
“We have loved France for many years, the culture, the food and wine and the language. We took holidays there almost every year with our children and extended family. When we retired, we started to look for a place of our own in France, as we could now stay for longer periods at a time. We looked at several regions over some years and enjoyed doing it, but we fell in love with the countryside in this part of the Lanquedoc region as it is so varied; sun-flowers, wheat, oil-seed rape and vines with beautiful towns and villages scattered throughout. There is always green in the area in spite of the sunshine. Also a different scene can be easily achieved by driving to the Pyrenees or the beach. The ambience of the area is calm and quiet, the people friendly and welcoming.”
Activity and Interests
The nearest beach is Narbonne Plage which is an hour away by car. Numerous other beaches can be found either to the south or east of Narbonne.
Carcassonne airport (Ryanair) is 20 mins by car. There are flights from Stanstead, Liverpool, East Midlands, Leeds-Bradford and Glasgow as well as the Irish Republic. Car hire is quick and simple as the airport is small.
Toulouse airport (Easyjet, BA and Air France) is just over an hour away by car.
Car hire is essential if flying as Fanjeaux is in a rural area.
There is a motor rail terminus at Toulouse for those wanting to take their own cars but not drive.
Bram, ten minutes drive, offers comprehensive shopping and access to the Canal du Midi and main motorway.
Limoux and Mirepoix (both 20 mins) are attractive medieval market towns with shops and cafes.
Carcassonne at 25 mins has its famous citadel (a world heritage site) as well as several other tourist attractions and shops.
Toulouse at 1 hours drive offers all the facilities of a modern city as well as great heritage.
Andorra in the heart of the Pyrenees is just under 2 hrs away.
There are numerous good restaurants in the area including some attached to well established wineries. For the gourmets there are four rosetted restaurants within half an hour's drive. The wines of the area are very well established and there are numerous opportunities for tasting as well as wider education. The area is famous for its Cathar heritage with the remains of several mountain top fortresses from that era. There are also several abbeys offering beautiful gardens and excellent cuisine. Although the immediate landscape is pastoral the location offers easy access to the more rugged Mediterranean scenery and the grandeur of the Pyrenees.
There is a small 'corner' shop in Fanjeaux itself, a butchers, bakery, pharmacy, cafe and restaurant. A small fruit, cheese and egg market comes to the village once a week. There are 'antique' furniture and knick-knack sales in the market square occasionally and regular services in the lovely local Catholic church.
Bram, ten minutes drive, offers comprehensive shopping and banks and access to the Canal du Midi and main motorway. On Wednesdays, Bram holds a large market of foods, plants and clothes. Of course the market in Carcassonne is well known for its colour and vibrancy. Other local towns also have their market days and it is a good opportunity to see the locals too.
There are several supermarkets within 10 minutes by car, which provide much as the English ones do.
There is walking, cycling and boat hire along the Canal du Midi, in the shade of the magnificent Plane trees and numerous cafes along its route.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
2 Oct 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
30 Oct 2016 - 25 Mar 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
On confirming you would like to rent the property, you will be sent a booking form to fill-in and sign. A 20% non-refundable deposit is required at this stage. The balance is due 8 weeks before the start of the rental. A damage deposit of £200 for one or two week bookings is required with the final payment. A larger deposit is required for longer stays. This money will be returned within 2 weeks, subject to damage or excessive cleaning requirements, e.g. spills on furniture or carpets.
Preferred change-over day is Saturday, but out of high-season this is more flexible, with other days possible.
Arrival must be after 4 p.m and leaving before 10 a.m. This allows for cleaning and checking the house.
Notes on prices:
Prices are based on up to 6 people staying.
The price shown on each line refers to weeks starting on Saturdays on or between the dates shown.
For bookings that start mid week we may add a surcharge to reflect loss of one week's rental.
Discounts are available on longer term lets.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We bought the house firstly because of the wonderful views from it, which we had failed to find previously in years of searching. Moreover the immediacy of the village and its facilities provide security and convenience without spoiling the peace and quiet. The house has age and character and a sense of space. The proximity to the airport and motorway makes it easily accessible, yet it is perfectly peaceful sitting in the garden. The house is our second home and we love it. It is therefore furnished and equipped generously and comfortably. There is a long history to the area and there are many attractions to see if you are so inclined; also being unspoiled countryside the walks and cycling are a pleasure. Few areas offer such a variety of beautiful scenery within easy reach.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- winery tours
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 1st floor: Bedroom 1 has en suite bathroom/WC. Bedroom 2 has en suite shower-room/WC. Bedroom 3 has adjacent bathroom/shower/WC. Ground floor: Separate WC with washbasin. Double bedroom has dedicated bathroom with bath, WC and basin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps up to 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: First floor: Bedroom 1- double bed with en suite Bedroom 2 - twin beds with en suite Bedroom 3 - twin beds with adjacent bathroom. All bedrooms are fully furnished.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house is furnished with care, as a family home and has a comfortable but relaxed feel about it. It is well equipped and practical. You are provided with most things necessary for starting your stay comfortably e.g the kitchen has oil, salt, herbs, some tinned food, dishcloth, washing up liquid, hand -soap etc. The bathrooms have shampoo, hand-soap, shower gel and loo rolls to help you start your visit with ease. Outside: The garden is secluded and peaceful and enjoys a magnificent panorama over the farmland of the Lauragais valley and beyond. It consists of a large level area immediately outside the house, with BBQ and plentiful garden furniture for 6 people to dine and lounge around in comfort. There are many private corners and patios for guests to enjoy. The rest of the garden consists of landscaped, planted terraces and a sloping meadow, with mature evergreen trees. Because of the terracing, we suggest the garden is not suitable for children under 4, although younger ones have stayed perfectly safely. It depends how sensible your child is! At appropriate times of year there are cherries, greengages, apples, figs, olives and walnuts to be enjoyed from the garden. You are welcome to eat them! Utility Room: There is an area next to the kitchen where washing liquid, softner, bin bags, cleaning liquids, washing up liquid etc are stored for your convenience on arrival. Circular washing line and pegs are stored there too. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedlinen and house towels are included. Guests must bring their own swimming/beach towels. The house is professionally cleaned before and after each rental period. For longer stays, a change of bed linen can be provided on request. Other: There is a second sitting room with comfortable chairs and TV and wifi connection. This allows for clients to follow their own pursuits separately if they like.