Farmhouse near St. Ciers du Taillon, Charente Maritime, France - Idyllic countryside, 5 Minutes Walk to the Village
Traditional, serene Charentaise farmhouse with 5 bedrooms, sleeps 11. Set in 3 acres of garden and orchard, overlooking vineyards, and rolling farm and woodland. Private swimming pool, completely updated interiors, but retaining many original 18th century features including fireplaces, tiled floors, and exposed beams. 5 minute walk to village with shops and restaurant, 35 minute drive to beaches, historic cities and golf.
About the Owner
Jean Stern has split her time between London and France since for over 30 years. First she lived in Brittany, and for the last 15 years has lived in and renovated her 18th century farmhouse in the Charente Maritime. She loves to garden and spend time with here family and friends in both London and France. Now she has retired, Chez Le Gay has become a much cherished family holiday home for three generations.
1 holidaymaker review
The Rustic Experience
The house is old and displays rustic charm. It is listed as having completed updated interiors - think it has been some time since this was completed. The house could be a lot cleaner and the linen provided could do with updating. I would be surprised if the downstairs shower room would fit a wheelchair. The gardens are beautiful and the pool is lovely. There is no covered parking. The furniture has been well used and could do with recovering. We did enjoy a very peaceful week and would recommend the house if it received a few basic updates.
From the Owner
“This old farmhouse was an empty nest project, when the children went off to college. After gaining much experience from our first house in Brittany, we had a clear idea of our perfect holiday home in France. Near the sea, lots of sun, in beautiful countryside but walking distance to the morning bread. First came the pool, next a new roof, and we've carried on renovating, exploring the charms of the region, and enjoying every minute of our journey.”
Activity and Interests
35 minutes drive to sandy beaches for children. 45 minutes to Atlantic rollers.
50 minutes to Bordeaux airport. 70 minutes to La Rochelle. 4-5 hour drive to St Malo (channel crossing). Car highly recommended.
1//2 mile from St Ciers du Taillon.
5 miles from Mirambeau (market town).
12 miles from Jonzac (railhead).
45 miles from Bordeaux.
30 miles from Cognac.
8 miles to Gironde fishing villages.
25 miles to Blay ferry across Gironde to Medoc.
40 miles to St Emilion.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£250|
Please call/email for any questions. 20% deposit required on booking. Balance to be posted by cheque 5 weeks before arrival. I will phone/email to confirm arrival of cheque. Separate cheque £250 for security deposit required on arrival and returned at holiday conclusion. For last minute bookings please contact by phone/email to arrange quick payment.
Saturday preferred in high season.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We love exploring, and we love not going anywhere, since there's lots to do without getting in the car. Everything we need is down the lane in the village, or a bike ride to the farmer who sells us his own fresh produce. In the summer we pick our own fruit from the orchard. In the winter, we walk through the network of rural lanes and paths, gather round the open fireplaces and sample the local wines. The house and garden are large enough to comfortably accommodate large parties, but also offers quiet corners for peace and privacy.”
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- smoking allowed
- wheelchair accessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to bedroom 1 with shower and WC. Family bathroom with bath, shower and WC. Shower room with WC and washing machine. WC only.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 11 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1, king-sized double, en-suite bathroom. Bedroom 2, king-sized double, French windows to garden. Bedroom 3, double bed and day-bed/child's bed. Bedroom 4, doublebed. Bedroom 5, 2 bunk beds, 2 singles.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Extra cleaning available on request. Outside: In-ground 10 metre landscaped private pool with Roman steps, and surrounding loungers. Throughout garden are hammocks benches and other seating to suit the mood of every time of day. 2 terraces allow for breakfast and dinner in the sunshine. House fronts onto private courtyard surrounded by stone barns belonging to the house, including covered parking. Path from bottom of orchard leads through sunken hedgerow lined lanes to village where delicious croissants and baguettes are baked daily. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels, linens, included. House is cleaned before each new arrival. Pool is cleaned weekly. Other: Mezzanine family room with 28 inch Satellite TV.