Cornerways Cottage, High Street, Wingham, Nr. Canterbury, Kent - Ideal for Country/Sea Break, Visit Beaches, Castles, Zoos, Gardens, Golf courses, Fish, Cycle, Walk
4*Charming 2 bedroom Victorian cottage Sleeps 4 + cot in a listed Square in centre of the conservation village of Wingham, near Canterbury. Newly restored, original features abound, sash windows all with elegant curtains and roman blinds, wrought iron fireplaces. Open fire in the delightful lounge with its collection of antique chairs, TV, CD and DVD player. Front door leads to the pretty cottage garden with its sunken feature patio area, bar-b-que, fruit trees. The delightful kitchen/diner has a feature fireplace with a range oven fitted in, granite worktops, fridge freezer, dish washer, micro wave, washing machine, original floorboards. Oriental double bedroom has a bedstead, Yellow bedroom has 2 single beds. Both with stunning views of the garden. There is a luxury family bathroom with bath, shower, washstand and high level wc. Carpeted throughout. Gas central heating. All utility bills included. Linen and towels provided. Not suitable for wheelchair users. Parking for 1 small car.
Wi fi is available through BT on a pay as you go account.
Top Traveller Review
Charming and well appointed cottage
About the Owner
My Husband and I brought this character cottage in a very run down state because we wanted a project and a holiday home. By husband is a designer of glass buildings, famous for his renovations of listed buildings, including Bucking Palace, also a very fastidious diy person. Myself I am an elite sports coach and was a Games Maker at the London Olympics 2012. An enthusiastic gardener and decorator. When we started the restoration we found many original features, wrought iron fireplaces in every room, even the bathroom. It took us 2 years to complete the renovation and decoration with a modern Victorian theme. The garden was completely overgrown and after years of digging and planting we are now very pleased to share our pretty cottage garden and home with you.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Anita and Robin London - Yet another wonderful holiday in your charming well equipped cottage. Kids loved the zoo and wild life park. Enjoyed the swings on the beach at Broadstairs. We enjoyed the local 12th century pub with its court room.
Ursula Keiler, Germany - We enjoyed our stay in your superb cottage very much. We had a great time and did a lot of interesting things but also had enough time to relax.
Douglas and Louise Hines - France. Such a pretty cottage, superbly decorated and equipped. Your welcome was wonderful and the girls loved their bedroom with the big cot. Great base for visiting all the many historic sites, the zoo, wildlife park, beaches and castles.
Emily + 3 - USA. What you would imagine a Victorian Cottage to be, it has the wow factor. Very interesting area to visit.
2 holidaymaker reviews
Charming and well appointed cottage
This cottage is as pretty, and practical, as advertised. We found it a relaxing place to stay. Everything we needed for self-catering purposes was provided in the well appointed kitchen. We would recommend this cottage to our friends and would happily stay there again.
cosy cottage in lovely village location
Warm pretty cottage in central village location. The house is well positioned for walking to village shops pubs. Very well located for both Canterbury and driving to the beach.
We had a very comfortable family stay with our toddler.
This cottage may not be suited to families with a more nosey toddler, as plenty of pretty breakable item on display.
From the Owner
“We wanted a holiday home in an area we did not know so that we had lots to explore. Also Kent has easy access from motorways, ferrys and airports. There are plenty of attractions in this wonderful county. We fell in love with Wingham village with its 12th century pubs, shops, restaurants. We spend many weekends visiting nearby Dover, Walmer and Deal Castles, Canterbury city with its great Cathedral and Sandwich medieval town with its Roman Fort. Margate, Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Deal, for the sea and sand are all close. Many picture post card villages are in the area, all with true english pubs selling gourmet food and local beer. Music and beer festivals abound in the summer months. Surrounding Wingham are golf clubs, cycling routes, walking, fishing, childrens zoos and playgrounds.”
Activity and Interests
Wingham has The Anchor Pub which has folky/blues music most evenings and also serves good pub food. There are farm shops, winery and Wingham Wild Life Park. There are many pubs in the pretty local villages. Canterbury City with its ancient Cathedral and other old churches, monastery and city walls is 3 miles with easy parking or bus travel from Wingham. There are cinemas, many music venues and the Marlowe Theatre.
5 miles to Sandwich Cinque port with medieval town and Roman Fort. Kent Coast has been voted one of the world's top 10 destinations for 2015. 10 miles to beaches at Viking Bay and Joss Bay with its surfing at Broadstairs. Broadstairs also has the Charles Dickens and Folk Festival. Margate with its wonderful sands, new Turner Art Gallery and quaint old town. Beaches at Walmer, Deal and Dover plus their castles and many English Heritage and National Trusts Houses and Gardens within close proximity. Westwood Cross shopping area with all the top shops, cinema and casino. Howletts prize winning zoo is 2 miles.
Nearest airport is Manston 10 miles which does serve some European cities. Gatwick, Shoreham, London Heathrow. Ferries - Driving distance from Dover is 10 miles Ramsgate 10 miles. Nearest rail link is from Canterbury to Aylesham 2 miles from Wingham. Fast rail link from St. Pancras to Ebbsfleet, Ashford, Canterbury, Sandwich, Broadstairs Ramsgate, Dover. Then buses to Wingham. Buses from Wingham to all the coastal resorts. Taxi service in village
Cornerways is in the centre of Wingham village. Canterbury city with its Cathedral, museums, quirky independent shops, cinemas, theatres is 3 miles. Sandwich medieval town also with quirky shops and worthy eateries is 5 miles. Dover Castle is 10 miles, Walmer and Deal Castles 8 miles. There is Goodestone village and stately home a walk across the fields, Staple vineyard, local villages have many fine pubs to eat in. Broadstairs abounds with music venues. Margate 12 miles has new Turner Gallery
In the village is a general store, bakers, bank, post office, hairdresser, doctor, 3 pubs with restaurants, Indian restaurant, farm shops. There is a cricket club with club house which you can use. Alongside is a childrens playground, football and tennis. Large 12th century church which has events during the year. Built in the growing fields near Manston is the new shopping venue of Westwood Cross. It has Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, TK Max and many other high street stores and you can park outside for free. There are large Sainsburys and Tesco Supermarkets. The Casino and View Cinemas are also in the same complex. Manston aircraft museum is a wonderful visit and Margate old town is a must, with the new Turner Art Gallery with many changing exhibitions.
Wingham has a wild life park and Howletts Zoo is 2 miles away in Littlebourne.
There is a trout fishery in Ash. Richborough Roman fort ruins in Sandwich, which is a 16th century medieval town, see photo gallery.
Canterbury City with the ancient cathedral, St. Augustins Monastry and interesting shopping streets are a must visit. In the area surrounding Wingham there are many historic biblical monuments and churches.
The North Downs Ways goes in the fields behind the cottage. Many cycle routes abound, Cycle Route 1, Viking Coastal Trail. Fowlmead Country Park with its cycle rides and mountain bike and cycle cross competition routes.
Many English Heritage prorperties are close by, Dover, Deal and Walmer Castles are all within 10 miles. Well worth a day out. The Viking Ship at Pegwell Bay, The World War II Plane Museum is at Manston Airport. Many National Trust and private houses are in the area. Broadstairs has the Charles Dickens Museum, as well as the famous Viking Bay sands.
Golf courses abound, from pay as you go at Pegwell Bay 4 miles to Princes at Sandwich. Aprroximately 20 in the area, all welcome guests.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
20 Nov 2016 - 21 Dec 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
22 Dec 2016 - 3 Jan 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£125|
Deposit of 25% of the rental fee is payable if booked 12 weeks ahead. The balance payable 12 weeks before the commencement of the rental. Bookings made less than 12 weeks prior to the commencement of the rental 50% of the total fee is payable. The balance shall be payable 6 weeks before the commencement of the rental. Less than 6 weeks payment to be made in full. A refundable security deposit of £125 is payable when booking.
Saturday 4pm for arrivals. 10am for departure. This is flexible and short stays are welcome price on application to owner
Notes on prices:
Shorts stays welcome, price on application to owner. All utility bills and linen are included in the prices. For a stay longer than one week the housekeeper with clean and change the bedding and towels etc.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“No price increase for 2015. Drive straight off the motorways and go back in time. The cottage is set in an historic square of listed houses in the centre of Wingham village. You can walk to 3 pubs, church, farm shops and explore the countryside, country houses and gardens. Top golf courses at Sandwich and Walmer plus many more. The bus service is very good enabling you to get around the surrounding areas easily. There are many cycle trails including National 1. North Downs way walk is close by. In the winter the open fire in the lounge is wonderfully cosy, in the summer the pretty cottage garden is a blaze of colour, with a sunken patio area, barbecue, fruit trees. Storage for cycles and also you can visit London by fast train from Cantebury, Dover and Ashford.”
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- golf pass optional
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- bay fishing
- 120 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Luxury white tiled family bathroom. New modern basin on a Victorian washstand, high level wc, bath, electric shower over and shaver point, sash window, blind and black wrought iron fireplace, tall towel rail radiator. Original artwork.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Double bedroom with bedstead. second 2 single beds Notes on bedrooms: Oriental bedroom double bedstead, desk, wardrobe, chest of drawers,sash window with Roman blind, black wrought iron fireplace. Yellow bedroom 2 single beds, wardrobe, chest of drawers, sash window with Roman blind, black wrought iron fireplace. Radiators.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The lounge can sit 6 people. The dining area can sit 6 people. A cot can be provided in the main bedroom. The house is approached in The Square from the back door and it is a surprise when going in how big it is. The front door is now not used as the main door and from the back garden side you can see that it is a double fronted house which was approached from open land in the past. There is a secluded pretty garden with lawn,surrounded by trees, has a sunken patio area, which gives it a country feel. Parking for 1 small car in the square. Outside: Pretty cottage garden with lawn leading to sunken garden with patio. Table and 6 chairs. Bar-be-que. Fruit Trees, Washing line. Smoking area with garden bench. Bikes can be stored in the garden. l minute walk into the village with its 12th century Ergon Renay star restaurant, pubs, shops, bank, dentist, doctor, church, post office, bakers and farm shops. Tennis and Cricket club, football pitches and children's playground. Buses from Wingham will take you to Canterbury 3 miles with its Cathedral, shops, music venues, theatres, restaurants, river. Sandwich medieval town with its river and port. There are many golf courses within the vicinity, plus cycling, National Cycle Route 1, Viking Coastal Trail, Fowlmead mountain bike park. Walking on the North Downs Way and many other public paths. Visit Dover, Walmer and Deal castles, top rated zoos. Margate,with its new Turner Art Gallery and many festivals, beaches at Ramsgate, Deal, Broadstairs being voted in the top 20 in the world. Utility Room: Drying area in under stairs cupboard and airing cupboard in boiler cupboard in kitchen. Washing line in garden. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are provided. For stays longer than a week the housekeeper will visit, change the linen and clean the house. If necessary tidy the garden. Other: Easy staircase from a door in the lounge complete with cloaks shelf, continues with the original pictures theme. Up the staircase to the landing at the top where there is a very old commode and gilt mirror, doors to bedrooms and bathroom.