5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, sleeps up to 15. Peaceful neighbourhood close to Djemaa el Fna. View of Atlas peaks.
Maison Africa is a beautiful and cosy riad located in the very heart of the impressive Marrakech medina only 5 minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna square. Serene, romantic, chic and stylish, Maison Africa has a tranquil courtyard and five comfortable en-suite bedrooms; a lounge/salon (a possible sixth bedroom); a sun terrace with amazing views of the city; a heated plunge pool, a small kitchenette, and a fun and attentive team to take care of you! And of course there is free WiFi throughout. Available to rent exclusively or by the room, Maison Africa sleeps up to 15 guests in a mix of twin/double and triple en suite bedrooms and two adjoining family rooms. Guests can normally also use the extensive facilities of neighbouring Riad Africa – which is connected by an internal doorway from the courtyard. Maison Africa was built approximately 350 years ago by a Marrakchi merchant who rented the riad to traders from Mali in sub-Saharan Africa. The house was used as a place for retreat and recuperation at the end of arduous journeys by camel across the Great Sand Sea of the Sahara. More recently the riad was the home of a local Berber family from the Taroudant region. In late 2013 the riad was totally renovated and re-decorated in a traditional Moroccan style and is now adorned with mud cloths from Djenne, a town on the banks of the Niger River in Mali. Comfortable beds, luxuriant blankets and high thread count bed linens make bedtime one of the best parts of your stay in Maison Africa. Enjoy restful nights after active days exploring the ancient Medina of the city. All rooms are furnished to a high standard with beautiful hand-carved furniture, each dark wood piece adorned with silver leaf. All are equipped with a/c, heating, safe, iPod dock, tea/coffee station, satellite TV, bath robes and hair dryer. At the very top of the house is a sunny roof terrace where you can choose to relax in an open caidal tent, sunbathe or enjoy beautiful Marrakech sunsets and views across to the minarets of Koutoubia and Kasbah mosques, nesting storks and High Atlas mountains.
Here's some great reasons to choose Maison Africa: 1. Safe, accessible central location. 2. Welcoming, smiling and helpful staff. 3. Great value for money room rates. 4. British-owned, European standards. 5. Comprehensive room facilities. 6. Delicious home-cooked meals. 7. Heated plunge pool - great for kids! 8. Discounted day trips and activities. 9. Adjoining family rooms available. 10. Extra beds possible in most rooms. 11. Beautiful panoramic sun terrace.
About the Owner
Born into a family hotel business, I'm originally from East Yorkshire and have spent my life working in the travel and hospitality business - as an adventure tour guide in Africa and Asia, a rental property owner, tour operator and hotelier. I've been lucky enough to travel all over the world but now choose to spend much of my time in Marrakech and the Atlas Mountains.
Guestbook comments from the manager
"Who'd have thought you could have a really relaxing holiday in Marrakech! Riad Arabia is right in the middle of the bustle of the mediaeval medina, but step inside, close the doors behind you and the serenity of this beautiful private home enfolds and embraces you. A truly fantastic break. The food is superb. It deserves its reputation for being one of the three great cuisines of the world. Laila has helped us find out just how good it is.” Mara, Australian Journalist.
“Riad Arabia is an oasis of peace right in the middle of the vibrant Medina. Its luxurious character and oriental charm remind you of the tales of a 1001 nights. After a stroll through the souks or a visit to the ancient Koran school, the Medersa, you can enjoy a siesta on the sunny roof terrace with a view of the Atlas mountains. Housekeeper Halima makes you feel at home and introduces you to the wonders of Moroccan cuisine.” Iris, Belgian Interpreter.
From the Owner
“This beautiful little riad is so well located in the heart of the medina, only 5 mins from Djemaa el Fna, yet in a safe and really peaceful area. Taxis, parking and shops are only 3 mins walk from Riad Arabia. The house has a fascinating history, and has been just renovated to ensure a high quality of rooms and facilities for our guests.”
Activity and Interests
Airlines flying to Marrakech include BA, Easyjet, Ryanair, Thomson and Royal Air Maroc. Book several months in advance for very cheap deals with low-cost carriers.
Maison Africa is located in a very safe and peaceful residential neighbourhood in the Riad Zitoun Lakdim area of the ancient medina of Marrakech. Offering easy access (just a 2 minute walk from the taxi stand and bank) it takes just 5 minutes to walk the 400 metres to the bustling Djemaa el Fna along the easy to navigate Riad Zitoun Lakdim street.
With palaces and palm groves, rose gardens, and a backdrop of the snow-capped peaks of the High Atlas mountains Marrakech is the capital of the Moroccan South, a cultural crossroads and keeper of tradition and folklore. The ancient pink-walled medina contains a wealth of rich architectural heritage, and the real highlight - Place Djemaa el Fna - is like no other square in the world!
Marrakech is a city for discerning travellers with a keen interest in culture and a couple of days is simply not enough to fully discover the wealth of attractions this city offers. The minaret of Koutoubia Mosque is the landmark and emblem of the city.
If you are considering a week's holiday or longer, you could consider combining Marrakech with a few nights in the High Atlas Mountains at Kasbah Africa (a stunning nature lodge with large family rooms).
Morocco's Atlantic Coast is little more than a 2 1/2 hour drive away. Choose from the popular Portuguese-influenced town of Essaouira (180 km), Safi (160 km) or El Jadida (190 km). There are a number of fine sandy beaches along the coast close to each of the main centres mentioned above.
A number of day trips are possible from Marrakech for travellers just spending a few days in the city. Popular options include 'A Day With The Berbers' in the Azzaden Valley. Visit www.marrakechtours.co.uk for a full choice of day trip options.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 10 guests; add £10 per night, per additional guest|
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Stay tax||£2 per night, per person. This amount will be due to the manager upon arrival. Does not apply to children under 10 years.|
Airport transfer £15.00 each way (1-6 people), £30.00 (7-12 people). Dinner £15.00.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“A cosy, compact, excellent value for money riad which can sleep up to 15 people in 5 triple rooms, with private roof terrace, kitchenette, heated plunge pool and rooftop tent.”
- Air Conditioning ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Television ...
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- city centre
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- water parks
- outlet shopping
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- 240 m²
- Aldabra - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Berenty - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Etosha - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Nakuru - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Selous - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Ruaha - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Maison Africa's en-suite shower rooms are decorated in traditional style with silver mirrors, atmospheric local wall lights and hand-crafted inset pewter wash-basins and showers.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15
- Etosha - 2 Single Bed, 2 singles can combine to make king size double
- Nakuru - 3 Single Bed, 2 singles can combine to make king size double
- Selous - 3 Single Bed, 2 singles can combine to make king size double
- Ruaha - 4 Single Bed, 2 singles can combine to make king size double
- Berenty - 3 Single Bed, 2 singles can combine to make king size double
- 5 en-suite bedrooms comprising two top floor adjoining family rooms plus 3 double or twin bedrooms (each room can take an extra bed). All bedrooms are equipped with air-conditioning and heating, have shower rooms, Wi-Fi & satellite TV. Rooms are decorated in traditional style with warm tadelakt colours, African fabrics and hand-made painted cedar wood furniture. All rooms have tea/coffee stations, radio/alarms, mineral water on arrival day, bathrobes, electronic safes, hair dryers and 'Le Sens de Marrakech' toiletries. There is a sixth bedroom, Aldabra which has a separate shower room. This can be used a single but is normally converted into a small salon/living room.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Included in Price
- Booking Possible
- Booking Possible
- Catering available
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Perfect for a small group of friends and ideal as a private home for families, Maison Africa can be rented on an exclusive basis, hiring the entire property over your choice of duration. Our experienced house manager speaks fluent English and is available locally to provide information and assist with booking local activities. We have a private Moroccan cook available to prepare tasty traditional 3-course evening meals in-house including tajines, couscous or mixed grills. A travel cot and high chair are available on request. The tranquil courtyard features a heated plunge pool. At the very top of the house is a roof terrace where guests can relax, sunbathe or enjoy the beautiful Marrakech sunsets across the rooftops and distant views of the High Atlas. The courtyard is an ideal place for a typical Moroccan breakfast of freshly squeezed juice, tea/coffee, omelette, pancakes or croissants. Washing machine, iron and ironing board are available. Laundry can be arranged for additional cost at neighbouring Riad Africa. Towels and bed linen are included and are changed mid-stay during weekly rentals. The house is cleaned on a daily basis, each morning, by our housekeeper who also prepares breakfast each day