Villa near Ostuni, Brindisi, Puglia, Italy - Hillside Site With Stunning Views Across The Valley To The Ridge Of Hills Beyond
Casa Calandra's accommodation is arranged on 2 levels: the upper entrance level comprises a light and spacious living/dining/area with sliding/folding doors and french windows on 2 sides allowing the space to be opened up to views from balcony and sun shaded terrace and alfresco dining . A suite of 2 bedrooms and shower room open off the entrance through a stone archway. Stairs lead down to the lower level with 2 further double bedrooms each with its own spacious en-suite fully tiled bath or shower room. French windows from the bedrooms open directly onto a lower terrace and to a 10 x 4 metre swimming pool. Casa Calandra has been stylishly furnished and fully equipped to a high standard. Care has been taken to integrate planting near the the villa sensitively with the existing ancient features of the site. Space heating for cooler evenings is by wood burning stove; water heating by solar panels automatically supplimented by gas boiler to suit demand and to heat radiators in winter.
About the Owner
I've spent much of my career as an architect working on large public projects, so when I retired I relished the opportunity to design a house in Puglia for our family to enjoy throughout the year notwithstanding that we would also be making it available for holiday lets. The process not surprisingly has taken a lot longer than expected with new professional challenges exciting to confront and resolve. I'm relieved to say everyone is delighted that it all worked out well in the end. Liz and I have both greatly enjoyed not only furnishing Casa Calandra in a way we hope everyone will enjoy but also planting the new terraces with our favorite Mediterranean species which we look forward to nurturing over the coming years.
Guestbook comments from the owner
The villa lived up to our expectation and we could have asked for nothing more. Everything was great from the pool to the bedrooms to all the utensils in the kitchen, the living space and views, the list goes on. Iki A. London
Top marks for the villa design and beautiful pool. We had a lovely time and particularly enjoyed the area.' Katie S. Stafford.
We had a wonderful time at Casa Calandra. The villa was great. I don't think the photos on the website did it justice! Gemma and Tony, London
From the Owner
“We were delighted to buy a stunning hillside site in Puglia in 2005 but a little unprepared for the complexities of Italian planning and building processes which resulted in much delayed completion of Casa Calandra. This time lag proved to be doubly stressful as our daughter announced her inspiration to get married in Puglia where our new villa would be the venue for the reception. So it was with huge relief that we were able to complete building work by the skin of our teeth days before the ceremony at Ostuni town hall at the end of June in 2010. Since then we have been delighted to welcome visitors to our new house knowing that they will enjoy Puglia's wonderful hospitality, great food and wine as much as we do.”
Activity and Interests
The villa is about 8km (5 miles) from the Adriatic coast and its many beaches with full facilities and safe bathing for families. Most are free, others are lido type with shaded parking with a small daily charge. Further south at the base of the heel the coast is more rugged and cove-like.
Casa Calandra is 40 minutes drive from Brindisi Airport and 75 minutes from Bari. Direct fights are from London Stansted to Brindisi and Bari or from London Gatwick to Bari and from April 2015 also to Brindisi. Other airports serve both but usually with a stopover at Rome or Milan.
The nearest village, Casalini, only 4km away has good supermarkets and restaurants and a PO with an ATM.
Also only 4km in the opposite direction lies Ostuni, 'La Citta Bianca', a delightful old town with its 'centro storico' perched on a hill; its picturesque cobbled alleyways full of alfresco summer dining and high quality shops. The other nearby town is Cisternino with Martina Franca and Celie Messapica slightly further away. All have lovely historic centres and high quality restaurants.
Apart from its delight and charm of its 'Centro Storico', the closeness of Ostuni is also hugely convenient being the largest commercial centre for the area where its possible to find everything you may need during your stay including high quality clothes and other shops. The area around the central gardens has many banks with ATM machines as well as bars and cafes and is the best area for inexpensive parking in the centre of town. (52 cents/hour).
As all shops close for several hours in the middle of the day of huge value to locals and visitors alike is the fairly recent opening of 'Cityper' - a high quality supermarket which is open all day until 9.00 at night and until 2.00 on Sundays! This is particularly useful for visitors to Casa Calandra as it is very close to the edge of our side of town and the road to Cisternino. But don't forget to frequent the local small shops and deli's which otherwise hide their appeal behind shutters half the day or you will miss out on experiencing much of the genuinely friendly good service and charm of the people.
There is a large market close to the 'Cityper' supermarket held on Saturday mornings with a huge choice of local produce available as well and clothing etc.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
2 Oct 2016 - 24 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A deposit of 25 % is payable at the time of booking, returnable on a sliding scale to zero. The balance is due no later than 6 weeks before arrival.
A refundable deposit against damage etc of £300 is payable on arrival and returned following satisfactory inspection within 14 days of departure.
Usually Saturday but other days, particularly out of high season, subject to negotiation.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“In designing our new villa I was very concerned that it should sit happily into the puglian landscape without resorting to a traditional appearance or building a collection of trulli as, although these are charming and their unique appearance adds so much to the region's character and attraction they can in practice be quite dark and tend to create small individual rooms. We wanted a light, airy and spacious house which would take advantage of the superb views from our hilltop site. Casa Calandra therefore has been designed and built using mainly local traditional skills and materials such as stone, plaster and tiling for which Italians are renowned which together with high quality furniture and fittings we believe creates a stylish modern house to enjoy all the year round.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- near the sea
- recreation centre
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- pier fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bed 1 has spacious en-suite with bath, wet room shower area, vanity basin, WC, bidet and underfloor heating. Bed 2 en-suite similar but with no bath. Bed 3 and 4 share a wet room shower with WC and basin. All windows have mosquito screens.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8/10 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedrooms 1 & 2: both have king size double beds and spacious walk-in wardrobes. Direct access to lower terrace and pool. Bedroom 3: twin beds or as a double. Built-in wardrobe. Bedroom 4: bunk beds. Built-in wardrobe All windows have mosquito screens
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Casa Calandra's accommodation is very flexible and will ideally suit for example 2 families with up to four children plus toddler, 3 generations of one family, or a groups of 8 -10. A cot and high chair are available. A double sofa bed is located in the lower lobby area which can accommodate an additional couple. A car or cars is recommended to gain most from your stay. Access to the villa is via a charming narrow track about 250 metres long which is possible for people carriers to negotiate albeit with care but a car no bigger than necessary to fit in the luggage from the airport is recommended.Two smaller cars can be more convenient and flexible for larger parties. A wood burning stove provides a cosy and efficient heat source for cool evenings. Water heating is by roof mounted solar panels automatically supplimented by a gas boiler as necessary which also heats radiators in winter. Outside: The villa is located in its own totally private grounds with a gated entrance. The upper level has a sun shaded terrace and pergola balcony on 2 sides of the living room allowing escape from, or enjoyment of, the sun at different times of the day and where table and chairs for alfresco dining and a barbecue are provided. External steps lead down to the terraced areas immediately adjacent to the house and pool have been planted to provide colour, interest and contrast to the old olive and fruit trees in their wilder setting amongst the ancient dry stone walls and the linking stone steps. New stone walls and steps integrate these new terraces sensitively with the existing landscape. The 10 x 4 metre swimming pool and its surrounding paved and planted terraces has been located to maximize the evening sun and has a stepped shallow end for easy access for all ages. An external shower is provided together with sun loungers. There is ample space for parking several cars. Utility Room: A separate utility room is located on the lower floor with washing machine, sink and ironing facilities and hanging rack. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The villa is cleaned and bed linen and towels, including pool towels are changed weekly. The pool is maintained and cleaned twice in high season A welcome pack of essentials is provided.