Villa Monziani. Vicolo San Demetrio, n°2. Isola San Giulio. 28016 (NOVARA) ITALY. - Offers All Comforts In Romantic And Peaceful Surroundings.
A very magic atmosphere surrounds this island. The green hills of the pre-alpine lake and the small villages dotted on its shore give a feeling of tranquillity. Orta's very attractive 18th century houses, make a colourful backdrop to its square, which is like a parlour with cafés, benches under shady trees, arches hiding shops and the full view of the fascinating island of San Giulio. A stunning view of the lake, of the town of Pella and of the Madonna del Sasso Church can be had from the Sacro Monte Franciscan Church above Orta. It is fascinating to stroll in Orta's narrow, cobbled streets and admire the Baroque houses that line them.To reach the island (a mere 400m) guests can use our boat, with or without engine, or the public taxi boats. They can park in our garage on the mainland. We meet our guests in Orta in the main square in front of the docks, show them the location of the garage nearby, take them across to the island in our boat, show them the house, answer any questions and leave. We return the day of their departure.
Top Traveller Review
A haven at the lago
About the Owner
Villa Monziani is owned by Ludovica Barrow, a retired translator. The house was once owned by Ludovica's great-great grandfather and is one of the oldest on the island. The villa has been completely refurbished and modernised, respecting its antique character. We care and cherish it and hope our guests will enjoy it and appreciate its uniqueness..
4.9 based on 7 holidaymaker reviews
A haven at the lago
The villa at the tiny isola san giulio was everything we hoped for and more! The house itself was wonderfully cool in the summer heat, and so much bigger and nicer than it looks on the photos. The garden is small, but very convenient. 8 people had plenty of room to find their preferred place in the sun or shade, and being almost in the lake, the air had a wonderful freshness. We could have wished for a slightly larger boat to accomodate all 8, but apart from that everything was just perfect. We would definitely recommend this property.
A lovely and tranquil place
Everything was perfect from the moment we arrived through to our departure. A member of the family welcomes you in the town by the place where boats can tie up. Warning - the roads leading to the square where you meet are very narrow and full of tourists but we squeezed through. Once you have unloaded by the boats you can park the cars off in the main car-parking area - one inside and one outside. The boat that comes with the house was a great advantage and with plenty of places to moor when in Orta or visiting any other villages on the lake made it really useful for popping out for an ice cream (Pella -go to the old tower and you'll find it's a café serving lovely ice cream) or supermarket shopping (Pettenasco where there is a Conad about 10 minutes walk from a good mooring). The house is lovely and the family will explain everything and take you round. then you can relax with some lovely wine, cheese and meats that are prepared for your welcome. Lots of space and very well equipped and well stocked (food items, books, swimming flippers etc). There was everything we needed and it was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The garden was a very restful place with a shady place to eat (only really space for 6 at the table) and lots of sun or shade as needed. While we were there, the relatives who have the independent apartment at the top of the house were there but they kept themselves to themselves. Just don't be surprised when you meet a complete stranger on the stairs or they appear in the garden. We didn't plan to do much on this holiday so we don't have much to recommend. We enjoyed shopping, cooking, reading and swimming. We will very much look forward to staying in the house again in the future.
We had a wonderful few days on lake Orta in this charming house. Access is by little motor boat which comes with the house. We read books, swum in the lake, went for little excursions around the lake by boat & ate well. There is always somebody/boat/water skier or even fast driving nun (yes truly!) to watch from the comfort of your deck chair in the garden. You feel very special staying on this wonderful island rather than just visiting. The other highlight was the reflection of the town in the Lake as the afternoon sun went down - mesmerising. Take lots of books and your swimming costume and you never need to move other than the daily charming visit to the mainland to get provisions. We will be back!
There are other people that occupy the small top flat at times but although they have access to the lake through the side of the garden, they do not share it and have their own balcony.
Lovely island holiday
We love the island of Isola San Gulio and in particular this lovely house. The owner too has has become a cherished friend following our 3 holidays there. She will meet you on arrival in Orta and accompany you over the lake in their boat to the house! The house is elegantly furnished, spacious and the views are unforgettable. It has immense charm and is definitely a place for total relaxation and restoration. We will return again undoubtedly.
A haven on the Isola San Gulio, Lake Orta
We have returned to this holiday destination many times. It is so beautiful and perfect that once you have holidayed there it is difficult to ever find anywhere as lovely. The small island is reached by your own rowing boat with outboard motor (or for the less adventurous the frequent water busses) and you tie the boat up in your private boat house and step ashore. What could be a more romantic way to arrive? Thereafter things keep as wonderful...the accommodation is very beautiful - a large living room on the first floor has a verandah running its length and large windows looking out onto the lake. The master bedroom is just off the living room and both have exquisite antique furniture and paintings. There are also 2 other bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. From the ground floor kitchen and hallway you step out onto your own private garden right on the lake where you can eat under the vines, sunbathe and swim. There is a restaurant on the island, or it is a five minute boat trip back to the town of Orta with a many restaurants to choose from, with Restaurant Vesuvius right on the lake front. Several evenings we take off and explore other hamlets and restaurants around the lake by boat, and enjoy the wonderful home made ice cream on the further shore. The Barrow family settle their guests in and then leave you to enjoy the peace and beauty of this very, very special place on your own. There is nowhere I would rather spend my holidays.
What a magical place. We spent two weeks in this wonderful house and felt so special. The trips on the boat back and forth from the island with bread and a bottle of wine completed the special atmosphere. We could swim in the lake and sit on the terrace for breakfast looking out onto the lake and the hills.
The rooms and furnishings in the house made everything perfect for a romantic holiday on one of the most beautiful lakes in Italy.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
There is a market in Orta every Wednesday. An English poetry festival takes place in Orta in September and a festival of classical music in June and September on the island at Villa Tallone. Fireworks in August are famous in Omegna, at the northern end of the lake.
The lake is 14km long and 2.5km wide. In general the lake is calm, with a light evening breeze. A sandy beach with amenities can be found at the southern end of the lake at Gozzano, and there are several other beaches as well as picnic areas dotted around the lake shore. The lake can easily be explored with our boat, might we suggest you organise a picnic. Otherwise a large boat does the tour of the lake stopping at small villages, an ideal way of spending the day.
Malpensa is the closest airport to Orta (46km, 50m drive on the A26 motorway, exit at Arona then take state road SP229). One can hire a car at Malpensa or take a taxi to Orta. We supply a garage in Orta. The road network in the area is good. One can also arrive by train, Orta has a train station at Orta Miasino which distances 1km and by bus via Borgomanero, Omegna and Arona. The bus also goes to Stresa on Lake Maggiore. There are taxi drivers in Orta.
Milan is 85km, a 90m drive, Turin, with its famous Egyptian museum, 127 km, 1.5 hours, Genoa (Ligurian coastline) 195km, 2.5 hours, Chamonix (France) is 220km, 2.5 hours. One needs a car if one wants to visit the surrounding area like the other lakes or further. You can quickly travel over the hills to Arona on Lake Maggiore, follow its shore to Stresa, visit the 3 enchanting Borromeo islands in a day. There are other lakes: Lugano, Varese, Mergozzo and in particular Como, 92km, a 75m drive.
There are no shops on the island, just a restaurant/bar and a souvenir shop, but Orta offers a large variety of food shops, restaurants of all levels, pizzerias, wine tasting bars and various fashion shops. There are two banks, a post office and internet points. Mobile phone reception on the island is good. There is a grocery store in the main square where you can order food for next day delivery if they don't already stock it. For large supermarket facilities one has to drive 15 minutes to Gozzano (southern end of lake, 8.5km away).
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Apr 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £44 per night, per additional guest|
1 Nov 2016 - 21 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add £44 per night, per additional guest|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £44 per night, per additional guest|
Additional pricing information
A 50% deposit will secure your booking. You will be supplied a bank account number with our confirmation. The balance is to be paid 60 days before arrival. If your email is not answered within 2 days please contact me on my mobile: +39 348 2575018 or +39 3482575010 (my son Andrew). My email is: email@example.com Andrew's: firstname.lastname@example.org
We meet guests at Orta in the main piazza*, unload baggage by the docks and then park your car in the garage, then take them and their luggage across to the island in our boat, show them the house and leave. *Accessing the main piazza requires a special permit and can be accessed only on the day of guests arrival and departure. For the permit we require car make, model & licence plate - hired cars will have details taken on arrival. Guests must arrive between 3pm and 7pm, this is because in case of bad weather the taxi boats stop running after 7pm. This has never been necessary, but guarantees guest access to the island in the eventuality.
We return the day of their departure and meet them in the piazza to say good bye and receive garage badge & key (+eventual extra parking permit). Guests kindly depart by 11am. Earlier departures have to be coordinated and drop off point in the piazza arranged according to the time required.
Notes on prices:
Prices for the property are per week, for a minimum of 1 bedroom (2 people) during the off-season and for 2 bedrooms (4 people) during the Summer months. They include use of private motorboat ("canadian" 8HP outboard engine - no license required), tank of petrol supplied, private boathouse next to island villa, mainland locked garage with badge entrance, residents outdoor parking permit for eventual second car. Extra fee: €70.00 for cleaning. Eventual extra nights have a 5% discount. We do not rent rooms separately. Please inquire for further details.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“A unique location, voted one of the most characteristic in Italy.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Garage ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Dining Area
- Events Allowed
- children welcome
- pets considered
- smoking allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- water skiing
- 200 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Jacuzzi, Bidet
- All bathrooms have a shower, washbasin, cupboards and toilet paper provided. All have vents & heaters. Fresh towels and ecological soap provided. Please do not put any rubbish in the WC, please use bins provided.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, French windows look onto lake, balcony with access to garden
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed, En-suite bathroom, space for eventual extra beds (max 2)
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Large Double Bed, En-suite bathroom, small lounge underneath loft bedroom
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Small balcony overlooking lake with a fantastic view
- All rooms have ample space for storage with wardrobes, chest of drawers, bedside tables & designer illumination. Most have writing desks. The mattresses and cushions are new and of good quality. Fresh linen is provided.
- Boat ...
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house dates back from 1637. We refurbished in 2000 in full respect of its style. At water level, with full view of the lake and the hills, there is the garden, 1/3 in the shade of the bower and 2/3 in the sun, and the boathouse. Kitchen and ground floor lounge have access to the garden. The 1st floor balcony stretches the length of the house and both master bedroom and large lounge open their windows onto the garden also. There is a gate in the garden wall that leads directly to the water. One can dive from it or walk into the lake from the boat house. The kitchen is large enough to eat in but it is very pleasant to take one's meals under the bower. A small apartment on the top floor belongs to my cousins. They are completely independent. They use the back entrance and the central staircase to get to their flat. Like us this is their second house. They are very nice people and do not intrude. The back entrance leads to the circular footpath around the island and to the public docks Outside: The manicured garden stretches the width of the house. It has two stone tables, one in the shade and one in the sun. There are garden chairs and deck chairs. Cushions and table cloths are provided and a portable BBQ. Palm trees, a fig tree, a vine over the bower, an oleander and many other small plants together with many flowers make the garden restful and colourful. You can sunbathe undisturbed. The view stretches from the shore and the hills in front of the island to the pre-Alps in the North and to the South of the lake. The water is very clean and one can swim, windsurf, sail, row, waterski and fish. Playing golf and horse riding can also be done in the vicinity. The boat docks in our boathouse (there is a winch to help pull it out of the water) and at the public wooden piers in Orta. The public piers are on the right looking at Orta. Our cousins can share one third of the garden. Utility Room: Positioned on ground floor adjacent to the bathroom1. It contains iron and ironing board, vacuum-cleaner, brooms and mop, buckets, drying rack, garden lamps and cushions for garden chairs. First aid kit. Extra linen is stored here. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Good quantity of linen, towels and swimming towels are supplied. Cushions for chairs, deck chairs & garden furniture. Ponchos and umbrellas are guests' disposal and night lamps to cross the lake if dark. The property is cleaned before each new guest. Other: Adjacent to kitchen is a small lounge with settee, armchair, writing desk. French window leads to garden. An internal wooden staircase connects it to the 1st floor lounge. An external staircase connects garden to balcony and lounge