Beachfront House in Mtwapa Creek, near Mombasa Town, Kenya - Peaceful, Private and set in 6 Acres of Garden with Private Steps Down to a Secluded Beach
Come and enjoy our beautiful home, "Chongalulu" at Mtwapa Creek, Mombasa. The views over the creek are idyllic, and the beach below the house is white sand, and the Indian Ocean is warm and clear. The pool is warm all year round and you can watch the sun go down from our private jetty. It really is our corner of paradise. The garden is lush and tropical, abundant with palms, bougainvillea, and monkeys! It is an ideal location for a big family gathering or for 2 families to share. The staff comprising of a cook, houseman and gardener will look after you royally. Each bedroom is comfortably furnished and has a fan, and mosquito net. All bedrooms face the sea. It is restful and calming and is a wonderful holiday location. It is possible to do most watersports and other fun activities nearby. There are several shops, restaurants, ATMs, a chemist etc and a golf course close by.
About the Owner
My name is Ann Sutcliffe and I live in Kenya. My family moved to Kenya from England when I was a young girl and I have lived here ever since.
I married the son of an early settler, whose parents came to Kenya in the early part of the 20th century and planted a coffee farm on the outskirts of Nairobi. We have 3 children, who were all brought up in Kenya, and 7 grandchildren.
From the Owner
“My family purchased six acres of land, just north of the island of Mombasa, 50 years ago when it was virgin forest, and there were still buffalo on the beach. They built this family holiday house on the south shore of Mtwapa Creek. The views are stunning, and, being situated on a creek, you can look out across the creek or out to sea, affording great privacy. The sandy beach is right in front of the house and is perfect to enjoy the warm Indian Ocean. The house has been extensively modernised over the years and it has been a wonderful holiday home for all of us. It is beautiful, relaxing and peaceful and, like us, I am sure you will never want to leave.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Sorry these are not provided. Safaris to game parks outside Mombasa, or the Masai Mara, can be booked from a nearby hotel.
The beach is down a few steps from the garden. It is a white sandy bay. The creek is tidal and it is perfect at high tide for swimming in and at low tide there are lovely walks along the beach. The sea is warm and mostly calm.
Mombasa International Airport is 45 minutes away and an easy taxi ride. There are several flights into Mombasa per day either from Nairobi or from abroad.
Car hire is recommended but not essential.
There is a big supermarket 5 kms away which provides everything you should need. Hotels and restaurants are abundant and very close. These provide watersports, eating out etc.
The following facilities are not provided but are available nearby: deep sea fishing (barracuda, marlin and sailfish), kite surfing, windsurfing, fishing, diving, snorkelling, water slides, go karting, dhow trips, nature trail, crocodile farm and spa. Further information on all this to be provided once you have booked. There is no television or telephone - you won't be needing them!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A £250 non-refundable deposit per week will secure your booking, the balance remaining will be due 8 weeks prior to your holiday. Payment for your holiday can be made by cheque, debit or credit card through our booking system. We reserve the right to re-advertise dates if the balance has not been received by the due date.
Flights are not included in the price of our villa.
Flexible depending upon other bookings.
Notes on prices:
The price is set at £1500 per week year round. We would ask that you tip the staff at your discretion but would be happy to give you a guide line on the amounts. We ask that the cooking gas cylinder be replaced if necessary during your stay.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The house is conveniently situated for amenities including: restaurants, shops, chemist and ATM. It is a 45 minute easy taxi drive from Mombasa International Airport. There are endless watersports available closeby including deep sea fishing, diving, kite surfing, boat and dhow trips, fabulous snorkelling, etc. Also water slides, go-karting, crocodile park, nature trail, a Serena Spa and a wonderful local authentic floating restaurant. Visits to Mombasa to view the historical old buildings and fort are to be recommended. The beautiful sandy beach is situated in front of the house with easy access. There is a houseman, cook and gardener who have been a long time at the property and are delightful and helpful. The house has a comprehensive pack of local information.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bedroom 1 - en suite, shower and bathroom. Bedroom 2 - ensuite bathroom. Bedroom 3 shower room. Bedroom 4 and 5 share a bathroom with bath and shower. All bathrooms have a wc.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1, upstairs, with 4 poster double bed and own private verandah. Bedroom 2, double bed, and small room off it for a cot or single bed. Bedroom 3, twin with a basin. Bedroom 4 and Bedroom 5 twins. All fitted with fans and mosquito nets.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Built 50 years ago as a family holiday home, it is open, pretty and comfortably furnished and is the ultimate in relaxation. Outside: The property is set in 6 acres of flat, lush tropical gardens with palms, exotic and indigenous trees and plants and bougainvilleas. There are both shady and sunny spots. The pool is in the shape of Africa and is warm year round. There are 3 poolside sunbeds. Birds and monkeys are in abundance and you can often hear bushbabies and fish eagles. The creek is tidal and, at high tide, the secluded beach right infront of the house is gorgeous to swim from. At low tide, there are wonderful walks along the beach. The beach is accessed by steps from the garden. There is always a cooling sea breeze. There is great fishing for children just from the Jetty. Utility Room: Iron and ironing board. Limited washing is done by hand by the staff. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: There is a houseman who cleans daily. Towels and linen provided. Other: Large covered outdoor verandah with 3 huge day beds to relax on and an outdoor dining table overlooking the creek. BBQ.