Farmhouse near Vassy, Conde sur Noireau and Vire, Calvados, Normandy - Peaceful Location, Panoramic Views, 2 Mins To Vassy And Shops, Fantastic For Food/Walking/Chateaux
Our circa 18th century restored farmhouse is in a dream location, just 50 minutes from Caen ferry port, and between Conde sur Noireau and Vire, the old fortress town. The house is situated on an acre of land surrounded by fields and pastures, overlooking the hills of Swiss Normandy. The lounge has large windows and doors overlooking the surrounding gardens. The terrace is an ideal place to relax with the smell of lavender and the birds singing in the spring and summer. In the autumn and winter the lounge is cosy with the wood burning stove. The location is perfect for visiting the many diverse historical and natural sites in Lower Normandy. Although keeping a traditional appearance, the house has wifi and a modern oak fitted kitchen. We also have high chairs and a travel cot for a smaller child.
Top Traveller Review
Our home away from home
About the Owner
We have spent the last ten years turning this old farmhouse into a comfortable home for ourselves and guests to enjoy. Gardening is one of our main pastimes, especially in the summer when we can cultivate our own fruit and vegetables.
In our spare time, we enjoy the local food and wines whilst playing a game of boules in the garden. Calvados is an ideal location for us to visit both historical sites and the many beaches without having to drive too far although, I must say, the French roads are a pleasure to drive on.
Guestbook comments from the owner
4.8 based on 5 holidaymaker reviews
Wonderful French Holiday
Wonderful authentic French holiday house. Tastefully renovated to original features. Living/cooking/dining areas ideal for all meals and relaxing by log burner (if needed). Al fresco dining with table and chairs if needed. We ate out on a few occasions both morning and evening.
Bedrooms furnished beautifully with bed/furniture in keeping with property. En-suite facilities well laid out and modern.
All in all the property was what we had hoped for and slightly more.
Patrick (owner) was so welcoming and friendly and we spent a few afternoons talking over coffee. The gardens were huge and Patrick worked throughout the 2 weeks cutting grass and generally keeping garden in great condition.
Car is definitely needed to get around and location is perfect for access to Caen, Bayeaux, Mont St Michel. We travelled into Paris (3 to 4 hours by car).
Many thanks Patrick for allowing us the stay in your beautiful house.
Our home away from home
We have stayed here for 2 years running and we love it more every time we visit. Our home in France, as our son says. We can't wait for our next visit. Everything you need is right here. And the house is incredible! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!
Perfect family holiday
We had a perfect family holiday in this lovely farmhouse. The property is situated in an ideal location for visiting Mont St Michel, Bayeux and D-day beaches. The owner (Patrick) was really kind and helpful. We enjoyed tasting raspberries and potatoes freshly picked from the garden! It was also great to find all essential kitchen utensils. All the bedrooms were spacious and excellent in quality - our 6-month old daughter loved sleeping in the antique cot, too. Would recommend to anyone and we would certainly love to return!
Fantastic rural retreat
A lovely farmhouse spread over three floors. Our favourite room was the top floor bedroom with amazing views over the surrounding countryside. The property has a large extensive garden with an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables which we were told by the owner to help ourselves. Patrick, the owner is a very kind and helpful man and was on site to help with any queries. We would recommend this property to anybody looking for a quiet relaxing holiday.
A fantastic find through owners direct. Wonderful accommodation in a very quiet rural spot.Owners description was spot on. Having holidayed many times in France, we have found that Normandy is now top of our 'must visit' areas. Vassy is a lovely small town with everything you need, or Conde which is a slightly larger town and only 20 minutes drive.We found the owners to be very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this house to anyone looking to holiday in the Normandy area.
From the Owner
“We fell in love with the house - a ruin at the time - due to its being surrounded by fields and beautiful countryside. The peacefulness and tranquility is a boost for the senses - if you need to de-stress it is the ideal place to relax your pace of life. Listen to the birds and smell the fragrance of the lavender in the summer. There are many places to walk or drive if you are interested in nature. On the edge of la Suisse Normande we have a unique area to explore, with rivers, historic towns and villages.”
Activity and Interests
The nearest beach at Ouistreham can be reached within an hour by car.
The beaches are wide and sandy, the sea clean. Further to the west you will come to the famous beaches of Arromanches, and other D-Day landing beaches. Along the coast to the east is Deauville, well-known for its Film Festival and Honfleur with its picturesque harbour.
The vibrant town of Granville is due west on the coast overlooking the Mont St Michel bay and on a clear day the Channel Islands can be seen.
The nearest channel port is at Ouistreham, where Brittany Ferries dock from Portsmouth. It takes under an hour to reach La Rocque by car from the ferry port.
The nearest train station is at Flers, a twenty minute drive away, where the train for Paris (Montparnasse station) departs, taking about 2 1/2 hours.
There is an airport at Deauville - an hour and a half away.
The nearest village is Vassy, 5kms away where there is an outstanding patisserie/bakery plus a supermarket, butcher, post office, bank, hairdressers etc. Mont St Michel, the second most popular tourist site in France, is an hour and a half by car. Bayeux, with the famous tapestry, is under an hour by car.
Falaise, the birth place of William the Conqueror, is about 45 minutes by car.
The D-day landing beaches, along with the American cemetery and other cemeteries are at 1-1 1/2 hours distant.
The local patisserie is amazing and at only five minutes pleasurable drive through winding country lanes to Vassy, where you can also find the bank, library with tourist information, hairdressers, supermarket, bars, village grocery store and delicatessens. An extra ten minutes will bring you to a larger town, Conde-sur-Noireau, where there are traditional restaurants, coffee shops, museum and art gallery. There is a vibrant market there on a Thursday with plenty of fresh, local produce. On a Friday, there is a larger market in Vire, which is twenty minutes away. During the summer there are many village Fetes, with fireworks, boules competitions, agricultural shows and local food. Most weekends there are car boot sales or antique fairs nearby.
A visit to Lac Dathee, where the Vire Golf Club is situated, is worth it for the fantastic views of the lake and surroundings. You can relax and have a drink on the Club House terrace, admiring the luscious countryside or be energetic and enjoy the driving range.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 2 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
4 Mar 2017 - 2 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
3 Jun 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
We require a 25% non-returnable deposit to secure your booking.
3 weeks before arrival the balance is required.
A returnable security deposit of £200 is required against any damages or unjustifiable breakages or expenses.It will be returned 2 days after departure.
If you wish to book two or more weeks do contact us for a discounted price.
In the case of a last minute request, do not hesitate to consult with us.
We can get you a 10% discount, if you travel to France on Brittany Ferries.
Saturday is the preferred day for changeover, but please do contact us to see if there are other options to suit your needs.
Arrival times should be after 4pm and departure by 10 am to allow us time to make the house ready for guests.
Notes on prices:
The whole house price is inclusive of bed linen, towels, logs for the fire, and electricity for a whole week.
If you wish to stay for multiple weeks please contact us for a special price.
Any queries regarding special requirements do not hesitate to contact us to discuss.
A 25% NON-RETURNABLE DEPOSIT TO SECURE YOUR BOOKING.
THE BALANCE IS REQUIRED THREE WEEKS BEFORE ARRIVAL.
PAYMENT CAN BE BY BANK TRANSFER OR PAYPAL.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Fresh countryside air with space to relax, enjoy time with family and friends, sit and listen to the sounds of birds and bees. Clear nights are amazing for star gazers. No light pollution here!”
- Guest House
- Away From It All
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- roller blading
- 150 m²
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Whirlpool bath.
- Bathroom 4 - Shower Enclosure, New ground floor bathroom.
- Ensuite to 1st floor bedroom has a whirlpool bath with a shower above plus toilet and sink. On the 2nd floor one of the ensuites has a shower, with sink and toilet and the other has a shower and toilet. The ground floor has a toilet, sink and shower cubicle.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 7
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot, There is a travel cot available.
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot, The cot is suitable for children up to 5 years old.
- Bedroom 4/ Breakfast room on ground floor - 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Breakfast room can convert to a ground floor bedroom.
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 7 (3 Bedrooms plus a large cot) Notes on bedrooms: 1st floor Bedroom-antique double bed, bedside table, lamp, dressing table, large mirror, wardrobe, chair, TV, rug. Large window overlooking the grounds. 2nd floor-2nd bedroom-as above; Large windows overlooking the gardens and view to the hills and surrounding countryside. 3rd bedroom-antique double bed, bedside table/lamp dressing table, antique cot, chairs, large mirror, valets. Two large velux windows with views over the grounds and the surrounding countryside.
- Boat ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Relax in the large open plan living area, with a Henry II style grand buffet next to the traditional large chimney breast with the wood burning stove. There is a picturesque mezzanine area overlooking the lounge/diner and modern oak fitted kitchen. Upstairs there are three spacious and attractively furnished bedrooms, each with its own shower or bathroom. The windows of all of the bedrooms overlook the surrounding countryside and gardens. Outside: The garden is a beautiful place to relax. The north terrace has a table and chairs with parasol, and in summer is surrounded by the perfume of lavender. It is a lovely area to enjoy meals al fresco and cook on the barbecue. Make the most of the opportunity to play boules, too. There is also a large grassed area where ball games can be played. Most years, dependant on the time of your visit, there is fruit in the garden and some fresh vegetables which you are free to share plus plentiful herbs for cooking. Utility Room: Washing machine. Clothes airer. Iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen for the three double beds and the cot are provided. The house is cleaned before and after your arrival. Other: All Bedrooms are ensuite. There is also a travel cot if required.