Village House in Uzes, Gard, Languedoc - Truly Peaceful Yet <60min Access To Mountain, River, Sea & 2 Cities
Originally a silk weaver's house. Looks out onto olive grove and hill. Wonderful terrasse, large and airy with super dining table. English books, videos and DVDs. Access to village from rear and and front. Very private (not overlooked and walled stone courtyard). Parking on owner's drive. The village is 10 minutes from the chic town of Uzes, which hosts a huge Saturday market that is probably the best in the region. An hour from the Med at La Grande Motte, 25mins from river swimming, 45 mins from the mountains at St Jean du Gard. Cities: 30 mins from Nimes, 45mins from Avignon and an hour from Montpellier. Airports: 30 minutes from Nimes, 60mins from Montpellier, 80mins from Marseilles. The owners enjoy cooking and entertaining, so the house is well-provided for food preparation, cooking and dining. Golf courses can be found at Uzes and Nimes and near the cities. A set of clubs, bag and trolley is available. Brigitte cleans the house and does the laundry and lives locally.
About the Owner
Julie and I bought Les Muriers in 1988 -it took ten minutes to make the decision! We bought it from Erik Koch, a Danish painter who had gone to the USA in the 50s and returned to work in relative peace and isolation in France.
We have aimed to renovate it while keeping it as original as possible. Money coming in small dollops rather than in a great flow helped to make each renovation decision well.
This is our family holiday home and we have brought our two daughters here more or less every year since the eldest was born in 1989.
Its been a fabulous place for holidays. As the kids grow older, we have discovered new things that we like -like the rambling centre at St Jean du Gard and horse riding in the Garrigues.
Always feel free to call us if you want to talk about the house.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Sally and Paul Simmonds "loved the house -the terasse is so useful, loved the area, loved being here!" and have been twice with their three kids.
David spent two weeks with his two fellow authors writing their third book on innovation. "Thank you so much for enabling us to be creative and serious, which is what we needed. The house was perfect for us, and the terasse gave us the space to cover every surface with flip charts and chapter plans. Sorry about the 48 empty bottles of wine!"
Pierre and Karmila have also been twice with their two girls: "the new rooms in the cave are super. We used everything -had great food, beaches absolutely superb and mountains in the summer were cooling and provided great walks. Thank you!"
From the Owner
“We had liked this area for years, having camped here for several holidays before the kids arrived. We bought the house because it is original -stone, huge wooden beams, and great outdoors areas. The evenings witness the most spectacular sunsets but are also the most calm and peaceful part of the day, with dark evenings full of stars. While the quality of the cuisine is variable (in the area not in the house!), the quality of the food -the raw materials- is fantastic. If you like cooking, then the area provides such variety and originality.”
Activity and Interests
It is an hour to the Mediterannean sea; beaches at La Grade Motte and Le Grau de Roi. Good sea food. Very clean safe beaches.
River swimming is 15 mins away at Dions or 25 min away at Collias in the clean and cool Gardon, where kayaking down to the Pont du Gard is also available.
The municipal pool at Uzes is good and there is a superb municipal pool ay St Jean du Gard in the mountains. The latter is super after a steam train ride from Anduze and picnic at St Jean's steam train station.
The house is about 1017kms from Calais, with a drive time of about 10 hours (assuming motorway driving). Airports are at Nimes (30mins), Montpellier (60mins) and Marseilles (80mins).
A car is essential.
House is in village that process its own olive oil. Sunday market in village for charcuterie and cheeses and local vegetable produce. Supermarkets are 10 to 15 mins away at La Calmette, Montaren and Uzes.
Old papal own of Avignon is 45mins by car; elegant Montpellier is 60mins; the Roman town of Nimes is 30mins and the chic town of Uzes is 10mins. World-class opera in Summer at Orange 60mins.
Pont du Gard is 25 mins away.
The Parc National des Cevennes is north-west for about 45 mins.
Lots of restaurants in the area around Uzes.
Good value in local bars at lunchtime.
For fine dining, we recommend Les Secrets de Celine in Lezan. Need to book.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Payment will be in £pounds and payable at the latest four weeks before you leave. A deposit of 50% will secure your booking.
Saturdays are the preferred changeover day, but call to discuss if this does not suit you.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We have superb sporting activities -swimming, kayaking, running, cycling, golf. Its great not to be too close to the madding summer crowds but good also to have relatively easy access to water (by the river or the Med). Rambling in the Parc des Cevennes is great fun, especially as the people in the rambling centre are such helpful guides. There so many places to visit -grottos, steam train, cities, architecture, bull runs, the Camargue, markets. And its great to come home to a really comfortable, well-equipped house.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Ground floor: large toilet and washroom plus separate shower room. All newly built. First floor: toilet, wash room and cast iron pedestal bath.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 in 5 bedrooms Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: two single beds in converted wine cave ground floor Bedroom 2: 1st floor, double bed Bedroom 3: 2nd floor, two single beds Bedroom 4: very large room, double bed, windows front and back Bedroom 5: sofabed, currently TV room
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: This is a lovely, comfortable family house that has been restored thoughtfully and simply, but it is not delicate and can cope with growing children! Equally, it is super and well-equipped for holidays without children. The walled courtyard offer privacy for sun bathing, lying around in hammocks or playing games. The area is wonderful with lots of things to do (golf, riding, hot air ballooning, kayaking, cycling (we have 3 or 4 bikes you can use), rambling, steam train and so on. There is good access to motorways, airports and beautiful cities. Heritage sites include the Roman triple aqueduct at Pont du Gard, the arenes amphitheatre at Nimes and Orange and the old papal city at Avignon. Uzes is always a tourist magnet with its 18th century duchy, pale stone architecture, restaurants, shops and famous market stuffed with regional products. Outside: Stone courtyard, walled garden (black bamboo, albritzia, palm, cycas, lavender, aloe, rosemary). There is a charcoal burning barbeque available. Old dry vine roots (stacked in the garden) are favourites locally for cooking food over. Outdoor marrocan table and chairs, maroccan day beds under the terasse arch, deck chairs. Utility Room: Washing machine, tumble dryer, iron/board, hoover, cleaning equipment and materials Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and bed linen can be provided at small extra cost of washing and ironing. Cleaning is done before and after occupation and is included in the rent. Brigitte and her husband Jean-Marie can help out with any urgent problems. Other: Terasse: first floor, large space overlooking olive grove, vineyard and hill. Covered to provide protection from sun but open for cooling breezes. Use for dining in the evenings.