Thatched Cottage, Nr Tawstock, Barnstaple, North Devon - Peaceful, Rural Location, Within Easy Reach Of Beaches And Exmoor National Park
Sweet Bay Cottage an original Devon Long House - A detached, thatched, cottage, situated within easy distance of Barnstaple, tucked away in peaceful, rural tranquility at the end of a 'No through road'. Set amidst glorious Devonshire rural countryside, surrounded by fields and country footpaths. Just 1.5 mile to the local village pub, ten minutes to the nearest beach and a short drive to Exmoor National Park. The cottage is 5 star ETC rated, set in its own courtyard wth off road parking and a small fenced garden to the immediate front of the cottage. Additional orchard/garden areas to the rear of the cottage with bbq area and views across rural countryside, a perfect spot to watch the sun set on a summers evening. Modern furnishings merge with the heritage of the building offering a comfortable home from home, cosy with woodburning stove for winter breaks, logs are provided on site. Pets are most welcome, safe walks across fields and country lanes from the cottage doorstep. Ideal spot for keen cyclists and safe storage for bicycles provided on site.
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful lovingly restored cottage.
About the Owner
Steve, Sandi and Amelie Masters.
Guestbook comments from the owner
The accom was spacious and very well equipped, every last detail had been considered by the neighbouring owners who were very welcoming and helpful. The property was in an excellent location, very quiet but all amenities of Barnstaple were close enough. This is a very picturesque area with excellent walking in North Devon and on Exmoor. April 2009.
The property was of an exceptionally high standard, a great deal of thought and consideration had gone into what was available.A real family cottage, kitchen very well equipped. Beds very comfortable, lounge very comfortable and cosy with real fire. Bathroom was first rate and delightful. October 2009.
The location is very tranquil with lots of freedom to wander around as you please. The owners were very friendly and helpful. March 2010.
Sweet Bay Cottage was absolutely beautiful, it was superbly refurbished. Location ideal and we would not hesitate to recommend such a relaxing and comfortable cottage to anyone. July 2010.
5 based on 2 holidaymaker reviews
Beautiful lovingly restored cottage.
Quiet and remote, a perfect getaway for friends or family. Sandi was great from the initial booking and throughout our stay. Comfortable, cosy and close to the stunning scenery that North Devon has to offer. Lynton and Valley of Rocks definitely recommended for the walking and the views and Woolacombe beach to blow the cobwebs away. Would wholeheartedly recommend Sweet Bay Cottage, will definitely be coming back but will be staying for longer next time.
Beautiful cottage in a lovely setting
Beautiful rural Cottage in the heart of the Devonshire countryside but within easy reach of Barnstaple and surrounding beaches. Sandi and her Husband were wonderful hosts, always on hand but never intrusive. Despite the poor weather we had great fun visiting Peter and Gordon the Pigs and Rebecca and Phoebe the Alpacas. The Cottage was very Dog Friendly with a cosy log burner in the lounge, a sizeable kitchen/dining area and a delightful bathroom. Due to the weather we couldn’t walk to the local pub but the Cottage was so lovely that it didn’t really matter! Would definitely go again!
From the Owner
“Steve originally bought Tennacott Farm in 1999, bought for its remote and peaceful location, something about Tennacott appealed to Steve even though it was almost completely derelict, the cottage had been empty for some years and Tennacott was no longer a working farm. Rat infested and falling apart, he set about renovating the cottage to its former glory, one room per year! The courtyard and barns remained also in a terrible state of disrepair. Steve and Sandi met in 2003 and in 2006 decided to put everything into completing the renovation project. Some hard work and efforts later and in 2008 the main bulk of the project was completed, which included replacing the roof on the cottage to its original order with thatch and renovating and tidying the barns and courtyard.”
Activity and Interests
Sweet Bay Cottage is set in rural tranquility, yet just a short drive to the beautiful North Devon Golden Coast beaches, which offer something quite special, some of the most beautiful coastline to be found in the UK. The cottage is situated within ten minutes of the nearest beach Instow and a few minutes more from Saunton, Westward Ho!, Croyde, Putsborough and Woolacombe. The most fabulous surfing beaches to be found in the region. Ten minutes from Bideford and a little further to Exmoor National Park, Clovelly, Rosemoor RHS Gardens and many local National Trust properties. Barnstaple the nearest main town is 4 miles drive and has a host of shops, restaurants, cafe's, cinema, bowling, swimming pools, leisure centre, tennis centre, train station etc.
Exeter airport 1hr. Bristol airport 2hrs. Newquay airport 1.5hr.
Train links to Barnstaple, Tiverton and Exeter.
A car is recommended to fully appreciate the area.
Barnstaple 3 miles
Tawstock 2 miles
Newton Tracy 1 mile
Bideford 8 mile
Braunton 6 mile
Exmoor National Park 15miles
Nearest supermarkets 3 miles
village pub 1.5 miles
selection of restaurants 3 miles
Nearest town with all amenities, banks, shops, restaurants etc 3 miles
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
9 Sep 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
16 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
My Standard Rate
Changeover Day: Friday
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
Deposit (non-refundable) £150 payable on booking, full balance at least eight weeks prior to arrival date.
Weekly change over day is Friday arrival 3pm+
Short breaks of 2, 3, 4 , 5 nights accepted which can start on any day, please enquire for price and availability.
Discounts for under occupancy or short breaks, please enquire
Notes on prices:
Please always contact us for short break prices and offers during off peak season.
We ask for £150 (non refundable) deposit to secure your chosen date and full balance is payable at 8 weeks prior to holuday date.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is ideally located, within easy reach of Barnstaple, with its amenities, market, shops, theatre, restaurants etc, yet is so rural and quiet that you really do get away from it all and relax.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Video Library
- children welcome
- pets considered ...
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- fly fishing
- mountain biking
- bay fishing
- surf fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Modern bathroom with designer bath, wc, double basins and shower cubicle with electric shower on the first floor. Separate shower room with wc on the ground floor.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, 1 Cot
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king bed Bedroom 3 with twin beds, linking to Bedroom 2 with king bed. Ground floor, small play room with single day bed to offer flexibility for sleep arrangements. Two travel cots provided. Inflatable toddler bed available on request.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Perfect holiday destination for those wishing to bring along their dog/s. Surrounded by fields, open countryside and a maze of footpaths. Central heating included (Oil). Woodburning stove, logs provided. House towels provided. Please bring own beach towels. Great location for children to enjoy the countryside. Pet Pigs, Hens and Alpacas on site, guests welcome to help feed the animals and collect eggs. Swings and Trampoline on site. Outside: Small, garden to the front of the property, set to lawn with garden furniture provided. Overlooking enclosed courtyard, offering private space and ample parking. In addition, three meadows and an orchard for guests to roam as they please, great for dog walking or ball games. Utility Room: Fully fitted utility with belfast sink, microwave, fridge-freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer and access to separate shower room/wc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Full bed linen high grade egyptian cotton with pretty bed covers provided. All house towels provided and first supplies provided. Change of linen provided for two week bookings. Other: Small TV room/playroom, with single day bed.