Cottage in Bazoges en Pareds, near Chantonnay, Vendee - Heated Pool, Enclosed Garden, village centre
The cottage is a renovated stable block to the rear of what was once a hotel facing on to the village square and the beautiful castle and church. The open plan cottage is set in a sunny courtyard with parking and has access to a large sunny garden with a patio and covered dining area, a large enclosed sandpit, swings, slide and other garden toys. The pool area is also enclosed and is aprox 7mx4.5m with a decking surround and sun loungers. The pool is quite shallow and heated comfortably so ideal for children and adults. The pool terrace is in full sun from morning until late evening and is not overlooked. We live in the main house with our two boys (aged 18 and 14) and we may occasionally use the garden and pool but mostly you will have it to yourselves. The village of Bazoges is very pretty and dominated by the 'donjon' or fortified castle in the centre and the romanesque church. There is a very highly regarded restaurant a short stroll away and also a boulangerie and new grocery store with a small bar and terrace and pharmacy. For bigger shopping, the town of Chantonnay is 10k away and has a large variety of big hypermarkets and other shops.
About the Owner
Before we had kids we came to this area several times on motorbiking trips and just loved the whole area - the people, the scenery, the lifestyle, the weather. When our children arrived we found it to be a perfect place to holiday as it really is, in our opinion, probably the best family destination in Europe. It was on one of those holidays that we decided to look at some properties and in a whirlwind of excitement (and a few glasses of wine!) we suddenly had found our dream home and made the big decision to move here lock stock. We converted an old stables block behind the house into a gite and have found that we really enjoy it - meeting new people all the time and providing them with the kind of quality accommodation and facilities that they demand and deserve from their annual break.
Guestbook comments from the owner
We have let this cottage for ten years and have dozens of reviews in our guest book in the cottage. Other reviews are also available on our booking engine.
From the Owner
“We always stayed near the coast when we came on holidays here as do most people but having lived in this area for twelve years we really mostly avoid the coast apart from occasional trips to the beach. The area we live in is called 'le bocage' which means a rolling hilly landscape full of surprises and hidden gems. Every small road and turn provides a surprise, whether it is a tranquil water mill or a ruined windmill. You don't feel like a tourist here unlike on the frantic coastal strip but rather someone who is experiencing part of the local life. The pace of life here is slow and although you have access to all the modern luxuries you could want it still has the feel of a more laid back society, one that works to live rather than lives to work. It almost seems rude not to join in...”
Activity and Interests
We are an hour away from the coastal resorts of La Tranche sur Mer or La Faute sur Mer with their miles of golden beaches and lively tourist areas. However, if you don't want to travel that far or prefer a more tranquil scene than there is a large lake 5 minutes away which also has beaches and swimming and twenty minutes away are the stunning lakes and hills of Mervent with lots of boating, yachting, fishing etc.
Nantes airport 1 hr
La Rochelle airport 1.15hr
Poitiers airport 1.30hr
St Malo 3.5 hrs
Caen 4.5 hrs
Bazoges en Pareds is half way between the market towns of Chantonnay and La Chatageneraie which are both about 12km away with all the amenities you would expect. The A83 motorway from Nantes to Bordeaux passes close by Chantonnay. The old capital of the Vendee, Fontenay le Comte is 25 minutes drive while the new one, La Roche sur Yon is 35 minutes. The Mervent forest is twenty minutes away and the world renowned 'Pud du Fou' is a 30 minute drive.
The Vendee is a hugely popular holiday destination for both French and foreign tourists and, as you would expect, there are a large amount of attractions on offer. The Puy du Fou is an exceptional leisure park with an incredible night time show which is world famous and the park at Futuroscope in Poitiers is also amazing. The forest of adventures brings tree climbing and zip wires to a new level and the park at Pierre Brune is a delightful 'French' experience for all the family. There is go-karting, kayaking, horse riding, biking, hiking and even micro light flying and bungee jumping all readily available within a short distance. Family entertainment is all around, the problem ail be fitting in half of it!
If you prefer to kick back a bit and relax, the Áuberge du Donjon' restaurant in the village is highly regarded and recommended and there is another fabulous restaurant overlooking the nearby lake with a large sunny terrace and beach area. Or, if you prefer, you can partake of English fish and chips on what has to be the most spectacular terraces in the area high up and overlooking the amazing scenery of the lake at Mervent.
The village itself has a newly opened supermarket offering a good range of groceries and wines and beers at surprisingly reasonable prices and also has a nice little terrace bar/cafe which is an ideal 'people watching' spot on a sunny day. The boulangerie offers cakes and bread on a daily basis and there is also a Pharmacy and a hairdressers available as well as English speaking doctor on hand. The castle in the centre of the village is also worth a visit for its interesting museum and great views from the high battlements. There are numerous chateaux and historic and charming villages in the area and a famous wine trail through the south Vendee areas of Mareuil sur Lay and Pissotte. The Vendee also boast a sunshine record second only to the Riviera so you should be able to partake of the lovely outdoor lifestyle that France is so famous for
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
4 Sep 2016 - 30 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please call us for booking and deposit details etc. All our booking are from Saturday 4pm - Saturday 10am. We will consider discounts for longer stays, early bird discounts etc. Please call for details.
Saturday arrival after 4pm
Saturday departure before 10am
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“When we renovated the stable block that is now our holiday cottage our main priority was to create a bright, light and open space with all the modern conveniences you would expect from a home from home. We know that people love to cook so we made sure that we included everything we could think of in the kitchen and we also included satellite TV so you can keep in touch with home. Internet access is available throughout so you don't lose touch with emails etc and all our rooms are light and bright and have plenty of storage. Having stayed in lots of gites ourselves over the years we have tried to make ours everything that we would have wished for and our guests over the years have had lots of praise for our efforts and we hope you will too.”
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- theme parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- jet skiing
- water tubing
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- 2 en suite bathrooms both with w/c, sink, shower
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5/6 (2 Bedrooms + Cot) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed and fold out sofa bed, cot available Bedroom 2 two or three single beds
- Notes on accommodation: Ideal family accommodation, very suitable for children. We have been running our give for 10 years and have had many, many families stay here all of who have left lovely reviews in our guest books in the gite. Outside: The courtyard leads to the garden which is gated. Outside the gite in the courtyard is a comfortable seating area and around the corner another quiet area if you want a bit of quiet time! In the garden there is a patio with a big table and seating for 12 or more under gazebo, french style BBQ, large enclosed sandpit, swings, lots of garden toys etc. The heated pool is down the garden and is in a raised area enclosed by a picket fence and gate. Suitable for kids and adults with heating, shower and sun loungers. The garden and pool are occasionally shared with us and our two boys, but most of the time you will have it to yourselves. The garden is not overlooked and is really sunny from early morning until sunset and is an ideal place to spend time and relax with a glass of wine. Utility Room: Additional washing machines and tumble driers available in the cellar of the main house if required. Iron and board provided. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are included, for two week booking or longer we will supply you with clean linen and towels on the Saturday morning. Other: Stairs from the lounge to the two en-suite bedrooms on the first floor