Cottage in Leuchars, Nr. St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, UK - Quiet Rural Outlook, excellent for Cycling, Walking, Golf Etc
Sleeps 4 (up to 6 if using sofa-bed). No 6 Pitlethie Steading is a luxury holiday home, beautifully furnished throughout offering bright, airy and modern living areas and 2 very comfortable bedrooms. The property has a beautiful corner setting with its own large garden which enjoys lovely views over farmland and quiet countryside - an ideal place for relaxing with a good book in one hand and a glass of wine in the with other! This relaxing holiday home sits on the edge of the beautiful, Tentsmuir Nature Reserve (which covers 1300 acres) and is only five miles from the famous city of St Andrews - the Home of Golf. The area holds much to interest the historian or sightseer, as well as those with more active interests, particularly golfers seeking to savour the challenges to be found at the cradle of golf. The property is perfectly situated for exploring the picturesque area between the Tay and Forth Estuaries, including the many fishing villages and beaches round the East Neuk of Fife.
Top Traveller Review
Without a doubt the perfect holiday home
About the Owner
Although now living in Edinburgh, the owners were both born and brought up in Fife and spent their first years of marriage in St Andrews. So when No 6 Pitlethie Steading came on the market, the homing instinct played a great part in the decision to buy. The quality of the workmanship was also an influencing factor, having been looking for some time for something to provide a weekend’s escape from the city, but without sacrificing the home comforts we have come to enjoy. No 6 is ostensibly our second home, but one we are happy to share with others who would like to enjoy the same tranquility which attracted us. So, we have aimed to make it a home from home with high quality furnishings to match the beautiful location.
5 based on 23 holidaymaker reviews
Without a doubt the perfect holiday home
As far as the online description goes I can honestly say that is an understatement we were so surprised that everything was even better than we expected . The property is in an excelent condition , spotlessly clean . And there is everything at hand that one may require for a perfect holiday. As far as Customer service goes the Owners were very Friendly and understanding as we required the property Midweek to Midweek which is in many cases not accepted It was pleasent dealing with them . I would recommend this proprety to anyone , no chance of dissapointment 100% value for Money. This House is standing in excellent surroundings and is indeed not far from many attractions in the Wonderful Kingdom of Fife . A comfortable perfect base for any kind of holiday . St Andrews is but a stone throw away with much History to be discovered with many different shops and restaurants for any kind of taste . The Tail`s End do the best Fish and Chips ! To finish off I would just like to say that a Five star rating is not eanough to express our satisfaction !
One visit just isn't enough!
We arrived at the Cottage and felt like we had received a free upgrade! It was so clean and well equipped, with an impressive art collection. The views from the lounge are wonderful especially at sunset. It makes an excellent base for discovering Fife. A visit to Tentsmuir Beach with its lovely seals is a must, 5 minutes down the lane. We are already planning a return visit next year!
Wonderful Break in Scotland.
We have just returned from a wonderful weeks stay at the lovely Pitlethie Steadings. We knew the cottage would be lovely from the pictures but on arrival it definitely exceeded our expectations. We was greeted with some very thoughtful welcome gifts too. The property was spotlessly clean and had everything that you needed throughout the stay. Including a travel cot, high chair and toys for my 10 month old baby. We had 2 older children with us too and there was plenty of room for everyone to have their own space in the cottage.
It was so peaceful at Pitlethie Steadings we all had the best nights sleep we've had in a long time. It ideally located for days out which for us included St. Andrews, Tentsmuir Forest, Scottish Deer Centre, Edingburgh Castle and Falkland Palace.
The owners communication was excellent from the start and they could not of been more helpful with any questions we had. Thank You Eleanor and Keith if we visit Scotland again we will definitely return and will have no hesitations recommending this cottage to family, friends and fellow travellers.
Home away from Home
I was fortunate to enjoy a wonderful week here, during The Open at St. Andrews. The golf was fantastic (despite the weather) but what made the week really special for me was staying here. The house is beautifully furnished and decorated, with all the home comforts and more, and immaculately clean. I felt so at home and safe that I was able to truly unwind and relax and cant remember
the last time I slept so well! The location is fantastic for golf fans - just a short 15 drive into St. Andrews, the Home of Golf - and many other golf venues. I'll have to wait for my next visit to tour the many other places close by! Eleanor & Keith were very generous hosts who couldn't have been more helpful with the booking and arrangements. Thank you both for a special week.
Another Wonderful Stay at No 6 Pitlethie
Our 2nd visit and it felt even better than the first time with so much to enjoy at No 6 as well as great places to visit in the Kingdom of Fife. We enjoyed day's out to Falkland Palace, Scone and Edinburgh, as well as a coastal walk from Crail To Anstruther. Too many wonderful eateries to mention but now on a diet!
An ideal base for many reasons!
This was our third stay at no. 6. It was extremely clean, comfortable and very well-equipped - in fact everything is there. Walks of all kinds abound and St Andrews itself is only 10 minutes by car. We particularly like the coastal towns such as Crail which are so easy to reach. "The Tavern" restaurant should feature on itinerary for lunch or evening meal. There is something for everyone at Pitlethie Steadings. Very highly recommended!.
From the Owner
“We wanted a bolt-hole from our busy daily demands, but not one which required that we had to travel too far allowing spontaneous decisions to be made, depending upon the weather forecasts. While sitting in open countryside, the property's ease of access to the amenities of the surrounding towns and villages and to the larger facilities in the city of Dundee added to the attraction. We can be as busy, or as lazy as we like! It is a golfer's paradise, with all that St Andrews has to offer less than 15 minutes away and several championship level courses within 30 minutes drive.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Tenstmuir Forest is just 3 miles away. The adjoining Kinshaldy Beach has a well maintained picnic area with BBQ facilities. The Tentsmuir National Nature Reserve, centred around the forest, has a remarkable range of wild-life and is best know for its seals and bird life living on and around the mudflats. There are many paths and cycle tracks throughout this wonderful forest and foreshore.
St Andrews has two large sandy beaches, the East Sands sitting beside the small harbour, just down the hill from the Cathedral and the much longer, West Sands, which run alongside the golf links and which formed the location for scenes in the film, 'Chariots of Fire'. Both beaches are very safe and clean. The West Sands, in particular, has extensive parking facilities running the length of the beach, sitting between the Old Course and the dunes which border the beach itself.
To really enjoy all that the East of Fife has to offer, a car is the best means of transport, though Leuchars station, which is only about a mile from the property, sits on the main east coast railway line. Taxis generally await the arrival of most trains. Regular buses run through the village to Dundee and to St Andrews. Location as shown on Google maps is highly inaccurate - better using Mapquest.co.uk and typing in postcode KY16 0EJ
St Andrews 5 miles. Cupar 6 miles. Dundee 12 miles. Falkland 16 miles. Crail/Elie/Anstruther about 18 miles. Perth can be reached by car in less than 1 hr and Edinburgh, in less than 1hr 30 min.
Further information to complement that set out here is included in our web-site and when you book, further more detailed information about the house and its surrounding attractions, places to go and things to see, will be sent with our confirmation.
The local village has a convenience store and an excellent butcher. Branches of the national supermarket chains and banks can be found either in St Andrews or in Cupar. St Andrews also has an intriguing variety of small shops to interest the visitor.
Fife is not just about golf! It has a very old history and its geography, surrounded on three sides by water, has made it of some importance throughout the centuries. Falkland Palace, in the middle of the county, was once the home of the Scottish Kings and St Andrews Cathedral was, in its day, the most important religious centre in the country. The old fishing villages round the south eastern coast retain much of their original charm and are well worth a visit.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
22 Oct 2016 - 16 Dec 2016
Changeover Day: Saturday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 4 guests; add £3 per night, per additional guest|
17 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Bookings can be made by contacting the owners directly via this site. Weekend bookings (e.g., 12 noon Friday to 2pm Sunday) may be accepted outside normal peak periods, provided that the two weeks either side are not already booked. Please contact us for pricing.
To allow for administrative details to be completed and for full preparation of the cottage, we require minimum notice of two weeks prior to proposed start of any booking period.
Bookings are normally from Saturday to Saturday, though there can be some room for flexibility at quieter times of the year. For weekly stays, access can be gained from 4pm on day of arrival and the property must be vacated by 10am on day of departure.
Notes on prices:
1. Prices are per week based on 4 people sharing. Additional guests will incur an additional charge of £15 per visit to cover additional linen costs.
2. Provided that the weeks either side of a weekend are not booked, outwith peak summer, we can usually accommodate weekend breaks. Mid-week breaks are also possible. Please contact us for prices.
3. Repeat guests are given a 10% discount against the advertised prices.
4. Christmas and New Year periods are charged at High Season Rates
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 0% refund for cancellations more than 0 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- bird watching
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- On ground floor - cloakroom with toilet, wash-hand basin and shower unit. Shaver point and a large mirror over the sink Upstairs - a family bathroom with bath, electric shower, toilet and wash-hand basin. Shaver point and large mirror over the sink.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4/6 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king-size bed, LCD TV, drawer units and built-in wardrobes Bedroom 2 equipped with twin beds (which can be put together to form a super-king). Room has built-in wardrobe, ample drawer space and LCD TV. A cot can be provided on request).
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Throughout the property,there is a collection of limited edition lithographs by modern artists providing a pleasing, homely feel. The property has a full electric, "wet" central heating and additional fan-heaters are provided to give an immediate heating boost, if required. A storage unit in the living room holds a good selection of games, DVDs, books and important local holiday information and brochures. Some of the kitchen basics (tea, coffee, etc) are provided as well as your first bottle of wine! In the interests of the comfort of everybody who uses this holiday home, it is fully non-smoking and we would request guests respect this and refrain from smoking within the house. Unfortunately, pets are not allowed. Outside: The property has two parking spaces of its own and additional parking is available. In addition to communal areas around the former farm steadings, No 6 enjoys the largest garden in the development. It is laid out to a low maintenance design, so that it retains its attractive layout all year round. Being a new property, its planting has not yet reached maturity, but this does not detract from its being a very pleasant place to let the world go by. Garden furniture is supplied and the orientation of the garden is such that it enjoys sun (when it shines) all through the day, right through till the sun sets behind the hill to the west. On clear nights, without immediate street light pollution, the star-filled sky can be quite inspiring. Utility Room: Beyond the kitchen sits the utility room which houses a washing machine and a tumble dryer as well as cupboard, shoe rack and coat hooks. The downstairs cloakroom sits beyond the utility room. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: High quality towels and bed linen are included. For the convenience of guests staying two weeks, linens will be changed and the property cleaned during the middle weekend of their stay.