Farmhouse near Castres, Tarn, France - Peaceful Location, Walking Distance Of The Village Of Montredon Labessonnie With All Amenities
The manoir of a small bastide close to amenities, set in beautiful, peaceful surroundings. This enchanting property has its own large private gardens as well as 4 hectares of shared grounds, 12x7m swimming pool and 16 hectares of forest. 2 mins drive from the village of Montredon Labessonnie with many amenities.Within easy reach of picturesque medieval villages steeped in Cathar history incl Cordes sur Ciel & Lautrec as well as stunning Albi, a World Heritage city.Our house offers spacious and comfortable accommodation with many original features. Furnished in the French style with terracotta tiled floors.Set in the Parc Regional du Haut Languedoc it is a perfect location to explore from. Nearest big town is Castres on the Agout river with its wide range of shops and restaurants,excellent leisure facilities and bustling market.The house is situated just outside of the village Montredon-Labessonnie down a leafy lane. Steeped in local history, this lovely Protestant home was built for and kept in the same family for centuries; the French revolution caused the family to escape until it was safe to return, where they continued to live until the 1960s. You can find out more about this fascinating part of history at a nearby museum. The house is beamed throughout and centrally heated. It provides a perfect stay for any season. Enjoy a wide range of excellent activities, food & wine.
About the Owner
My husband and I have lived and worked in London for more years than I care to add up. We love the city for all the many different things to do and people to meet, but we are country people at heart, so buying our house in France has provided us with what has become an essential place to wind down, but also with many places to see & people to meet should the mood take us. But mainly we chill out by reading through that unread pile of books or going for long walks & picking blackberries. In La Payrastrie we are able to share reunions with our friends and children, where everyone can leave their worries behind and enjoy total relaxation; or alternatively we can slip away for a quiet, uninterrupted break and recharge our batteries. It is a house full of happy memories.
Guestbook comments from the owner
‘A magical place. We loved your house’ Sian aged 12
‘We planned to do so much but ended up sitting on the terrace reading for two weeks. Total relaxation’ John from Canada
‘Thank goodness for the showers. Aching bones after cycling up and down hills all day every day. It was always good to get back and relax’
The warm welcome that we received means that we will return again and again.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
This area is popular for keen cyclists. Apart from the winding roads encompassing beautiful scenery, there also designated routes along unused railway tracks.
Wine: the gmail lac wine route is close by and a stunning journey through the national park will take you to Minervois vineyards or St Chinian. This is the Languedoc region which has become very well respected over recent years.
The nearest beach is Valras Plage near Beziers. Approx 1 1/2 - 2hrs by car. It's not the distance but the country roads that take the time. It's a beautiful drive. Lakes with beaches are approx 20 minutes drive. Some provide boat/pedalo hire etc.
Toulouse and Carcassonne airports are both 1hr 30 mins drive. Rodez 2 hrs. Easyjet/Ryanair/BA are some of the cheaper options. Easy car hire from all airports. Ferry to Santander or Bilbao are overnight crossings that can include whale and dolphin spotting and is a 6 hr drive. 700 miles from Calais. A car is essential as there is no public service to the house. You can now fly from Paris to Castres.
Montredon Labessonnie 2 min drive; 15 min walk. Shops, bank, fabulous 3D cinema and mini planetarium. Castres 20 mins Good selection of shops, restaurants, market, theatre, museums. Albi 35 mins. Beautiful cathedral city. Toulouse Lautrec gallery. Cordes sur Ciel-45 mins medieval hilltop bastide village, summer festivals, wonderful buildings, Michelin restaurant. Lautrec 15 mins. Bastide village. Annual garlic and bread festivals. Realmont 20mins. Great bustly market Weds.Gaillac/Minerve 1hr.
There is a bank, cafe, grocery shops and butcher in the village. There are excellent places to eat nearby. A 10 mins drive brings you to white water rafting. 20 mins drive is a climbing adventure centre. The area is known for its walking and cycling routes. The Sidobre National park is 20 mins drive with its fascinating historic boulders and graded walks. You can hire a boat on the Canal du Midi -Gaillac, Minervois & St Chinian vineyards within the hr. Nearest supermarket 10 min away and the area is steeped in brocantes to find an antique bargain! At Castres there is a large pool complex, ice skating rink and good 9 hole golf course with range and practice area. You can just turn up. The rugby team is in the top 16 and 1st match is end of August. Tickets are usually easily available. Albi also top 16. Cordes sur Ciel has classical music festival every July + a good modern art gallery. Castres has a Goya & Jean Jaures museum. There is an annual summer festival of dance. Albi is a World Heritage site and has an excellent permanent Toulouse Lautrec exhibition featuring his life work. The imposing cathedral is a masterpiece of supreme architecture and the surrounding ancient buildings provide a wealth of interesting shops and restaurants. Ancient Carcassonne is a walled city with many tourist attractions and the old Carcassonne is a bustling city with much to offer.Toulouse is a beautiful university city with music/shops restaurants to suit all ages & tastes. Famous for its violets. Ax-les-Thermes is 2 1/2 hr drive for skiing & thermal baths. Spanish coast is 3 1/2 hrs drive. The immediate area is of countryside filled with sunflower fields and farms, all set in rolling hills and beautiful scenery. It is an area of France that is still very French with few tourists.There are many lovely places to discover and a wealth of activities for all ages. Prices quoted are for full occupancy but house is equally suited for smaller groups and price can be reduced accordingly.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Christmas New Year
24 Dec 2016 - 31 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
50% non returnable deposit is required on booking plus a £200 returnable deposit to safeguard against breakages and excess cleaning costs. Full amount due 6 weeks before commencement of rental date.
Changeover is on Saturdays. Departure no later than 10.00 am and arrival not before 4pm. Can be flexible outside of summer season.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK pounds and can be converted to Euros. Smaller parties will equally enjoy the house and a discount may be given.
Discounts can be given for lets of over 3 weeks at the owners discretion. Short lets available out of high season. Please note that the pool will not be open during the winter/spring months. As a general rule it is usually opened at the end of May and closes as the weather gets cooler during October.
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- children welcome
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Beautiful bathroom with Villeroy Boch extra long bath, access to separate shower room,hand basin and WC. Bathroom 2:shower with washbasin & bidet. There are 2 separate WCs with basin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: 2 double bedrooms 1 twin Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 double bed window overlooking valley Bedroom 2 double bed window overlooking gardens Bedroom 3 twin beds window overlooking gardens travel cot available
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Central heating in every room makes for a comfortable stay at any time. Children enjoy the freedom of exploring the grounds and the pool follows all safety regulations. It has an alarm when covered at night. The house is laid out in such a way to provide complete privacy as well as give easy access to the communal space. A comfortable family home that visitors return to year after year. The rooms are all light, airy & welcoming, with views over the beautiful extensive countryside. The stairs to the top floor of the house are steep and should be taken into consideration if either very young or elderly people are in the party. NB. There is no TV or DVD player.Guests need to bring own laptop to watch DVDs. Outside: The large private & secluded walled & hedged back gardens are laid to lawn with flowers beds each side plus mirabelle plum & pear trees.An ancient majestic cedar takes central position offering welcome shade.A covered terrace with vines and climbing roses leads on to this garden.A gate opens to the pool giving private access.The 12x7m pool is cleaned daily. Plenty of sun chairs available. A barbecue is provided, along with some sun chairs,ancient golf clubs, boules and table football. At the front is the shared courtyard with its central palm tree. Here people play boules & sip apperitifs in the evening. A sun trap in the mornings.Children have plenty of safe areas to play.The shared grounds include 19 hectares of woodland to explore or collect mushrooms.Our guardian lives next door & is able to assist with any help or advice. Utility Room: Washing machine. Ironing board. Iron. Cleaning equipment including hoover. Wash basin and WC. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels & linen included.For stays of more than one week an extra set of bedlinen is provided. We ask that you bring your own pool towels.The house is cleaned before and after each stay. Need for extra cleaning is charged for. Other: Wide corridors run the length of the house overlooking the shared courtyard. The house is simply and eclectically furnished with a real French flavour. All rooms have lovely uninterrupted views.