Craighead Muckle Howf near Dunblane, Central Scotland. - Countryside luxury cottage located in Perthshire, Scotland.
The Muckle Howf is a traditional Scottish stone-built steading converted into a luxury holiday cottage equipped with three double bedrooms - as well as a private outdoor hot tub - and has been awarded 5 stars* by the Scottish Tourist Board.
Internally the conversion has optimised the space and structures to offer a wonderfully spacious feel. It offers three double bedrooms all with their own en-suite. Upstairs is also home to the ‘whisky lounge’, this room has wonderful views through the glazed gable with a patio style door to ensure you get the true feel of the country and the best of the view.
Strike out from here to visit Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument, Edinburgh or Glasgow or head north for the Highlands, Scotland’s National Parks or the mountains and lochs of the Trossachs. Only a mile and a half from Cromlix House, newly renovated by Wimdeldon champion Andy Murray. Why not treat yourself to lunch or dinner at this must visit venue being overseen by the Roux brothers.
For golfers it couldn’t be better with an array of golf courses available including the famous Gleneagles, walkers and cyclists will find this an ideal base to return to in the evenings.
Or simply relax surrounded by peace, tranquility, wildlife and our variety of animals and poultry. Our free range hens will provide you with your breakfast, eggs can be found in the honesty box at the bottom of the lane!
When the day is drawing to a close it will be time to sit under the stars perhaps by a fire or BBQ and possible enjoy a dram or two.
Ian, Heather & family offer you a warm welcome.
Top Traveller Review
Fantastic place for relaxing, golf and hot tub
About the Owner
Craighead is a traditional Scottish stone-built farmhouse near Dunblane, Perthshire, the family home since 1990. Over the years it has become 'a favourite meeting place and haunt' for family, friends and those who have stayed in the Muckle Howf, often returning again and again. It offers you a delightful location in which to spend your holiday, either to simply relax or as a base for some of the best Scotland has to offer.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'What an amazing place, thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality, for example lending us wellies, freshly baked bread, fresh eggs and all the little touches around the house and what a view from the hot tub, the design of the house is amazing, we loved the fire and had some beautiful walks even just around the farm'
'Stunning property easily the best we have ever stayed in every detail has been thought of and we felt so at home we didn't want to leave, sauna steam and hot tub fantastic will definitely be back'
'The house with all the extra facilities is too good to be true many many thanks for providing such wonderful accommodation. The touch of a craftsman's hand'
'Wow wow wow wonderful house which is an absolute luxury you have exceeded our expectations and we have no doubt we will be back, well worth a visit, stunning location, too much to see and do - cracking!'
5 based on 2 holidaymaker reviews
Fantastic place for relaxing, golf and hot tub
This is a fantastic place to stay. It is fully kitted out with everything you need. The rooms are really well decorated and the views are superb. It is also well placed for golfing breaks and so much to see and do in the area. We will be back to take in the scenery sitting in the hot tub.
Great place for a weekend break
Just had a great weekend at Muckle Howf. Very comfortable house tastefully furnished and equiped. Hot tub was brilliant and the owners very friendly but not intrusive.
Everything you needed was on hand to make an enjoyable stay. Highly recommended. We were a party of 6 and plenty of space and equipment for us all.
Only complaint my wife had was the early morning wake up call from the resident cockerel. !!!
From the Owner
“What makes it special is the setting combined with the very high standard achieved. It is unique in its quiet country setting, surrounded by natural gardens, a lochan and woodland areas. We have wonderful views, sunsets and privacy, yet thanks to our location we are ideally place to base yourself for easy access to some of Scotland’s finest country and tourist attractions.”
Activity and Interests
The West Coast can be reached from us by car in 90 minutes, the East Coast can be reached in 45 minutes.
Dunblane train station with excellent access to Stirling, Glasgow and Edinburgh is only 15 minutes away by car.
Edinburgh airport can be reached by car in approx 45 minutes with Glasgow airport being approx 50 minutes away - both are very straightforward drives.
Andy Murrays, Cromlix Hotel and Restaurant is only 2 miles down the road. Many of our guests now treat themselves to the experience of visiting and dining.
Nearest village, Braco, is two miles away.
Dunblane is four miles and has local shops, supermarkets, restaurants, cafe's, pubs etc. including takeaway facilities.
Bridge of Alan and Stirling also offers high quality local shops and further eating out.
Stirling and Perth offer the usual range of bigger shops etc.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
To book we ask for a 20% deposit to secure the booking with full and final payment due six weeks prior to arrival.
Our changeover day is normally Saturday with short breaks available at certain times of the year.
We ask that customers arrive at 3pm and vacate by 10am.
Notes on prices:
Discounts are available for short breaks depending on the number of people in the party. Please contact for more details.
Please email us or go to our website www.craigheadhowf.co.uk to get in touch with us and for more information.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The Muckle Howf offers you a luxurious and peaceful stay surrounded by rolling Perthshire hills. During your stay you can enjoy the many amenities in the Muckle Howf such as the infra-red sauna, secluded outdoor hot tub and exquisite whisky lounge that offers stunning views across the Scottish countryside.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub ...
- Sauna ...
- children welcome
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- bird watching
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Master Bedroom Bathroom - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Bedroom 2 Bathroom - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bedroom 3 Bathroom - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, This bathroom also has an infra-red sauna
- Master bedroom ensuite has a bath with shower over. Rooms 2 and 3 shower ensuite -all ensuites are finished to a high standard. Downstairs the fourth bathroom offers an infra-red sauna room.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 people - there are 3 double bedrooms all with their own ensuite. Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom with double bed, glazed wall with magnificent views and bath en-suite with shower over. Bedroom 2 with zip lock beds (twin or king) and shower en-suite. Bedroom 3 with zip lock beds (twin or king) and shower en-suite.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The holiday cottage has its own private parking space, patio area with chairs and table, BBQ area/fire pit, decking with additional seating and private hot tub. You are surrounded by wildlife but should you wish to wonder down to the pond, through the woodlands or up to the main garden you will come across our many animals and poultry. Our two highland cows enjoy a titbit of bread in exchange for photo opportunities. We have been developing the grounds and garden around Craighead over the past twenty five years. Covering approximately two acres there is lots of variation and it is a lovely place to be whatever the time of year. The pond has really matured and now attracts a wide variety of bird and wildlife. It is home to brown trout and carp and there is nothing better than taking a bit of time out in the evening to watch them jump. Utility Room: Large utility room with washing machine/dryer, freezer, large stone sink, hoover, iron etc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All towels and linen are included plus a large hot tub towel/sauna towel for each guest. The house is cleaned to a very high standard prior to arrival. For stays of longer than one week a mid- break cleaning and fresh linen can be arranged. Other: Infra-red sauna with a separate shower cabin with bamboo plants give a tropical feel, with further WC, wash hand basin leading from this room.