House in Chez Gombaud, Charante Maritime - Peaceful Location, 20 minutes drive to Nearest Beach
Our property consists of a beautiful house set in its own extensive garden. The garden has many mature trees - fig, olive and apple.It has its own private pool which measures 8x4 metres has roman steps and a electronic alarm system for total security.It has a poolside patio with patio furniture and barbecue. Besides the pool there are many other facilities for children including a table tennis table,badminton and booles. There is satellite TV and an extensive collection of DVDs for adults and children. The garden and pool are totally secluded for your privacy. The property is in a quiet hamlet of 8 houses and just 5 mins from Gemozac with its boulangeries, supermarkets and restaurants. The area is ideal for cycling and walking holidays, close to beaches. This region is the second sunniest in France after the Mediterranean region.
About the Owner
We are a family of four -Margy and Jon and our two children Aran who is 22 and Leah who is 19. We live in Southern Ireland.
I , Margy own and run a ladies clothes shop, Jon my husband is an actor and comedian and our children are still in college. Aran is studying Politics in the University of Limerick and Leah is studying Creative Music production in Dublin.
We live in a very rural part of County Limerick in Southern Ireland.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Hope you’re well.
We got back from Gemozac late last night after a fantastic, relaxing week at Elizabeth. The house was great – lots of space and great location. We had everything we needed from the pool and ping pong to a well equipped kitchen (little used!).
Would definitely recommend you and on our list of places to return to!
From the Owner
“We love France. We've gone there on our holidays over the last fifteen years. We normally went to the Mediterranean but when we decided to buy a property, we wanted somewhere we could travel to by car as well as flying. We discovered the Charente Maritime and were amazed to find that it is the second sunniest region of France after the Med. The countryside is beautiful farmland - sunflowers and vines. The beaches along the Atlantic beat the Mediterranean any day and it is only 5 hours drive from Roscoff. It is just an hour's drive from the Airports of La Rochelle and Bordeaux and 3 hours from Nantes. It is ideal for walking and cycling and is near some really interesting places.”
Activity and Interests
The nearest beach is 18 miles away(20 minutes drive) at Merchers.This is a small,horseshoe shaped, white sandy beach with a sailing school. It also has a cafe that spills out on to the beach which does scrumptious food and has fantastic live bands playing every night during July and August.The larger and bustlier beaches of Royan and St George de Didonne are just up the coast from here, 30 minutes drive from the property. Here you can take part in water sports or just stroll the promenade.
The nearest airports are at La Rochelle and Bordeaux which are 1 hours drive away. Ryan air and other budget airlines fly into these airports from Dublin and many British airports. Nantes Airport is three hours away with flights from Shannon and other airports. The property is easily accessed , just 7 mins off the A10 motorway. The ferry port of St Malo is 3.5 hours away, Roscoff 5 hours and Cherbourg 6 hours. Car hire is recommended but there are train stations nearby in Pons and Saintes.
The nearest village, Gemozac is just 1.5 miles away with its boulangeries, supermarkets, restaurants etc. The charming town of Pons and the bigger historical town of Saintes are just 10 mins and 20 mins drive away, respectively.The Gironde Estuary with its many restaurants is just 20 mins drive. Bordeaux, the second city in France and the wine capital is 1 hour down the A10.
You can taste locally produced drinks including the famous Pineau des Charentes, Cognac and wines at the local chateaux.
Places of Interest:
Saintes: It was the capital of Aquitaine during the Gallo- Roman age. Famous monuments include the Roman Amphitheatre, the Arch of Germanicus, the Abbaye aux Dames and many more. It has a lovely pedestrianised shopping area full of restaurants, galleries and cafes. There is a fantastic market , one of the biggest street markets in the whole of France. You can also take boat trips on the river.
Pons: which is only 10mins away is charming and has many interesting historical buildings including a wonderful Donjon( Keep ) in the centre of the town.
Talmont: (15 mins drive) has been given the title of 'One of the Prettiest Villages in France' has winding, narrow, cobbled streets and a church high on the headland with spectacular sea views.
Cognac: gives its name to one of the world's best known brandies but is also charming in its own right with many narrow cobbled streets - a perfect day out!
La Rochelle: is the busiest yachting centre on the French Atlantic coast, the old harbour is overseen by twin fortress towers. Every evening in the summer here is like a festival with many street musicians and performers.
Bordeaux: is known for its excellent museums, cafes and restaurants and vibrant night-life. It is also great for shopping. Of course it is most famous for its wine and there are many tours you can take to the chateaux, imbibe the world-class wines and indulge in the regional cuisine.
St Emilion: The village and vineyards of St-Emilion to the east of Bordeaux are well worth a visit. St-Emilion is a medieval town with steep hilly cobbled streets running through ancient limestone buildings. The cobbled streets link picturesque squares and the distinctive honey - coloured stone makes St Emilion a beautiful town.
Royan: The long sandy beach at Royan is a huge attraction. Visitors can take part in the many water sports or just walk the promenade with its many shops and restaurants. La Palmyre zoo near Royan is the best in France.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
Early Summer 2017
29 Apr 2017 - 2 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
3 Jun 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Early Autumn 2017
2 Sep 2017 - 27 Oct 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£84|
Signed booking form with 20% deposit confirms booking with balance due 8 weeks prior to commencement of holiday.
Preferred changeover day is Saturday. This is more flexible during the low season and for longer lets. Accommodation will be ready by 4pm and must be vacated by 10am on day of departure.
Notes on prices:
There is a 10% early bird discount on all summer rentals paid in full at time of booking.There are also discounts for long winter lets. Please contact the owner for information. The prices are for a one week stay and are in pounds sterling. Rental period is normally from Saturday to Saturday but this is flexible - ask the owner.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
From the Owner
“While staying at our property we enjoy relaxing and playing in the beautiful garden. The pool is fantastic. We love cooking outdoors and sharing a meal with friends on the patio long into the evening. We love the convenience of the property. It is in a hamlet of houses but completely private. Yet it is only a mile to the nearest supermarket. There are many very reasonably priced restaurants nearby. The beach at Mershers is only 20 mins drive. Every night during July and August there is fantastic live music at Tina's restaurant which is situated on ( and spills out on to) the beach.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- near the sea
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There is a small bathroom with wc with wash hand basin on this floor. Downstairs there is also a shower room and separate wc
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps up to nine people Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs there is a master bedroom with four poster double bed and single bed , a triple bedroom with three single beds, a double bedroom and a mezzanine with large sofa bed. Each bedroom has clothes storage and there is also a shared walk in closet.
- Notes on accommodation: The largest bedroom has a double , four poster bed and a single bed. There is a triple bedroom with three single beds and a third bedroom with a double bed. There is a large landing with a double sofa bed. There is a bathroom with WC and wash hand basin and a walk in closet on the first floor also. Downstairs there is a kitchen/dining room, a sitting room, a large hallway , a utility room, a shower room and a separate WC. Outside: There is a large garden -1 acre approximately. It is planted with flowers, flowering shrubs and mature trees such as fig, olive and apple but still has plenty room for games such as badminton and volley ball. There is a large patio with table tennis, barbecue and veranda. The pool measures 25' by 13' approximately, with Roman steps and an alarm system. There are lots of sun loungers and lilos. There is also a small patio with dining furniture and barbecue to the side of the house. The garden is secluded from neighbouring houses. It has ample off road parking at the front of the house. Utility Room: Utility room downstairs. The utility room has a washing machine , iron and ironing board and plenty storage for an extensive range of cooking utensils and equipment. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included in the price. Each guest receives a bath towel, hand towel and pool towel. If guests are staying longer than a week, they can arrange with housekeeping for a new set of towels. The house is cleaned on departure. Other: There is a garage attached storing lilos, table tennis table and plenty of games equipment such as badminton, volley ball and boules. There is a veranda to the back of the house and patio to the the side of the house. The garden is large.