House in Navaisha, Rift Valley, Kenya - Idyllic, Peaceful, Exclusive, This Pocket Of Paradise 5 Mins From Golf Course
Lahai House, the home of Cherry and Andrew is ideally placed to accommodate one large family The property lies in the middle of 25 acres of unspoilt bush and beautiful gardens, with unrivalled views of the Great Rift Valley. The hard tennis court and heated pool are sympathetically landscaped into the gardens, which also include an 'English walled garden'. There are managed bush walks around the property, and many 'sun downer spots' to enjoy the spectacular views. The property is part of the extensive Green Park development, on the north side of Lake Navaisha, which includes the Golf Resort and residential housing. It is only minutes from the golf course, where there is a shop and all the usual facilities associated with a 4* hotel. Within an hour there are several Game Parks, and around Lake Navaisha, only 2 miles away, there are many attractions and small conservancies. Green Park is uniquely placed to enjoy the best that Kenya offers.
About the Owner
Andrew and Cherry Ritchie came on safari to Kenya in 2003, fell in love with the country on arrival and bought Lahai the second day! Within 5 months, Andrew had retired and we were living here, our 2 youngest of 6 children moved from Prep School in south of England to Kenya and we haven't looked back since.
Andrew, a retired naval officer, learnt to fly at the coast in 2006, was so impressed as he flew over empty white sands and shimmering Indian Ocean, that he bought 4 acres on the beach north of Mombasa.
Andrew and Cherry have just had their eldest daughters wedding on the beach. It was a breathtaking location.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'What a wonderful place. We wondered if the Garden of Eden might have been like these surrounding gardens! House so comfortable and staff so attentive. We enjoyed the dogs, so friendly. Our two little boys enthralled with the swimming pool'.
'Fantastic place! It needs at least 5 nights, we had only 2 and time flew. This has been one of my favourite places in Kenya. Never been to somewhere like this! Golf and tennis too'.
' A peaceful oasis away from Nairobi, with views I could sit up and look on all day. A truly magical find'.
' Lahai cottage provides a rare opportunity to climb from life's treadmill and relax in beautiful surroundings. We all enjoyed every aspect of Lahai, pool, tennis court and strolls through the gardens. The cottage itself is well appointed and wonderful, and Jane and her team took care of all our needs. Many thanks to all. PS The dogs were great company!'
From the Owner
“When we saw Lahai on the second day of our safari, perched on the hillside above us whilst we were playing golf, it took our breath away. We were shown it that day, considered it a home not a house, and bought it! Set in 25 acres of beautiful gardens and unspoilt bush, it looks down upon the panoramic views of the Great Rift Valley, the Aberdare Mountains and Lake Navaisha. Just 1.5 hours drive or 20 mins by daily scheduled flight from Nairobi, Lahai is central to the many attractions around the Lake and several Game Parks, all within an hour. The area is renowned for its equitable climate, being on the equator but at 7,000 ft. It is full of game and spectacular bird life and the Lake is teeming with hippo, pelicans and flamingos. It is a real getaway from the bustle of life.”
Activity and Interests
Nairobi is 2 hours drive, and the international airport 2 1/2 hours. There is also a daily scheduled flight from Nairobi domestic airport to Loldia airstrip, 10 mins away, which returns to Nairobi via the Mara. If you arrive on a day flight, you will need to spend the night in Nairobi on arrival. Arriving in the morning, which is recommended, means you have all day to travel. A taxi can be organised or you can hire 4x4 or saloon car, self drive or, preferably, with a driver.
Green Park is on the north side of Lake Navaisha. Navaisha town is 45 mins away counter clockwise round the lake, and about 2 hours clockwise. There are numerous attractions round the lake, small Conservancies and the lake is teeming with hippo, pelicans and flamingos. Nakuru National Park is 1 hour away, and has everything apart from elephant. The Aberdare National Park is wild and mountaneous, and about 1 1/2 hours drive. You can see fantastic elephant there.
Apart from National Parks and other wildlife Conservancies, all of which are nearby, there are a lot of local crafts and arts studios in the area. The nearest banks are in Navaisha, and apart from the Rift Valley Lodge, where you can get a very good meal, there are restaurants round the lake within reasonable distances. Further afield, the Mara is world class for a safari, and is only 45 mins by air. Then there is the coast, one hours flight from Nairobi or 8 hours drive. There is even an overnight train for the hardy. I would then recommend our beach house one hour north of Mombasa at Vipingo, behind yet another stunning golf course! This can also be rented through Owners Direct.
- Booking Notes:
A deposit is required to confirm a booking. The balance is required one month before arrival.
Arriving/departing Nairobi on a Sunday avoids the inevitable traffic jams as you have to pass through the middle of Nairobi to get onto the Navaisha Road.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per day in UK pounds.
Generous discount on rates for taking both properties together on application. An additional discount is available if both the owners properties (KY16 at Navaisha and KY17 at Vipingo north coast) are taken as a package.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Lahai lies within a 2,500 acre development called Green Park, only 30 mins from Navaisha. The 18 hole Championship Golf Course and Lodge are only 5 mins away, and when built 7 years ago was voted in the Top five Hotels for Golf by the UK's Independent Newspaper. The lodge has all the usual facilities, an excellent menu and recently a shop for all but fresh fruit and veg. You can hire golf clubs and a round of golf with your own caddie is less than half it would be in UK. The development has 100 or so homes around the course, and up to 400 five acre plots off the course, with currently 70 homes built. There is a vibrant community of 15 different nationalities, but of course English is the predominant language. Lahai is staffed, has its own heated pool and hard latex tennis court.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- One separate
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) with a spare cot available. Notes on bedrooms: 3 double bedrooms en-suite with bath, each with a double bed, one with private sitting room. 1 further double bedroom, with a double bed. Separate shower/loo.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Lahai House is the home of Andrew and Cherry. It is highly suitable for children, with wide open spaces to play. The one double in the main house with single beds is the children's rooms. There is no need for any heating or air-con, as the days are pleasantly warm, it being a dry heat, and the nights cool, ensuring you sleep well. At 7,000 ft and on the equator, it is billed as being the most equitable climate in the world. There are no mosquitoes. Outside: The grounds are extensive. There are about 2 acres of lawn, numerous rockeries, flower beds and arboretums surrounded by unspoilt African bush. Here there are managed walks to enjoy the peace and tranquility and a little bit of Africa. The hard latex tennis court and solar heated pool are sympathetically landscaped into the garden. The pool is sunken with a high wall covered in bougainvillea and succulents with unrivalled views of the Aberdares. It has a bar (with fridge), covered sitting areas and a separate changing room and loo. There is an English walled garden, with a white bougainvillea avenue, where you can relax by the fountain under a small rondavel, to escape from the realities of life. The are tortoises and a separate fish pond to enjoy, and we have a variety of friendly dogs and cats. There are separate staff quarters, as we provide a cook and house girl, two gardeners who manage the gardens and pool, and a nighttime askari. Utility Room: Fridges, freezer, Ironing facilities etc Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Yes, all linen and towels are provided, but guests are encouraged to bring theeir own swimming towels. The house comes with a fulltime cook, who also looks after the guests, makes beds etc Other: There is a large TV veg out room off the upstairs galleried area, with a 51 inch TV, satellite TV, Home theatre, DVD etc. This looks down upon the Sitting Room with a walkway to the stairs.