Villa in Benabbio, Nr. Bagni Di Lucca, Tuscany, Italy - A Unique and Characterful Space For Family, Courses, Retreats And Seminars
Villa San Rocco is an impressive country residence which has recently undergone an exhaustive and sympathetic 5-year restoration. The villa is an important historic monument, with the present main building, chapel and garden dating from 1688 in the Baroque style. The foundations and south aspect are medieval, recorded as having been constructed in 1323. San Rocco has a commanding view over Benabbio and the Lima valley, with a number of reception rooms, a flexible layout and a stunning altana (covered terrace), making it ideal for groups and activities. The property has a swimming pool in the private olive grove at the back overlooking the Villa and with stunning mountain views. There is a wonderful family-run Pizzeria 3 minutes walk away, local shops and a further Restaurant in the main piazza just below. A short trip down the hill puts you in Bagni Di Lucca, with further shops, restaurants and famous spa.
About the Owner
Villa San Rocco is a family project which began 10 years ago when my father saw the building on the point of ruin after a quarter of a century of neglect. Being a surgeon, he had to save it - despite being a surgeon, he needed some help with the operation. Together with the rest of the family, we decided the villa, with its expansive and unique layout and history, should be enjoyed by as many as possible, as a place of learning, relaxation, work and simple pleasure. As a UK based writer and editor, I've many arty friends and associates, many of whom are helping to give San Rocco its current flavour - a real Renaissance.
Guestbook comments from the manager
Blown away with the villa, your hospitality and surrounds. I feel like I'm leaving home. ( Lindsay ,Melbourne Australia)
I'm not sure how to describe the feeling of relaxation and renewal that we experienced during our stay at Villa San Rocco. The sunsets from the veranda with the bubbly, the elegant, ancient beauty of the Villa itself made for a fabulous stay. ( Lee and Jill USA)
Grazie mille! This has been a truly restful stay and joyful holiday. Incredible views and a very special villa. (Katherine Cambridge)#
From the Owner
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Presently running: Tuscan Cooking courses; Figurative Drawing classes; Yoga retreats; guitar-making courses; film-making courses; business retreats/seminars. Own courses invited/arranged on request.
45 minutes to Viareggio on the coast; idyllic Cinque Terre about an hour.
Pisa just over 1 hour; car hire recommended.
Bagni di Lucca 10 minutes car/bus; Lucca 30 minutes; Florence an hour and a half; Siena 2 hours.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Contact Jason for all booking enquiries. A non-refundable 20% deposit is required on confirmation.
Saturday - flexible depending on adjacent bookings.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Private Chef
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- winery tours
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- 1000 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 7 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 8 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 9 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- 10 bathrooms - 8 en-suite, 2 across hall from bedroom.
- 10 Bedrooms, Sleeps 20
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Bedroom 10
- Description of sleeping capacity: Ideal for 8 to 20 people: accommodation flexible Notes on bedrooms: 8 doubles/2 twins - further accommodation and flexible arrangements possible on request.
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Formal 17th Century garden behind villa with views of olive groves and valley. Our pool is in a tranquil spot in the olive grove overlooking the Villa and mountains. We call it a 'splash' pool because it is 6m x 3.5m (20x12ft). We would advise that if your holiday is based solely on the swimming pool it may not be ideal. However, the pool will keep you cool, is the perfect setting in which to drink an evening cocktail, and is perfect for younger children. For Olympic/wild swimmers, the nearby Serchio river (10 mins drive) is beautiful and we know some secret spots which we are happy to share with you - just keep it to yourselves! In the garden is a sturdy and large rustic table which will seat 18 or more; a gas barbecue; loungers/sun chairs; a fountain; outside lighting; steps up to the olive grove & pool area (with gate for small kids). Front of house is a large, gated gravel courtyard with room for up to 7 vehicles, opposite a Baroque chapel. Land: almost an acre in total. Utility Room: Dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Further services available on request such as weekly cleaning, changing of towels and linen at additional cost. Other: Further space currently undergoing decoration includes open attic 'artists' studio with skylights, and cantina/underground storage.