House in Villamblard, Dordogne, France - Peaceful Rural Location, 5 Minutes Walk to Village, 30 Minutes Drive to Nearest Airport
A superb self-catering, period manor house in beautiful elevated setting, in the heart of the Dordogne. Extensive grounds. Private 11 x 5m swimming pool. Within walking distance of village with local amenities. The house is also equidistant from the city of Perigueux to the north and the historic town of Bergerac to the south. Off the tourist route yet within reach of medieval towns such as St Emillion, Sarlat and Domme. Flexible accommodation makes this house suitable for groups.
Top Traveller Review
Excellent family house in great location
About the Owner
The property was purchased in 1988 by myself.
I love rural France, especially the Dordogne - the food, wine and countryside and architecture. This is why I bought Les Amandiers. It is a very special house in a perfect location. My business is architectural antiques, so I have spent a lot of time hunting down some interesting pieces to put into the house and to restore it. Les Amandiers is a home not just a holiday house and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.
5 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
Excellent family house in great location
We had our annual family holiday here with 14 members ranging from 78 to twins aged 8 and all enjoyed a super week. The house is even better that the listing which does not do it justice. It was spotless and had masses of equipment and room for the whole family. Lots of activities in and outside with the pool and croquet court being the two favorites. The town?village is very near and the shops provided all we needed.Location is excellent. We found Karen and Jason very friendly and helpful .One small fault, there were masses of wine and small glasses but no beer glasses. We definitely would recommend this property.
A piece of paradise.
We are not even home, just off the train at Folkstone and already wishing we were back at the house. Five families, 9 adults and 7 kids (4-10yrs) could be a recipe for disaster, but the space and freedom ment we all had a fabulous couple of weeks. Particular favorite memory's will be the view out of the end window on the balcony, where the window seat gives you just the most amazing ever changing view; the pool to cool down in, the fishing lake, (just missed hooking a really good sized carp, the tennis courts (more dodge ball tennis than Andy Murray) and the main house kitchen where we cooked up a storm and the terrace where we ate, drank and played cards, games and talked well into the night. The pictures really don't do the place justice, it's a real home from home and we feel privileged to have stayed there. The 'gardians' Karen and Jason are helpful, there if you need them and not when you don't. Having experienced previous on site help that wasn't actually helpful, they were just great. Its been an amazing two weeks, thank you:)
Wonderful Property - Great Location
This is a gem of a property. The location is great - a short stroll down the hill into Villlamblard. A small and very french town with a well stocked shop; a lively Monday market and while we were there a food festival on Friday night serving fresh steaks, mussels, paella and wine in the covered market square. The castle is also worth a visit.
The property is clean and elegantly stocked with every nick-nack you could possibly need. We were two families. (4 parents - 7 kids 8-20) and the house allowed us all space to be individual and wonderful communal areas on the balcony and round the pool for meals and chats into the small hours.
While not in the house we travelled to Perigaux, Bergerac and Brantome. We canoed on the Dorgogne at Limeuil (one way - downstream with a van to take us back). We also shot the wier at Brantome (got stuck on it actually!) and generally ate and drank our way round this beautiful.region.
I would not hesitate in returning at any time of year.
The perfect location
A perfect setting for our family reunion of 19. The village is great and the house and setting something special. The house is full of character with plenty of room and all the facilities that were advertised. We had all age ranges and everyone loved it! The pool, the lake, the gardens all perfect. The kitchen area and outside dining balcony were spot on for this group. I would absolutely recommend this!
Activity and Interests
Nearest beach is 2 hour drive, beyond Bordeaux. The Arcahon Basin with long sandy beaches, good restaurants.
Airports: (car hire is available at these airports).
Berergac 30 minutes drive. Bordeaux 1.5 hours drive, located off ring-road. There are other regional airports at Limoges, Poitiers and La Rochelle serviced by Ryan Air.
Approx 10 hours drive from Calais. Approx 6 hours drive from St Malo. The Dordogne is a rural area and therefore a car is recemended.
5 minutes walk into Villamblard.
15 minutes drive to Mussidan (small town).
30 minutes drive to Bergerac (historic town on river).
30 minutes drive to Periguuex (city).
1.5 hours drive to St Emilllion (world heritage site - famous for it wines).
From Les Amandiers you can walk down into the pretty village of Villamblard to collect your bread and croissants! You will also find a small market on Monday mornings. Other shops are the pharmacy, boucherie, 2 small supermarkets (spa type shops), iron monger, hairdressers, bar, bank, doctor and the old distillery - where they produce various liqueurs and spirits. A tourist information office is located in the ruins of the old Chateau.
There is a market most days at one of the local towns, even on a Sunday, so there's plenty to see! The wines of this area are varied and a visit to a chateau to taste and buy a worthwhile experience. The sweet wine of Monbazillic and produced south of Bergerac and the red wine of Pecharmant to the north. St Emillion is famous and a worthwhile trip. Food lovers will enjoy the variety of local produce, the Dordogne being a gastronomic centre. Truffles, walnuts and foie gras are just a few examples. The Dordogne has a wealth of Chateaux, unspoilt valleys, prehistoric caves and medieval towns. There are also many beautiful gardens to visit. For the more active there is canoeing on the rivers, walking, ridding and cycling. Details of other market attractions and restaurants are left for guests at the house and our on-site guardians can help you with any queries.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A booking form + terms and conditions will be issued. To secure a booking a non-refundable deposit of 33% of the total cost will be requested when returning the booking form. A further refundable deposit of £500 will be requested to cover damage or breakages at the property. Balance of payment becomes due not less than 8 weeks prior to your stay. If your booking is within 8 weeks full payment is required + the breakage deposit. Bookings are not accepted from persons under 18 years of age.
Changeover day is Saturday. Guests are asked to depart by 9.30am to allow for cleaning. Arrival guests at 5pm. Please enquire if you need to arrive or depart outside these times. Out of season changeover days can be varied, please ask.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- winery tours
- bird watching
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Main house: bathroom 1 shower, bath, basin, bidet. Separate wc. Bathroom 2 shower, basin. Separate wc. Bathroom 3 rolltop bath, wc, basin. Annexe1: shower, wc. Bath 1 rolltop bath, wc, basin. Annexe2: shower, basin, wc. (Annexe3: bath, wc, basin)
- 9 Bedrooms, Sleeps 20
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 18 (9 Bedrooms + 2 cots) Notes on bedrooms: Main house: Bed 1 double. Bed 2 double. Bed 3 2 x singles. Bed 4 double. Bed 5 double (onto terrace) wash basin. Bed 6 2 x singles, wash basin. Annexe1: Bed 7 double, wash basin. Bed 8 2 x singles. Annexe2: Bed 9 double, wash basin. (Bed 10 double)
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The layout of the house makes it ideal for families or groups of friends. The house is traditionally furnished with French furniture to retain the country atmosphere. Out of season we offer 'Petit Amandiers' the main house only - suitable for couples or small groups - please ask us for details and prices. The pool and lawn are fenced off making it easy to keep toddlers contained. The extensive grounds with woodland behind make it a fun place for children to explore. Four Portable Air Conditioning units for additional comfort in High Summer plus electric fans. We have heating for lets out of season. Our on site guardians can help you with any queries you may have during your stay. Welcome packs are provided. Please ask if you require simple meals, shopping or baby sitting and we will try and arrange this for you. Outside: The pool is 11 X 5m with stone surround and is fenced off. The pool can be heated upon request (extra cost applicable - please ask for details). Pool chairs, loungers umbrellas and tables. Walled lawn area with croquet set, outdoor chess set. Grass tennis court (hard courts for hire in village). Barbeque (charcoal). Under terrace seating area with dining table, upper terrace seating area with dining table. Annexes (2) each have table and chairs. Lake, garden and orchard area. Mature trees, plenty of areas to escape the sun and to relax. Extensive woodland behind the house for walking. Japanese tea house close to the lake, with sauna for winter use only. Utility Room: 2 washing machines, tumble dryer, fridge/freezer, ironing board/iron. Baby equipment - 2 cots, high chair, plastic baby bath. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included (not baby linen or pool towels). Linen is changed weekly. Cleaning before and after a stay is included - for stays of more than 1 week an interim clean is included. We can arrange extra cleaning for an additional fee. Other: Games room (1st floor level) with snooker table, seating area, leather sofas. CD player. Table tennis on ground floor.