In the heart of the St Emilion vineyards, Le Clos sits on a quiet rural road. The house has been carefully restored into a luxury, well equipped country home, retaining all the original features and overlooking a mature ‘park’ like garden, with hammocks and swings hanging from beautiful old trees. A large heated sunny pool with spacious terrace overlooks an undulating garden with its own bamboo forest.
The spectacular views of the vineyards surrounding this quiet rural spot makes Le Clos a very special place. The house is fitted to a very high standard with six king size bedrooms, including three newly fitted luxury bathrooms.
Leave the high spec kitchen of Le Clos and step onto the terraced area, shaded by mature lime trees, for relaxed al fresco dining or an informal BBQ . Flanked by a full size petanque pitch enjoy a glass of crisp white wine whilst pitting yourself against the skills of your friends and family. The expansive lawn lends itself to badminton, croquet and ping pong and general family fun.
Close by there is golf at Cameyrac and Chateau Des Vigiers, horse riding, canoeing at Saint Foye La Grande and tennis, as well as walking and cycling paths. Chateau visits with private wine tastings abound nearby at St Emiion and Pomerol to name a few, either a short drive or cycle ride away.
Libourne and Castillon-La-Bataille are the nearest large towns where you can source fresh produce at local markets, making your stay in France a gastronomique experience. Site seeing, shopping and activities are all close by, either at the cosmopolitan city and Unesco World Heritage site of Bordeaux or Bergerac. The oyster shacks ,fish restaurants and beautiful beaches of Cap Ferret and Arcachon make for a memorable day visit, only 1.5 hours drive away. The house is easily accessible from the airports of Bordeaux (45 minutes) and Bergerac (1 hour)
Le Clos provides ideal accommodation for families or parties enjoying a holiday, special occasions or groups seeking wine tasting - we are often booked for the St Emilion ‘Open Doors’ festival in May or wine events in September.
Le Clos is a special place we are pleased to share with people looking for a unique French experience, a home from home.
About the Owner
My sister and I (and husbands) bought the house to enjoy quiet, relaxing holidays in France -as a complete change from our busy working/family city lives. We enjoy the peace, space and tranquility of the surrounding countryside and there is a large pool to enjoy in the mature gardens. The house and self contained, separate gite (no access to house or garden) boast all mod cons for easy living. We both have children of varying ages (teenagers to babies) so cater for all age groups. The weather is superb, there are endless restaurants/cafe bars nearby, excellent daily local markets and lots of activities close by such as golf, horse riding, canoeing etc. A lovely former chateau/farmhouse, close to St Emilion, Bordeaux and Bergerac. Do as much or as little as you like on holiday. V relaxing.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'We are fully ensconsed at Le Clos - and even with all the substantial expectation that we arrived with we are quite blown away by its wonderfulness!' - Robin
"We have farewelled Le Clos with much sadness - we truly had a wonderful time and didn't want it to end. We seemed to do a lot over the week visiting Bergerac, Bordeaux and a lot of touring around the villages closeby. But also enjoying the garden and house" - Megan
"We had a lovely time. Le Clos was a really lovely house, with a gorgeous garden & we hadn’t realised we would be quite to rural & surrounded by vineyards – really lovely. We went to both Bordeaux & St Emilion a couple of times & had a very nice visit to Chateaux Lussac for some wine tasting. We even managed to bring a couple of bottles home with us, despite the weight restrictions (also a miniature vine from St Emilion, although there won’t be much chance of any grapes on it in our climate!)" - Debbie
Thank you so much for such an amazing week in your beautiful home.
We all, kids and adults included, had a great time. It wins best villa holiday to date. Anna
From the Owner
“Le Clos is a grand French country house, set within 3 acres of private garden with a large 13x5m heated pool, shaded terrace/BBQ, and boule pitch. The house and garden is surrounded by vineyards - the world famous St Emilion is 10 minutes drive away. It is a peaceful, relaxing location, in one of the most beautiful areas of Southwest France. It is quiet, away from the crowds/city living yet much to do for those who enjoy activity eg golf, horse riding, walking, cycle riding in the countryside, canoeing, sight seeing, shopping (Bordeaux is 45 mins away by car), the beach (Arcachon is 1.5 hours drive away). There are lots of restaurants and cafe bars to suit all tastes and budgets. There is also a separate gite (attached to the house) for grandparents/extended family(sleeps 4 - ask owner).”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Numerous wine tasting courses in St Emilion - just walk into the wine shops or ask at the helpful Tourist Board (English spoken) for information and cost. Drive in to wine chateaux for tasting and buying in probably the best wine producing region of France.
Arachon is 1.5 hours drive away, west of Bordeaux. It has the largest sand dune in Europe (it can be seen from space) and the town itself is a charming unspoilt tourist spot, with excellent restaurants and cafes and shops. Long clean beaches. Very French with few overseas tourists - a real gem!
The 2 nearest airports are Bergerac - an hour's drive away - or Bordeaux - 45 minutes drive away. The owner's will provide full directions prior to your trip.
The charming village of Lussac is 2km from the house and offers bakery, butcher, newsagent, small bar, doctor/pharmacy etc - everything you need during your stay. The medieval town of St Emilion is 7km away (10 mins by car) and is a world heritage site. The nearest towns are Libourne and Castillion - both 15 minutes drive away from the house with shops, restaurants, hypermarkets. Bergerac and Bordeaux are an hours drive by car and there is an abundance of shops, restaurants & cafes here.
Lussac is 2km away and near the square there are local supermarkets, bakery, butcher, pharmacy, newsagent, pharmacy, doctor, bank. Libourne, Castillion and Coutras towns all offer Carrefour/Le Clerc/Intermarche supermarkets for large food shopping and also shops/restaurants/bars etc. libourne and Castillion are on the Dordogne so numerous river side restaurants. Also local markets on certain days of the week for home grown produce and meat etc. Bordeaux is a large cosmopolitan city and 45 mins away. Historic Bergerac is relaxed shopping and sight seeing with a leisurely meal on the river or near the square. Pomerol, St Emilion etc are 10 mins drive away and lots of wine tasting and courses.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
6 night minimum stay
for 6 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Contact the owners Lisa Stokes for a Booking Form and standard Terms and Conditions.
Bookings confirmed with a deposit of 25% of total rent and the balance due (75%) not less than 8 weeks prior to rental. English speaking property managing couple on hand to meet and greet and also to answer any queries.
Changeover is every Saturday. Arrive after 5pm (to allow house/gite to be thoroughly cleaned prior to guests' arrival) & greeted by English couple. Welcoming food basket. Departure at 10am on day of departure, to allow for cleaning for next guests
Notes on prices:
The house is available to rent on a weekly basis but for weekend rates please contact the owner.
25% of total rental is due at the time of the booking, as a security deposit, to secure the booking. The remainder of the rental cost (75%) is due not less than 8 weeks before the start of the holiday.
15% of the total rental is payable as a returnable damage deposit with remainder of the rental fee. This is returned if no damage to property, garden or pool
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“All rooms have original French shuttered windows with views onto the garden or the surrounding vineyards/rolling countryside - this is France's oldest and finest wine-making region! Both house & gîte are arranged to accommodate families including children. Fully furnished & stocked incl a full sized cot, 4 travel cots, bed restrainers, high chairs, buggy, plastic plates etc for toddlers and board games/puzzles, toys and a selection of books/novels for adults & children. TV with English channels plus DVD library. We have tried to think of everything! The 3 acre private walled garden has several hammocks to laze in - a peaceful and quiet haven. The 13 x 5 m heated pool has a terrace with pool furniture & there is a full size boule pitch. Guests can enjoy a peaceful, relaxing, French holiday”
- chateau / country house
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- winery tours
- horse riding
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs: master bedroom - ensuite: bath/shower & 2 x hand basins. Adjoining WC (separate). 2 x double bedrooms: shower ensuites & WC Upstairs: Master bedroom ensuite: shower & WC Large family bathr'm: bath & shower & WC (for other 2 bedrooms) .
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (6 bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Downstairs: 1st Master: super king size hand made cast iron bed B'oom 2 & 3: each queen size beds, detachable for lge singles Upstairs: B'room 3 & 4: have queen size. Bedroom 5: 1 x double bed 2nd Master: super king hand made cast iron bed
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house is well suited for children - 1 x Silver Cross cot, 2 x travel cots, 1 x high chair & 2 x attachable high chairs (to table) & 1 x high chair, buggy, plastic crockery/cutlery for kids, hand blenders, books/games/toys etc. Supply of kids' DVDs and English TV channels. It is a family house - kitted out for all ages. 3 x reception rooms - 1 has TV/DVD so parents can use other reception room for adult space/time. The house has a welcoming yet "homely" but has a French feel. It is excellent for family celebrations or large parties looking for a relaxing memorable holiday- it is very comfortable with all the mod cons and more. Its a large house so lots of room for quiet 'me' time. The kitchen is the hub of the house and great for cooking and socialising. There is a door from the kitchen onto a large terrace shaded by 3 old lime trees so easy out of door French living in warm weather. A friendly and helpful local English couple manage the property & are on hand to answer queries. Outside: Outside the kitchen door is a large shady terrace (mature lime trees) with BBQ & 2 x large cast iron tables with 12 cast iron chairs. There are swings & hammocks in the large oak/chestnut trees (great for reading/relaxing). Also garden furniture to enjoy the beautiful lawn. There is a boule pitch in the 3 acres of private walled grounds, next to the terrace. The 13x5m private heated pool is surrounded by a terrace with 12 x loungers, umbrellas and wooden (cloth seats) chairs. Ping pong table in one of the open barns. Croquet, badminton & giant Jenga bricks for use in the garden. The garden has a number of mature trees eg magnolia, figs, plums etc & is quiet and peaceful. A true haven! Access to the garden or heated pool area only by guests renting the house (the separate 2 x bed gite, available for rental, is attached to the house but with no access to house/garden). The house is down a quiet country lane & hidden behind a 7' high brick wall 2 x large wooden gates. Private & secluded. Utility Room: Adjoining kitchen: traditional French utility room + large farmhouse sink, with washing machine & tumble dryer. Lots of counter space for prep of vegetables etc as well as storage space for food, wine & vegetables. Toaster, 2x kettles, latte machine, iron Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Rental includes all linen, towels & large pool towels. The property is cleaned prior to your arrival and at end of the stay. Extra cleaning mid week/stay is 18 euros ph and is arranged in advance of your stay (paid direct to the cleaner, in cash) Other: There is a reception room upstairs with sofa/chairs and table and chairs for playing board games and puzzles. Plus well stocked library of children's and adult's novels and children's games. A place for peace & quiet & to chill out away from rest of house