Beach House in Armona Island, Olhao, Eastern Algarve, Portugal - Renovation, a Stones Throw from Beach
Refugio dos Putos roughly translates as Kids Haven but it’s not just the children who will love this gem of an island. It was love at first sight for us when we visited Armona and it was just a matter of waiting for the perfect place to come up for us to buy. Armona is the best kept secret on the Algarve - perhaps in the whole of Portugal. A slightly quirky, little known island - kept secret by those Portuguese in the know. More like a laid back Caribbean island than somewhere in Europe there is nothing quite like sitting at Carlos's restaurant on the pier after the day trippers have gone sipping a glass of cold wine as the sun goes down on the mainland. There are no cars, no boutiques no loud clubs or mopeds or cash points. There are restaurants, cafes and 2 shops selling almost everything you need including daily fresh bread. Sheltered beaches for swimming and 4 miles of glorious white sand on the Atlantic side. Refugio dos Putos was worth waiting for and is now available for you.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
comments taken from trip advisor
Search "Should I stay on Armona"
We too stayed at Refugio dos Putos on Armona. The villa was gorgeous, all your needs catered for with a huge outdoor terrace with a barbecue, hammock for lazing around, a fantastic Morrocan style corner sofa on the terrace - perfect for simply relaxing and a massive table for al fresco dining (that was just the outside!). Inside the 2 bathrooms are clean and contemporary - bedrroms are well furnished and expertly arranged - we are a family of 6 and everyone was more than comfortable staying here. The TV and audio equipment were spot on with full British TV and DVD player. The kitchen is equipped with all your essentials without being cluttered.
Gater To finish my reply, we stayed at villa Refugio Dos Putos located towards the centre of the Island. The location proved to be perfect as the central location means all sides of the Island are easily accessed. There is a childrens play area very close by,
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The lagoon beaches are 2 minutes from the house and as they face the mainland are shallow and calm and perfect for toddlers. The Atlantic beach goes on as far as you can see and even in summer is rarely busy. It is wild and occasionally rough. Great care should be taken at these times.
The islands are a marine reserve so are perfect for bird and wildlife watching.
Refugio dos Putos sits 97 steps from the sand but almost every path you take on Armona leads to the sea. Olhao on the mainland is a charming authentic fishing port with fascinating Moorish architecture and cobbled streets. Within 2 mins from the ferry dock is a supermarket that can cater to all your needs selling everything you might need including fresh milk. in summer there is a cocktail bar on the Atlantic beach. Great fishing off the pier and of course pier jumping when it gets too hot.
Faro airport 15 minutes drive. 20 euros approx in taxi. Free parking on streets Olhao side. very safe as near police station. Ferries run hourly in summer but regularly throughout the whole season. The ferry takes about 12 minutes and costs a couple of euros only. There is a 24 hour water taxi service which can be picked up from the pier in Olhao or phoned from Armona. It is 20 euros for the boat - so if there are 6 of you it works out the same and only takes 5 minutes. Trains run from Faro.
Olhao is just across the water and packed with cafes and restaurants. The biggest most important fish market on the Algarve makes it worth the trip and there is a Saturday market on the seafront. Faro with its old walled town is a 10 minute drive. Roman ruins and palace at Estoi -10 minute drive. Tavira nice old town on river 15 minute drive. Spanish border within an hour and Seville 2hours. Lisbon about 3 hours in the car. A driver for trips can sometimes be arranged.
We are 2 minutes from the summer supermarket and central cafe (great for breakfast) which is opposite the park and 10 minutes walk from the jetty. Cashpoints, banks, chemists all in Olhao so on your doorstep.
The island has no cars and paths which vary in evenness. There are 5 steps up to the house which is then all on one level. Armona is not likely to be easy to access in a wheelchair - not least because of the need to get on and off the ferry. The house is 10 minutes walk from the ferry pier.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
25% deposit secures booking. Full payment 12 weeks in advance
Usually Saturday in the summer but all days considered.
25% deposit and the remainder 12 weeks before departure
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Air Conditioning
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Television ...
- Video Library ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite off main bedroom, WC, shower and sink. Main bathroom with toilet, bath/shower, sink and washing machine. Bathrooms are brand new and fitted with top of the range fixtures. Water pump maintains water pressure and large water heater.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with large double and en-suite with aircon. Bedroom 2 'the den' with bunk beds and aircon. All the kids might need. DVD, toys and books. Bedroom 3 with twin beds and aircon.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house is surrounded by a lovely terrace which is fully fenced and gated - just perfect for little ones. 2 beach towels are provided in addition to bath towels. Luxury 300 count linen, air con and quality furniture in all rooms. The air-conditioners can also heat in the winter but there is a wood burning stove to make it really cosy in the winter. Wood Not supplied. Undergone extensive renovation. Everything is new and done to the highest standards. Everything you need for a perfect laid back beach holiday is provided. Internet dongle if not charged regularly by other guests may need to be charged in phone shop in Olhao Rio shopping. Outside: The terrace is gorgeous and due to the position of the house gets sun and shade all day so is bound to please everyone at the same time. There is a traditional brick built BBQ and an outdoor shower for washing off after the beach. A large shaded terrace covers an ample teak table and chairs for 8. There is a hammock to while away the days and an absolutely wonderful Moroccan style seating area. All the outside space is subtly lit and just as pleasing at night. Utility Room: Washing machine in main bathroom. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Full linen change weekly. Personal meet and greet on mainland by ferry terminal. 2 beach towels supplied each week in addition to bath towels. Other: All you might need and don't want to travel with. Large beach mat, beach trolley and cooler bags. Beach toys, cricket and portable table tennis for patio table. Shopping trolley for supermarket trips to Olhao. Iphone charger. Chargeable internet dongle.