Frongoch Boatyard, Aberdovey, Snowdonia National Park, Gwynned, North Wales - Rural Location, Alongside Private Boatyard, Moorings, Slipway and Waterside
Smugglers Cove is 2 adjacent buildings, separated by just a few feet, one the converted Chapel called Chapel House, with 5 bedrooms, and the other Quarry Cottage with 2 bedrooms. The lounge, kitchen and dining room in Chapel House is set up to accommodate the whole party. There is an additional and separate small kitchen, lounge and dining area for 4 people in Quarry Cottage. Smugglers Cove is centrally heated with an additional Log Burner in both buildings. There is a large open, but secure, area around the cottages and an enclosed 'Mediterranean style' garden accessed through Quarry Cottage.
About the Owner
From the Owner
“Smugglers Cove was a completely derelict cottage, chapel & house in 2006 when with the help of the Wales Tourist Board, & a group of Eco Architechts, the 3 Owners, John Wassell, Geoff Hill & Christopher Smith renovated them into a well designed, well laid out holiday cottage accommodation for family or groups looking for family reunions & get togethers in an outstanding area of natural beauty. Geoff Hill, one of the 3 Owners, runs his coloured big top tent rental business from the boatyard, is often on site, & is interested in all things maritime. He also runs the charismatic Picture House [Cinema] in nearby Towen, which is noted for its exciting choice of films. Smugglers Cove sits alongside Frongoch Boatyard,alo owned by John, Geoff & Chris & has its own slipway, moorings & beach.”
Activity and Interests
Smugglers Cove is located approximately 3 miles down the Dyfi estuary from the sea. There are extensive beaches at Smugglers Cove when the tide is out, but rock and shingle when the tide is in. There are extensive sea beaches at Aberdovey, 3 to 4 miles away.
Use of cars is highly recommended to get to Smugglers Cove although there is a bus service, with a request stop at Frongoch Boatyard, between Machynlleth and Aberdovey. The nearest international airports are Manchester and Birmingham both approx 100 miles away. The nearest railway stations are at Machynlleth 5 miles away, or Aberdovey 4 miles away.
Pennal village 1.5 miles. Aberdovey 4 miles. Machynlleth 5 miles.
The nearest shop, pub/hotel is in the village of Pennal. The nearest supermarket, the Coop in Machynlleth which also has an off licence, post office and restaurants. There are restaurants in Aberdovey, but mainly open in the summer.
- Booking Notes:
We ask for a 20% deposit by cheque to secure a booking reservation with the balance 8 weeks prior to a rental. We ask for a £150 security deposit with the balance against significant breakages or late departure, which is returnable by cheque within 10 days of departure. We charge an additional £25 pw for an animal to cover extra cleaning. We accept animals with conditions.
Our usual weekly changeover day is Saturday. We accept short 3 day weekend breaks and 4 day mid week breaks at 70% of the weekly rate out of main season.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Smugglers Cove is situated in a quiet corner of Frongoch Boatyard. The Boatyard is on the tidal Dyfi Estuary, 3 miles up estuary from Aberdovey, with its own waterfront, slipway, moorings & hardstanding with exclusive access to these waterfront facilities which guests are free to use. There are also 3 "boutique" camping pitches right on the waters edge available for rental. During the 2nd World War, the slipway was used for access to the estuary for training of Army DUK vehicles, & today the boatyard has full facilities for getting boats into & out of the water. A popular pastime is building your own bonfire on the waterfront for a beachside BBQ. Smugglers Cove is just a few miles from The Centre for Alternative Technology [CAT] just outside Machynlleth, well worth a days visit.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Quarry Cottage - 1 bath/shower room with wc on ground floor. Chapel House - 2 shower rooms and 2 wcs on ground floor. 1 bathroom and wc on 1st floor.
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14/16 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Chapel House Ground floor - 1 with double 4 poster, 2 with twin beds, 3 with bunk beds. First floor - 4 with double bed, 5 with double bed. Quarry Cottage Ground floor - 6 with twin beds. First floor - 7 with double bed.
- Notes on accommodation: There is a 10ft trampoline in the garden for use by children, one at a time, under parental supervision. There is direct access to the Dyfi estuary waterside and slipway through our own adjacent boatyard. Outside there is a patio with tables, chairs, [parasols in summer] & BBQ & a large rough grassed area. There is a separate private mediterranean style garden. Outside: There is BBQ provided outdoors, a 10ft diameter trampoline usable by youngsters with conditions, and access to the Dyfi foreshore with waterside activities. There is a strong tide and swimming and other activities should be undertaken with care. Guests are permitted to bring their own boats/canoes and launch them from our own slipway. We have licensed moorings available for larger craft. Utility Room: There is an outside utility room with washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen is included in every rental but towels are not provided. The property is cleaned after every rental.